• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Check out these Grades! A Graphic Post! *DELETED*

58 posts in this topic

Based on my experience with CGC grading DCs of this vintage, I think this is a pretty good grade. But who the heck is "John Forte"? never heard of him. But that sure looks like a Curt Swan cover.

I've got some Superboys in about that range. It's kind of disappointing to see the grade come back like that.

Believe me that I am not trying to explain away the grades BUT (you knew it was coming) the single most important thing about grading is COVER GLOSS .. I would say even more than general wear.. Does this book look new? As far as the TOS goes, it is a great book structurally, but it doesn't "look" that new. I think that the graders were a little too harsh though and I would definitely recommend that you call me to get the graders notes on the books...

Also, when were they graded? That has a lot to do with it too. CGC graders go through tough and lax periods like they all do.

the single most important thing about grading is COVER GLOSS

Not according to the scan of Ricky's 9.2 MTU 1!!

Also, when were they graded? That has a lot to do with it too. CGC graders go through tough and lax periods

This is an urban legend...

CGC is not always consistent

That's for sure, but I don't buy into the claim that CGC has changed their standards over time (lax periods, strict periods, etc.,), they've always been erratic! And I'm talking from 1st hand experience since I've been submitting since they opened...just about every batch has a book or two (3?) that leaves me shaking my head? confused.gif

some real nice looking books there gorgo, and it always helps to post nice scans like those when selling the books. even though cgc screwed up on some of the grades, the discerning collector can look at the scan and go the extra mile to get a nicer book than the grade displays.

an interesting point brought up about how much cgc weighs cover gloss into the grade. like gorgo i have some gorgeous looking early silver marvels that came back in the 6.0-7.5 range that are structurally perfect with no creases. i pre-graded tham all at VF and above and am now thinking that the cover gloss thing could be a major factor in the grades received.

Look at the bright side. laugh.gif At least they were very friendly, courteous, & helpful while they were giving you one of the worst drubbings on grades I've ever seen examples of! Not everybody that gives you the Royal Shaft will do so in such an effervescent and enthusiastic manner. At least, in this way, by their professional and positive attitude, they somewhat mollified the horrendous reaming you received, not to mention the time and money you wasted and potential for reaping just rewards if the books hadn't been passed over and been graded with an ounce of realism. Crack them and auction them raw with the actual grades. I've participated in your auctions. You can grade.

gorgo,

as in my other thread i mentioned that CGC graders should lay off the pipe, im assuming that you agree with me. the later number spidey's got the lowest grade of them all, that was a hard one to figure out?

pimpy

Wow, I bet CGC isn't too happy with your honesty here! I'll pay NM guide prices for your TOS books, and any others you wish to sell! I'll PM you and see if you'll accept my generous offer. I am a very wealthy retired individual and I live in your area Gorgo, and I've bought three of your books that look like the ones you posted here, and I'm very lucky to own these books. I'd love to see your collection and will pay you top dollar for any books (or all of them) regardless of what cgc says they are graded. I'll be happy to determine the grades for myself, since I don't use them. - Alex

Gorgo,

Were all of these submissions comics that you bought raw, or were any of them comics that had already been graded and were resubmissions? I've found from experience, that if you resubmit a comic for grading, the chances of it scoring higher the second time around are favorable. Did you try that? If so, what were the results?

Great scans by the way! Best I've seen on CGC comics where the reflections wreak havoc with distortion. Did you use just the standard settings on your software or modify compression & other settings? Great scanning job!

Sorry folks, but CGC has officially warned me that they are not going to allow me to submit anymore books to them because of content on this post. Because of this, I will not be using them again for my grading services on any of my books. I have removed all the posts from this thread as a voluntary courtesy to CGC staff, and in addition have respectfully asked them for a check in the amount of the lost/damaged books which I have patiently waited for since February of this year. Mistakes happen, and CGC has made a maximum effort here to remedy this problem, and I understand their efforts and genuinely appreciate their hard work.

CGC is a great bunch of folks to deal with, and I have had a wonderful time using their services. As a loyal customer since CGC opened their doors, I would like to especially thank Harshen & Scott for all their time & phone calls and kindness in helping reslove the issues that came upon us over this last year.

Happy collecting & Merry Christmas to all forum members!

Gorgo signing off - smile.gif

Sorry folks, but CGC has officially warned me that they are not going to allow me to submit anymore books to them because of content on this post.

Ahem, excuse me, but could you run that by me again? They are refusing submissions from you, because of this thread? I would like a response from CGC on this please, BEFORE I have an aneurysm.

Phil

lol that sounds pretty stupid. This couldn't even be remotely deemed bad. He's just posting CGC graded books and saying that he may or may not agree with the grade.. Does this mean everyone on eBay is going to get a cease and decist order when they show a scan of the book in the auction and in the text say they don't agree with the grade?

Brian