• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New ebay auctions sure to stir the pot!

69 posts in this topic

Undergrading consistently across the board is NOT evidence of stricter/tighter/better grading 893naughty-thumb.gif In this case, all the difference in grades means is that richnerd lost himself a lot of $$$ in final auction prices by deciding to sell his books in a CGG holder vs the CGC holder. I hope he is able to recoup at least his grading costs for the whole experiment.

What you're missing here is that you, and most everyone on these Forums, are fairly knowledgeable collectors about the two companies.

Take someone away from these Forums and what they will start seeing is a strcter grading company across the board (using these and other examples). Their money will start to gravitate towards the stricter company's slabs and the impresson of lax grading will start to haunt CGC. Thus CGC slabbed prices will start to fall.

Same phenomenom happened in the slabbed card market as new slabbing companies emerged....

Jim

GO TO BED NOW !

] ARE YOU WAITING FOR HIM?

Jealous

Don't be hating on me!!!!!

flowerred.gifflowerred.gif Why can't we be friends...why can't we be friends ? flowerred.gifflowerred.gif

flowerred.gifflowerred.gif Because I don't like foreigners! flowerred.gif

GO TO BED NOW !

Jealous

flowerred.gifflowerred.gif Why can't we be friends...why can't we be friends ? flowerred.gifflowerred.gif

893whatthe.gif

Undergrading consistently across the board is NOT evidence of stricter/tighter/better grading 893naughty-thumb.gif In this case, all the difference in grades means is that richnerd lost himself a lot of $$$ in final auction prices by deciding to sell his books in a CGG holder vs the CGC holder. I hope he is able to recoup at least his grading costs for the whole experiment.

What you're missing here is that you, and most everyone on these Forums, are fairly knowledgeable collectors about the two companies.Take someone away from these Forums and what they will start seeing is a strcter grading company across the board (using these and other examples). Their money will start to gravitate towards the stricter company's slabs and the impresson of lax grading will start to haunt CGC. Thus CGC slabbed prices will start to fall.

Same phenomenom happened in the slabbed card market as new slabbing companies emerged....

Jim

Great, Jim, so we are counting on uninformed newbies to support the fledgling grading company based on a semblance of "stricter = better" grading? So should CGC go across the board and undergrade by a full 2 grades (all NM are now VF-) in order to compete and cement their market dominance? Highly unlikely.

If I follow your logic above, then 3PG can outstrip CGG and CGC right now by undergrading by 4 full grades confused-smiley-013.gif

As a collector, the lower prices created by lower grades are a boon. As a seller though, I'd be hesitant, nay foolish, to send my books that I INTEND on selling to a non-established company that has yet to prove themselves as valid graders in the eyes of the community and who think the best way to gain that cred and respect is by copying CGC and undergrading every book sent to them in order to win a pizzing match, the end result being, I get less $$$ at auction end.

GO TO BED NOW !

Jealous

893whatthe.gif
flowerred.gifflowerred.gif 'Night ladies! I'm off to bed for the second time tonight! 893frustrated.gifflowerred.gif[/b]

Great, Jim, so we are counting on uninformed newbies to support the fledgling grading company based on a semblance of "stricter = better" grading?

I'm not counting on anything.....just looking at what happened in the slabbed card market that's starting to mirror itself here....

So should CGC go across the board and undergrade by a full 2 grades (all NM are now VF-) in order to compete and cement their market dominance? Highly unlikely.

No, not at this time....but what may occur in the short-term is a reassessment of CGC's price structure and a lowering.....

As a collector, the lower prices created by lower grades are a boon. As a seller though, I'd be hesitant, nay foolish, to send my books that I INTEND on selling to a non-established company that has yet to prove themselves as valid graders in the eyes of the community and who think the best way to gain that cred and respect is by copying CGC and undergrading every book sent to them in order to win a pizzing match, the end result being, I get less $$$ at auction end.

Well...what I've been seeing is CGG comics becoming more commonplace on eBay (a very visible access point for all collectors) and corresponding prices on these starting to rise. That is the reality outside these Forums....over time they "may" gain a small foothold (i.e. more credibility) and thus generate more business. At the same time, CGC comics will fall in price....

Jim

Jim, your assessment of CGG/CGC grading sounds very logical to me. I am unfamiliar with the card market though. As I mentioned elsewhere in another thread, I recently received several dozen slabs back from CGG. They are so tough on Modern books it is incredible. I submitted a prestige format book that looked like a 10.0 to me. Seriously and I am not joking, a Spider-Man/Batman book centered perfectly, corners as sharp as a knife, interior perfect, not a blemish anywhere. Came back a 9.4. My other assumed 9.6 and 9.8 books came back as 9.0 to 9.4. I did receive one 9.8. Maybe CGC would have given it a 10.0.

The problem with many CGG naysayers on these boards is that they are completely loyal to CGC. I have compared this before to somebody being loyal to their local sports franchise. Although CGG is certainly a "CGC knockoff", if they can do this and get away with it then more power to them. They provide a quality service and have several major advantages including pricing and turnaround. However, as there is just a $2 savings (with 20% Heritage discount) and just a few weeks longer turnaround on Modern books (and looser grading) I will continue to send my Moderns to CGC and let CGG have my pre '75 books. I was very happy with CGG's bronze grading. ------Sid

I know one thing I will do differently now, and that is this....when looking on ebay to buy a graded book I use to stay away from a CGG graded book, but now seeing that anything they grade is usually graded low, wouldn't it be smart to pick up a CGG book and send it to CGC if you know you could get a higher grade and more money?Oh and DARTH, the idea of sending these books in was a bet between me and my LCS. They paid the CGG fee's and for any book that came back lower then CGC they had to fork over a book that was on my want list. Which we agreed on before I sent them in. So I now have 8 holes filled in my collection.The big question for me is what my current auction books sell for, will really decide if I keep using them (CGG). The books cost me nothing so anything over the grading fee is a profit for me. QUIT HIJACKING MY THREADS!

JUST SHILL MY AUCTIONS!!!!!

I know one thing I will do differently now, and that is this....when looking on ebay to buy a graded book I use to stay away from a CGG graded book, but now seeing that anything they grade is usually graded low, wouldn't it be smart to pick up a CGG book and send it to CGC if you know you could get a higher grade and more money?

The big question for me is what my current auction books sell for, will really decide if I keep using them (CGG). The books cost me nothing so anything over the grading fee is a profit for me.

Yes, this is the big question. As a seller it seems unwise to submit Moderns to CGG as we are more than likely (but not guaranteed) to get a lower graded book than if it was submitted to CGC. However, as a buyer it does appear that you will get a better quality book for your money in buying a book that has been CGG graded. In the meantime, I have a bunch of CGGs that I'll be listing on Ebay tomorrow, along with some CGCs. It'll be interesting to see how they do. -----Sid