• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New ebay auctions sure to stir the pot!

69 posts in this topic

Well...what I've been seeing is CGG comics becoming more commonplace on eBay (a very visible access point for all collectors) and corresponding prices on these starting to rise.

My take on this Jim is that it is a temporary phenomenon due to the flippers among us who are financially capable willing to take the risk of of buying up the known undergraded CGG books, crack them out and reslab for higher to CGC. If all you are doing is speculating, this makes the most sense in the short term before CGG crashes and burns. I'm just not willing to support their product despite the easy money to be made using this dubious-at-best vehicle.

Well...what I've been seeing is CGG comics becoming more commonplace on eBay (a very visible access point for all collectors) and corresponding prices on these starting to rise.

My take on this Jim is that it is a temporary phenomenon due to the flippers among us who are financially capable willing to take the risk of of buying up the known undergraded CGG books, crack them out and reslab for higher to CGC. If all you are doing is speculating, this makes the most sense in the short term before CGG crashes and burns. I'm just not willing to support their product despite the easy money to be made using this dubious-at-best vehicle.

My take on this Darth is that sure, there are some board members questioning a few of CGG's business tactics and there are some unanswered questions. But to say that CGG will crash and burn is quite pessimistic. I am guessing the opposite will happen. I believe CGG will stay in busines and slowly get bigger, stronger and better and CGG graded books will become more commonplace. As to how this affects CGC and the slab market in general I do not know. But CGG is here to stay as far as I can see. And I am sure glad they are here mostly for the reason that CGC's turnaround time is too slow. That might just be one problem on it's own but for me it is a huge determining point. Sure, if I had books worth thousands I would spend the money for faster service. But as I (and most of us) count on the economy service for most of our grading I just cannot see waiting 3+ months. My CGG bronze and silver slabs take about three weeks. That's not overnight but it is not so long that I forgot what I even sent in. CGG is here to stay and I for one am better off because of it. -----Sid

GO TO BED NOW !

] ARE YOU WAITING FOR HIM?

Jealous

Don't be hating on me!!!!!

flowerred.gifflowerred.gif Why can't we be friends...why can't we be friends ? flowerred.gifflowerred.gif

flowerred.gifflowerred.gif Because I don't like foreigners! flowerred.gif

flowerred.gifflowerred.gif Damn Canandian!!,......You are a foreigner..... flowerred.gif

They are so tough on Modern books it is incredible.

Tough enough to consider it widespread intentional undergrading, mayhaps? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

...not a blemish anywhere. Came back a 9.4. My other assumed 9.6 and 9.8 books came back as 9.0 to 9.4. I did receive one 9.8. Maybe CGC would have given it a 10.0.

insane.gif This is the main problem with the pretender service and the influence on the newbie. I don't know if you were being facetious with the 10.0 comment, but I see a huge problem with people generalizing just as you had and equating cgg 9.8's to a CGC Gem Mint 10, or any such comparison. The CGC grade has validity, The CGG grade is a farce employed knowing full well that they have to maintain this stricter grader charade for the gullible who don'yt know how to grade otherwise.

The problem with many CGG naysayers on these boards is that they are completely loyal to CGC. I have compared this before to somebody being loyal to their local sports franchise.

Wonderful insight smirk.gif How about those of who tried the services and product and found the others sorely lacking in quality, thus deciding to stick with the best service. Nah couldn't be that...just keep sticking to the idea that we naysayers are all chugging down the CGC Kool Aid, 'cause it's just sounds cooler to back your support of the April Fool's Joke Gone Bad... sleeping.gif

Although CGG is certainly a "CGC knockoff", if they can do this and get away with it then more power to them.

Really? Copyright infringement is something we should all support then 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'll get back to you on that when the lawsuits start flying...

They provide a quality service and have several major advantages including pricing and turnaround.

I think calling what they do a valid service is insulting to those that actually provide it. It's real easy to maintain turnaround times when you don't have submissions and don't actually grade the books. How easy would it be for all of us to undergrade books? How would we get caught? The buyers are happy b/c they are flipping them for multiples of cost once they get it graded right...the only ones who would complain are sellers, most of which are newbies who are not tuned into how the market operates (and that is outside of ebay predominantly, like cons, shows, conventions, retail outlets, LCS...eBay is NOT the market...it is a highly visible aspect of it, but does not constitute the majority of comic transactions in the least....but don't we all know this?)

However, as there is just a $2 savings (with 20% Heritage discount) and just a few weeks longer turnaround on Modern books (and looser grading) I will continue to send my Moderns to CGC and let CGG have my pre '75 books. I was very happy with CGG's bronze grading. ------Sid

Smart words here Sid, up until letting CGG have your pre '75 books. If you are intending on selling them for maximum profit then you are using the wrong "service". If you want it to keep and just have slabbed then, just make sure that the CGG holders are truly made of archival caliber material in the way mylars and barex have been researched and proven to be. You know the deal..don't assume that blind loyalty is the reason I support CGC's services and products.

The CGC grade has validity, The CGG grade is a farce employed knowing full well that they have to maintain this stricter grader charade for the gullible who don'yt know how to grade otherwise.

Darth, the newbie isn't going to be aware that CGG is a farce. They've never seen the doctored scan, possible ties to TDComix, or even the fact they may grade more harshly than CGC. What they're seeing is another grading company who has cheaper rates and turnaround times as well as comics that are selling on eBay; sometime at comparable CGC levels. Every successful sale on eBay is giving the company more credibility in their eyes as a viable option.

Really? Copyright infringement is something we should all support then 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'll get back to you on that when the lawsuits start flying...

But they haven't yet and really isn't an issue until they do. Also, I'm not a lawyer but isn't there a perceived timeframe, or at the very least a company has to make a concerted attempt, to protect a copyright? If not, they loose the right to the copyright? I don't know....but if it was my company I would have jumped on them immediately.....

eBay is NOT the market...it is a highly visible aspect of it, but does not constitute the majority of comic transactions in the least....but don't we all know this?)

Agreed....but it's the most visible selling platform for collectors. That is enough to generate business in the near term for those that sell on the Internet (i.e. eBay).....

Jim

They are so tough on Modern books it is incredible.

Tough enough to consider it widespread intentional undergrading, mayhaps? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

...not a blemish anywhere. Came back a 9.4. My other assumed 9.6 and 9.8 books came back as 9.0 to 9.4. I did receive one 9.8. Maybe CGC would have given it a 10.0.

insane.gif This is the main problem with the pretender service and the influence on the newbie. I don't know if you were being facetious with the 10.0 comment, but I see a huge problem with people generalizing just as you had and equating cgg 9.8's to a CGC Gem Mint 10, or any such comparison. The CGC grade has validity, The CGG grade is a farce employed knowing full well that they have to maintain this stricter grader charade for the gullible who don'yt know how to grade otherwise.

The problem with many CGG naysayers on these boards is that they are completely loyal to CGC. I have compared this before to somebody being loyal to their local sports franchise.

Wonderful insight smirk.gif How about those of who tried the services and product and found the others sorely lacking in quality, thus deciding to stick with the best service. Nah couldn't be that...just keep sticking to the idea that we naysayers are all chugging down the CGC Kool Aid, 'cause it's just sounds cooler to back your support of the April Fool's Joke Gone Bad... sleeping.gif

Although CGG is certainly a "CGC knockoff", if they can do this and get away with it then more power to them.

They provide a quality service and have several major advantages including pricing and turnaround.

I think calling what they do a valid service is insulting to those that actually provide it. It's real easy to maintain turnaround times when you don't have submissions and don't actually grade the books. How easy would it be for all of us to undergrade books? How would we get caught? The buyers are happy b/c they are flipping them for multiples of cost once they get it graded right...the only ones who would complain are sellers, most of which are newbies who are not tuned into how the market operates (and that is outside of ebay predominantly, like cons, shows, conventions, retail outlets, LCS...eBay is NOT the market...it is a highly visible aspect of it, but does not constitute the majority of comic transactions in the least....but don't we all know this?)

However, as there is just a $2 savings (with 20% Heritage discount) and just a few weeks longer turnaround on Modern books (and looser grading) I will continue to send my Moderns to CGC and let CGG have my pre '75 books. I was very happy with CGG's bronze grading. ------Sid

Smart words here Sid, up until letting CGG have your pre '75 books. If you are intending on selling them for maximum profit then you are using the wrong "service". If you want it to keep and just have slabbed then, just make sure that the CGG holders are truly made of archival caliber material in the way mylars and barex have been researched and proven to be. You know the deal..don't assume that blind loyalty is the reason I support CGC's services and products.

Darth, I appreciate your well thought out response to my post but I do have a rebuttle.

1. I have generalized with the comment of CGG grading harsher on Moderns. Being in this business 25 years as a convention dealer, Ebayer, comic store owner (long ago) and comic book distributor employee (also long ago) I certainly know how to grade. Simply put, CGG's standards on modern are more strict. That is their style and just as valid as that of CGC. Many people believe CGC is too harsh or to loose as well. All a matter of standards and how we all interpret Overstreet's grading criteria which most people claim to do. Each service's grade is just as valid as the other. My grade as well as your grade are valid as well, not that anybody would care though.

2. My comment about supporting your local team is regarding how some people are very loyal to their preferred service. Happens in all industries, cars, restaurants, electronics, publishers and grading companies. Nothing wrong with that, just an observation. I am sure this is true for SOME people, certainly not everyone.

3. Referring to copywright infringement. I am not an attorney and don't know the laws around all of this. If they are breaking the law and it is worth it to CGC to prosecute, let them go ahead. In the meantime, the "knockoff" aspect does not bother me. Again, we see copycats in all industries. Some get away with it, some don't. We consumers have more choices because of it.

As for the rest, let's just say we can agree to disagree. ------Sid

Darth, Just interested in what you think about this grade and what $$ I might fetch for it? Does it being cgg ruin my $$ making possabilities? Enjoyed this thread!!!!!!!!! William - Higghawker thumbsup2.gif443607-Spec%2025.jpg

Well, since CGC would grade that a 10.0 acc to some on here, then you are definitely losing out on some $$$. The current market as it stands TODAY will pay more for a CGC 10.0 vs a CGG 9.9 of the same book, if the buyer is one that buys into the whole XGG is the better Modern grading "Service".