• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My humble Spider-man collection

186 posts in this topic

Ron Frenz inked by Joe Rubinstein

avengersinvaders.jpg

I knew I've seen something like this somewhere before hm

skanowanie0001hv.jpg

Oh yeah it was the #1 Amazing Spider-man of the Polish run (1990) :) [scan of my issue, think I should CGC it...9.9 material right here]

Wow. Truly amazing. I've been thinking about trying to do something like this with Spidey myself, but I don't know anything about sketches.

Were these all done at cons? How long does it take an artist to do one of these (on average)? Did you give them all suggestions or did they just draw what they wanted?

Most of the people he has got don't sketch at shows, or do shows, period.

Arjuna is the man! :o:hi:

Wow. Truly amazing. I've been thinking about trying to do something like this with Spidey myself, but I don't know anything about sketches.

Were these all done at cons? How long does it take an artist to do one of these (on average)? Did you give them all suggestions or did they just draw what they wanted?

Hey there guys!

so ive been out of time for the last two days but ill post some stories/future plans and many thank yous now!

Firstly I'd like to thank everyone for their kind words, it really means a lot I see a lot of your collections here on the boards and on comic art fans and some of your stuff is really inspiring and you guys are true art collectors! I was never really sure how the art collecting community felt about sketch covers but it seems like we're accepted with open arms!

The reason why I collect sketch covers in the first place is that I always thought it would be hard for me to just casually display comic art in my house or in a room, I always thought 11 by 14 and 11 by 17 pieces we're pretty big and would need to be framed and all that. with these that measure pretty much like a 8 by 11 piece of paper I can prop them on a shelf and since all of these sketches are graded and authenticated by CGC they are well protected too. Although I will admit that the surface size has made it a little difficult in convincing some artists to draw more than just a doodle and to sort of treat it like a normal commission. Thats why more and more I am having to rely on reference art rather than just original imagination although there is some of that in here too! Also I've noticed that artists are a little more forgiving with prices on these marvel books where ive been very lucky to get certain pieces that are definitely at their commission caliber at different prices and I feel theres a bit of room to negotiation in that department also.

In terms of how this all sort of got started was I saw a fellow board members, Bill Dinh, deviant art page and I really loved his stuff at the time it had this real Jim Lee feel to it but has since very much grown into its own style and at the time these marvel covers had pretty much just became popular and I noticed he had different commission rates between normal sized and blank commissions, which is also becoming standard between a lot of artists. So we talked via PM and this was really the first commission that I got (non-ebay):

SCAN0035-2.jpg

Now in terms of really stepping up what it is I would asked artists I was really inspired from a good friend Mike Gowcharan, I had never really spoken to him before and I had seen his comic art fans gallery maybe two dozen times and this has always been one of my favorite all time pieces

batmanspidysm.jpg

and then we started speaking a lot more through email and facebook and he really gave me pointers on how to interact with numerous artists and art reps and gave me key advice that has helped me ever since and as you can see inspired one of my all-time favorite pieces.

SCAN0037.jpg

of course I switched it to daredevil because he's my second favorite marvel character.

now to answer some questions:

Catwoman_Fan- Bachalo being my favorite artist there is no shortage of things I would love for him to draw! I'm liking the versus type covers though, I have the venom/spider-man and the lizard/spider-man and itd be cool to have a couple of other spidey villains I could imagine Chris doing an insane Mysterio.

400yrs- To be honest with you very little of these are actually done at conventions for the most these are at home/ at studio commissions which are then brought to a con to be picked up. Of all the pieces I have the only ones that were actually drawn on the spot at a convention are the Maleev, Portacio, Azaceta, Leinil Yu and the McNiven. Other pieces like the Finch and the Coipel we're commissioned at a convention but we're done overnight in their hotel room away from the show floor or in the case of Olivier he took the book with him at fanexpo and brought it to dragon con. Everything else was done at their studios and brought in. In terms of time frame it varies so much some are finished in the same day that they actually receive the book while the two Jae Lee's took a year before I saw scans, so like any other original art it really varies some turnover is super fast and others are nail bittingly slow...

Alot of times I give artists reference, the only reason I do that is because if you look at a lot of sketch covers sometimes because of the size artists dont really use that much of the cover and will draw the figure either really small or just a really big headsketch, so sort of seeing a layout helps. But some of them are completely original like the 2099 Bradon Peterson, the Coipel, the Mike Lilly, the two Jae Lee's, Bob Layton, the Zeck inked by Beatty. and in a lot of these cases the artist just went to town and it turned out really nice.

In terms of stories probably the only one that wasn't just a straight contact and see if their willing to draw is the Joe Quesada Ultimate Spider-man 100 Hero Initiative Cover.

JQuesada.jpg

this one required a lot of detective work and took a long time to find and then took even longer to buy. Joe Quesada (love him or hate him) has always been one of my favorite Spider-man artists because he really draws spider-man's alienation and outcast from both society and superheroes phsyically where he looks dangly and thin and his fingers and feet are big and he really looks like he doesn't belong among the rest of the super hero community. And the cover that Joe did for the hero iniative back in 2006 was by far one of the best and in terms of work that Joe's done after searching on comic art fans and the net besides his actual published covers sold through Spencer Beck this was by far one of the most detailed pieces out there and having it already inked by Miki was insane so it was a pipedream for me to own it but this along with the J Scott Campbell and Todd McFarlane pieces were the best from that whole lot. And through Caf I had noticed that a couple of collectors who had won these covers at cons like New York and LA had thanked Jon Dolmayan for not outbidding them and letting him win and so that got me thinking "I wonder if maybe he won the Quesada" because it was sold at New York and it was expensive enough that it just made sense. Now normally I would be like how the hell are you going to contact the drummer of System of a Down?? and then I realized he was the founder of torpedo comics and I managed to get in touch with him and through many many emails after finding out that he did in fact own the piece I convinced him to sell it to me and without a shadow of a doubt he has to be one of the nicest and gracious people I have ever dealt with. I would definitely consider this piece the rarest piece I own and is really a jewel in the collection definitely top 3 worthy!. Here's a picture of it in its CGC glory, the reason for the grade is because of some damage on the spine and the fact that i think Miki's inking bled though a bit to the actual comic which counts a lot of damage, but thankfully the art is in perfect condition!:

USM100QuesadaMiki65HiF-2.jpg

In terms of the future I do indeed have a bucketlist of artists that I really want to get before I call it over. and then I do have some personal goals one of which is to complete my top 10 favorite artists of which there is only one person remaining, Tim Sale, and I know that one shouldn't be THAT hard but I am looking to get something pretty detailed and I dont know how to get a commission outside of the fast pass commissions he does at shows.

Other than that after seeing how crazy of a job Khoi Pham did with the spider-man vs the sinister six without any sort of reference I would really be interested in getting more Sinister Six themed pieces.

But for sure of all my favorite artists I want the most to get a full commission done by Steve McNiven which would be really awesome.

it goes a lot of ways though, the reference I showed Sal Buscema was this from Paul Greer's comic art fan (who actually really helped me):

My20pal20Sal20deux.jpg

this is what I recieved:

SCAN0069.jpg

this is what i showed dell'otto

spiderman_20081219.jpg

this is what i recieved:

SCAN0056-1.jpg

this is what was shown to John Romita Sr.

ASM_600_RomitaVariant.jpg

this is what I recieved:

SCAN0058.jpg

this is what I showed Bachalo:

7-1.jpg

this is what i received:

SCAN0071.jpg

this is what was shown to Bagley:

39-2.jpg

this is what I received:

SpideyGoblincvr.jpg

This is what i showed Brando: