• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can you please help me with this ASM #78 ?

10 posts in this topic

By the scan you supplied I would grade the cover at an 7.5 - 8.0 for these reasons:

1) 1" crease that does not break color above price box.

2) Small fleck on "R" in Spider-Man breaking color.

3) Long wrinkle running from Spidey's left heal to edge of the book.

4) Small indentation on top right leg on Spidey's costume.

5) Long scratch running diagonally through Spidey's left elbow that breaks color.

1) 1" crease that does not break color above price box.

Right.

Right, don't saw it.

You're right again, don't saw it...

4) Small indentation on top right leg on Spidey's costume.

?

5) Long scratch running diagonally through Spidey's left elbow that breaks color.

Right.

How to know that theses flaws are on the book and not on the scanner ?

I think that if any flaws that I interpretted were to be made by the scanner it would be on point #4.

And to be clear on point #4...if you look at the tip of the top right leg of the spider on Spidey's costume (according to picture orientation) you can see the indentation.

It's hard to tell if this is a printing defect, or an actual color fleck (meaning the color layer was either pulled off by tape(?) or a scuff. If it's a printing defect, I would not deduct from the grade for it.

Aka "printer's crease" or "production crease". At 3" long, it's quite obvious - but what's the deduction? This is a tough issue and I'd like to hear what others think about deducting for printer's creases. It seems if you had identical books other than this defect, it's obvious which you'd want, but it's also obvious that the same amount shouldn't be deducted as if it were a corner or edge crease. Does the new grading guide discuss printer's creases?

Below is the best example I've ever seen of how CGC downgrades for a paper ripple/production crease. I can't find any defects inconsistent with the CGC 9.4 grade besides the 3.5" ripple, which begins between Spidey's legs and continues all the way to the right edge.

It's hard to tell if this is a printing defect, or an actual color fleck (meaning the color layer was either pulled off by tape(?) or a scuff. If it's a printing defect, I would not deduct from the grade for it.
Regardless of how the fleck got there, I don't think it alone would knock grade down below the 9.2 level.

What difference does it make how the fleck got there? I don't get the perspective of people who think that printing defects count for less than handling defects. Even worse is the idea that printing defects don't count at all. A defect is a defect!

What difference does it make how the fleck got there? I don't get the perspective of people who think that printing defects count for less than handling defects.

Here's the perspective - if this was a production defect (meaning the ink roller didn't transfer one of the ink layers, or any ink at all, to the affected area in the first place), there would be no paper damage and the cover could still be nice and smooth and glossy over the affected area. If it was done after production there would be paper damage, no gloss on the affected area, and the cover would no longer be smooth/even. BIG difference!