• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Stamps/Bonds/Loans covers - let's see 'em
3 3

226 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, EBE said:

Just landed this one recently after a 2 year search. Not a bond or stamp cover, but one of the "letter to the American people" covers.

s-l1600.jpg

Congrats Eljay. Always great to cross off a book you have green looking for. Now, on to the next one!

3 hours ago, EBE said:

Just landed this one recently after a 2 year search. Not a bond or stamp cover, but one of the "letter to the American people" covers.

Great, it's always good to cross one off the wants list.

I have the two CAGs on my list, but I've never wanted them enough to chase them. Even my inner completist can't get enthused!

What I could get excited about is a Funny Animals #6, which I have wanted forever. I noted your #3 above, and realised I missed it when compiling my list, so that's in the 'active hunt' list too.

29 minutes ago, AJD said:

Great, it's always good to cross one off the wants list.

I have the two CAGs on my list, but I've never wanted them enough to chase them. Even my inner completist can't get enthused!

What I could get excited about is a Funny Animals #6, which I have wanted forever. I noted your #3 above, and realised I missed it when compiling my list, so that's in the 'active hunt' list too.

So, "Funny Animals" #3 and 6? Good to know :devil:

As to the "Calling All Girls" the Elizabeth Taylor offering has a lot of crossover appeal. Very attractive.

In parallel to buying war bonds themed comics, I've been slowly picking up magazines from July 1944 with the E-series war bonds on the covers. My plan is to build a 1940s style newstand and display a range of magazines in it. Here are a few recent pickups.

Mech_Ill_jul44.thumb.jpg.d2b194739970d9e651ddf492d8c0a402.jpg

Nat_Geo_jul44.thumb.jpg.040531c852bec115c58d32fc5e47b5e5.jpg

Pop_Sci_jul44.thumb.jpg.a3c16a771be370ae1f63565a28f64d44.jpg

They're really interesting reading, but some of them have really cool artwork too. This 'Look' magazine is too big to fit on my scanner at 10" x 13".

Look_Mag_jul44_photo.jpg.197bddf9e7a572483d3eae0599493ba7.jpg

I scanned the art for you to see in closeup. I only wish this was on a comic book cover! CGC would probably note 'Impaled Hitler and Hirohito'

P.S. For those who came in late, I just updated all of my images on the earlier pages of this thread, which had disappeared thanks to Photobucket. There's more to look at in those early pages now.

Look_Mag_jul44.jpg

I agree that CAG isn't the most exciting title, but I'm trying to complete a run of all the covers with the "letter" on them. I think that I am only missing Big Shot 57, but I'll have to check my list. I had thought about collecting all of the magazines with the "letter" along with the comics, but I can't collect everything....

AJD, that will be one cool time warp newsstand when you complete it!

--ElJay

On 4/11/2018 at 7:36 AM, AJD said:

In parallel to buying war bonds themed comics, I've been slowly picking up magazines from July 1944 with the E-series war bonds on the covers. My plan is to build a 1940s style newstand and display a range of magazines in it. Here are a few recent pickups.

Mech_Ill_jul44.thumb.jpg.d2b194739970d9e651ddf492d8c0a402.jpg

Nat_Geo_jul44.thumb.jpg.040531c852bec115c58d32fc5e47b5e5.jpg

Pop_Sci_jul44.thumb.jpg.a3c16a771be370ae1f63565a28f64d44.jpg

They're really interesting reading, but some of them have really cool artwork too. This 'Look' magazine is too big to fit on my scanner at 10" x 13".

Look_Mag_jul44_photo.jpg.197bddf9e7a572483d3eae0599493ba7.jpg

I scanned the art for you to see in closeup. I only wish this was on a comic book cover! CGC would probably note 'Impaled Hitler and Hirohito'

P.S. For those who came in late, I just updated all of my images on the earlier pages of this thread, which had disappeared thanks to Photobucket. There's more to look at in those early pages now.

Look_Mag_jul44.jpg

As a bonus, the Look is also a Hitler (and Hirohito (or Tojo)) cover -- one of the gorier ones to boot!

On 8/26/2017 at 8:41 PM, Readcomix said:

It's subtle but it's on here

image.jpeg

It is subtle.  Would have stood out better with a white background. Almost as if they were thinking, "We have to run one of those bonds and stamps ads, but we ain't letting it wreck the cover design."

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

pulpdocsavagejuly1942.jpg

pulpshadowjuly1942.jpg

Those United We Stand magazines were part of a July 1942 national campaign by the Treasury Department and the National Publishers Association to promote national unity, rally support for the war and celebrate Independence Day. The slogan United We Stand was adopted. For magazine publishers, displaying the flag was a way to prove their loyalty and value for the war effort. For the US government, the campaign was an opportunity to sell bonds and boost morale. The magazines brought home a message of patriotism and ideals worth fighting for.

The Smithsonian Museum website has an extensive history and display of the campaign and magazine covers.
http://amhistory.si.edu/1942/home.html

A neurologist, Dr Steve Lomazow, started collecting in 1972 and was devoted to collecting the first issues or volumes of every major American magazine. One of his collections is the July 1942 United We Stand magazine collection comprising about 500 magazines including comics. His United We Stand  collection is more complete than the Smithsonian collection. Check out his website and the videos of his United We Stand collection. His collection display is amazing.
https://www.americanmagazinecollection.com/

Edited by jpepx78