• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Stamps/Bonds/Loans covers - let's see 'em
3 3

226 posts in this topic

A modern :o - but one that has its heart in the art deco goodness of the GA.

large.rocketeer.jpg.bdf5dc62372d1523380cb11d84ea2036.jpg

I wasn't expecting to see a new War Bonds cover in the window of the LCS! Of course I had to have it.

I just found an interesting tidbit of information which probably isn't worthy of it's own thread, so I hope you don't mind me posting it here.

My mother was a child in the centre of London during WW2, and as part of her Xmas present this year I have bought her a book titled; Wartime Childhood by Mike Brown and whilst flicking through it, I came across this passage:

"Comics and books could still be bought in shops, although, like newspapers, comics shrank, both in size and in number of pages. There were many favourites, including, for younger children, Beano, Dandy, Jingles, Film Fun and Radio Fun, and for those in their teens, Champion, the Girl's Own Paper and the Boy's Own Paper. These would be read and re-read, then swapped in the playground. With the arrival of 'The Yanks' in 1942, came American comic books, lavish compared with the austere British versions, and highly prized in swapping circles."

Now, my mother actually encouraged me to read comics as a child in the 1970's, which was an unusual attitude for an adult at the time. This was due to the fact that as a kid in the West End of London, she and her little friends would follow G.I.'s around with the cry of "any gum chum?", often the American soldiers would take pity on these blitz ravaged kids and pass them a stick of gum or tatty old comic book. My mum's elder brother was also in the merchant marine and would return from the U.S. After braving the U boats With comics, gum, and nylon stockings for the family back home.

Mum developed a love of those comics, particularly Captain Marvel, Batman and Flash, and passed that love onto me. Sadly, none of those comics survived the war, and I often wonder what if? But at least I can thank my mum for my love of comics!

Just noticed this post whilst picking through this thread. Great story.