• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best gloves for handling comics when grading?

30 posts in this topic

Everyone knows that it is not a good idea to handle high-grade material bare-handed. The oils from skin may not appear to damage the comic immediately, but eventually they will. It may not matter much for reading copies, but when grading and scanning the better stuff it seems like a necessity.

I have used powder-free latex gloves for the past few years, on the recommendation of a friend in the graphic design business. But I was flipping through my Overstreet #20 last night and they discuss using white film editor's gloves when opening the Gaines File Copies.

Anybody here have recommendations? Include brand-names and approximate costs if you wouldn't mind. I'd be interested to hear from the CGC graders as well, but if it's proprietary information, I understand.

whew! if that style is good enough for the grand poobah super-grader of doom, then it's good enough for me. I thought I was going to have to split my glove budget in half. One for comics and one for the kitchen (I use latex gloves when I handle certain foods- hot chilis for example.) Now, I can just keep buying that same big ol' box...

those gloves can get pretty nasty inside with perspiration if it's hot and humid

I hope to God that it is not hot and humid in the room where Steve is grading... tongue.gif

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRCCCCHHHH!

Borock hi-jacked my thread!

lol...

Actually Donut, since he did reply to the thread topic first, I'll let it slide... this time... tongue.gif

Unlike you... who posts off-topic WITHOUT mentioning your glove preference! blush.gif

VERY SORRY! I thought I was still talking about gloves wink.gif I am still new to chat boards, this is the only one I have ever been part of, and I am never sure what is or what isn't high-jacking.

Back to topic:

I don't like cotton gloves because I can't really "feel" the book with them the way I can with a thin latex glove.

One off-topic post does not a hijack make, Steve...

Now your Other Ones thread... THAT was a definite hijack...

I was actually going to ask you whether your preference was based on tactile sensitivity. I have never tried cotton film gloves, but it would seem like the sensitivity just wouldn't be there. And the fewer times you have to attempt to separate pages the better.

Unless it's a submission from Darth... in which case I don't recommend separating the pages at all... blush.gif

Well, I see to be a majority of one when it comes to the cotton. I believe both are equal in terms of safety to the book. I do have a problem with latex gloves. Don't care for the way they feel. I used to be a photographer in the 70's - shot 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 and 4x5. I got used to using those white cotton gloves back then handling negatives in my darkroom, so it was a natural thing for me to continue using them with comics.

So I suggest you maybe try one of each and see which one feels best to you. Unless, of course, you're just looking for an excuse to wear latex! wink.giftongue.gif