• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Value on Amazing Spider-Man 28 CGC 9.0

64 posts in this topic

According to Andrew's records it sold for over 1K in June

But Shuley, as you've said often enough ebay isn't a price guide. Practice what you preach my good man.

Unless you can explain how it's okay to quote high ebay prices but not low ones when you're talking about a book's value.

Yes that's true Mr. Andrew.But rarity can ride over a key book,there isn't really rare keys unless your going after books before 1963.I would rather pay an extra few grand on a Spidey 11 9.4 than say a 9.6 FF #48 or a 9.8 Cap #100 or even a 9.6 Hulk 181,Still take that spidey 11 over any key book after 1966.

28 often goes for as much or more than 16, 17, 20, 23, or 25, all of which contain stories that are more key than 28. The Census numbers are a LITTLE lower for 28 than any of those, but not low enough to justify the price it usually garners. The census definitely suggests it's not as "rare" in high grade as advertised. Slightly less common, yes, but not rare. Another hyped "rare" issue that Overstreet has always called "low distribution" is Silver Surfer 4. Sheesh, you do NOT go a single WEEK without seeing two to ten 9.0 or better copies for sale on E-Bay.

If Spidey 28 is "rare" in high grade, then any issue from FF 1 to 30 or Thor 83 to 100 could be said to be comparatively scarce/nonexistent in equivalent grades. I'm not sure there has been a 3-month stretch yet since CGC started when I haven't seen a 9.0 or better copy of Spidey 28 for sale somewhere.

" I would rather pay an extra few grand on a Spidey 11 9.4 than say a 9.6 FF #48 or a 9.8 Cap #100 or even a 9.6 Hulk 181,Still take that spidey 11 over any key book after 1966. "

Yeah, but that's a no-brainer. I have no interest in paying anything remotely high for any of those examples. Being an early silver collector as well, I'd also take a Spidey #11. What I meant was, I'd rather take a 9.2, save a few grand, and put it towards an ASM #14 in 9.4.

Another thing about #28 is that it's widely believed that "because of the black cover and the way it shows wear, it's one of the most often color-touched Spideys." Here are the CGC Census figures on Spidey 20 to 29:

Issue # of Unrestored CGC Copies # of Restored CGC copies
20 163 11
21 121 5
22 132 7
23 182 16
24 112 7
25 152 12
26 141 6
27 151 15
28 167 24
29 125 4

Looks as if there's a liiiiiiitle bit of truth to that conception that 28 is restored more often than other Spideys--but not enough to justify the significantly higher price!

"If Spidey 28 is "rare" in high grade, then any issue from FF 1 to 30 or Thor 83 to 100 could be said to be comparatively scarce/nonexistent in equivalent grades"

Absolutley. I would extend that to almost all FF's from 1965 or earlier for that matter. And Journey Into Mystery? 100X Harder. Any serious silver collector knows this. But for the time being, Spidey is more marketable. And as for the 28 outpreforming other more "key" books, this is just a matter of perception.

And as much as I love the cover to Surfer 4, I'm sick of seing 9.4's pop up every 5 minutes. And the ending prices are always literally within $20-$30 of each other. I think that the "low distribution" thing only applied to when it was on the newstands. There have been cases found of that book from dealer hoards.

Both cases are good examples of why Overstreet has to be very careful with his comments. They carry a lot of sway, and can create perceptions that are not totally accurate. People see "low distribution" and try to market their VG+ Surfer 4 as some kind of true rarity. Very annoying.

Absolutley. I would extend that to almost all FF's from 1965 or earlier for that matter. And Journey Into Mystery? 100X Harder

I just picked up a Journey into Mystery #87 9.2 white pages..great cover! I just need #83-86 now,then I'll work on Hulk 1-6 in 9.0 or better,wish me luck on Hulk 1 in a 9.0+..lol well maybe a VF on that will be fine...lol. Kev

Hulk #1 in 9.0 or higher? I may one day be able to posses a 8.5 or 9.0, but probably not anything higher, considering the 9.2 that went for 51K earlier this year. Even if I was handed 51K, I'd probably split it up into 10 nice books. Hulk #6 is killer too. Don't think I've ever seen a truly high grade.

For me, besides the obvious FF1, AF 15 and Hulk1, a 9.2+ TOS 39 ranks very high on my want list.

I'd love to see Tommy Brulato's 9.6 shocked.gif

No, I would say he got what he paid for. What a weird defect. Would probably have been much closer, or in my projected range without that odd defect.

The problem with a book like this is that Overstreet is very sketchy on issues like this, and the new grading guide isn't much clearer about most interior defects. I was surprised it didn't get the "Qualified" grade from CGC. I just wonder how much of the story is affected by the missing piece.

True. Here's another example of a book I wouldn't touch.

http://www.comiclink.com/JourneyIntoMystery-109.jpg

This should also be under the "qualified" label. Maybe the new grading guide will shed some light on these issues.

yikes, keith contarino has been picking up some early JIM's from comiclink about 3 months ago, he's been paying up the wazoo too. i have to post a scan of my JIM 109, i got bent over with no reach around. i think they down graded it by the arrival mark on the cover that can't been seen cos it's been indented in. it looks like the letter "H". steve, you best tell your grader boys to lay off the pipe. blush.gifwink.gif