• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Collection and My Life in the Pop Culture World

78 posts in this topic

This is my third journal, and this will be my main one that I will constantly update.

I've started two other threads already, but I thought (following Dover's example) that I'd like to keep everything in one spot for all to see. In this thread, I'll post my new and old comic purchases, thoughts on the comic industry, and just generally anything that comes to find on pop culture and life in general. Hope this is as interesting for you all to read as it is for me to write.

See more journals by 091795

One thing I love about collecting foreign comic books is discovering knew comics that I never new existed. This one is a perfect example. I discovered it by accident a while ago while surfing eBay UK, and my friend in comics collecting hadn't actually seen it before. Secret Wars #8 is an issue he collects foreign reprints of, and I recently traded him my copy of the Canadian Price Variant. He and I both believed that that issue was the last one he needed to complete his collection, but when I discovered this, we were both proven wrong.

Recently, I was looking out again on eBay UK and found this copy from a seller I have bought from before, so I decided to put in a Best Offer and I won it.

This is the UK edition, and it looks to be in about 7.0-7.5 condition. I am very excited to get it.

UK.jpg

This is another cool one that I bought from the same seller as the UK SW 8. This is the UK edition of ASM 194 and it is an oversized Magazine that was published by Marvel UK in 1979. It's pretty cool, and is in about 7.5 condition. I plan to get it graded.

img040.jpg

From my blog on tumblr: http://liamsturgess.tumblr.com/post/6467512454/these-are-the-two-highest-graded-copies-of-their

img054.jpg

img055.jpg

These are the two highest graded copies of their kind. The Punisher Meets Archie is the only Signature Series copy, but not quite the highest with there being several 9.6 and 9.8 copies out there in the Universal label. The Archie Meets the Punisher #1, however, is the highest graded copy in the Signature Series label out there, with the next highest being a 9.6. There is no higher graded Universal copy. I had both of these signed by Batton Lash at the 2011 Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle. I spoke to Mr. Lash for a good ten minutes about the books and comics in general and also bought a cool book from him which I will post later. I hope to see him again next year.

From my blog:

tumblr_lmp95iqhoJ1qlrsnho1_500.jpg

The primary set I am working on (after Punisher Meets Archie) in the CGC Registry is the Bartman set from Bongo Comics. While the set only contains eight issues, it is still a rather challenging set to put together. Bongo Comics aren’t the most popular publisher, which causes the books to be harder to find, especially in 9.6+ condition. My goal with this set is to collect each issue in the 9.8 grade, which is what I would essentially have to do to outmatch my current competitor in the set, a member named Bro. Bro competes in almost every Simpsons Comics set that exists, and is #1 in each one he competes in. I hope to be able to claim the #1 spot in each of these sets eventually, though not for quite a while as these will be expensive and time-consuming to find.

The single comic that I currently have right now in the set putting me in second place is Bartman #1 CGC 9.8. I bought this book raw at the 2011 Emerald City Comic Con in a dealer’s discount box among others. Upon examination, I immediately submitted it to CGC for grading with the hopes of a 9.8. Luckily, Joe Grisolia (the CGC board member who was facilitating my submissions for that show) e-mailed me two months later saying that it had been graded 9.8. I was ecstatic! I added it into the set right away, putting me in second.

I also purchased a copy of the Bartman and Radioactive Man #1 mini-comic from the Vancouver Comic Con a few months ago which I estimate will grade a 9.8 after pressing. This will be submitted, and it should beat out my competitors’ 9.6 copy.

I think this is a really fun friendly competition, which is what the Registry is for.

Here is the link to my set:

sig.jpg

Sending these three off to be signed by Ron Frenz for SS... In addition to the Italian, German, French (collected edition), Spanish and US editions I have being signed as we speak, these will be a very nice addition to my graded collection.

img119.jpg

img118.jpg

img089.jpg

I'm also getting this one signed:

img094.jpg

Canadian Price Variant... :whee: