• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Comic Shops in New York?

16 posts in this topic

Hello U.S. Boardies

A relative of mine is off to work in New York for a couple of weeks and although he doesn't know it yet, he'll be going on a comic book hunt for me. :grin:

So, anyone know which are the best LCS in New York? Primarily I will be looking for Batman CGC or high grade raw of Silver/Bronze age.

Cheers,

Chris

Metropolis is a great place to visit to see some mind blowing original art and/or any of the books they have online. Metro very small and yes you need an appointment, but a def must see. My recent vist there with my son was a great experience. Vincent gave us a tour and pointed out some incredible key peices. There is also more to see besides comics and art. Highly Recommended :sumo:

http://timemachinenyc.com/

ROGER'S TIME MACHINE COMICS

207 W 14th St # 2

New York, NY 10011-7105

(212) 691-0380

An ole' timey, musty comic shop with buried treasures and a talkative shop keep (thumbs u

Roger's is a good shop with a lot of comics, but I would not go there for CGC books and I wouldn't expect much in the way of high grade books (though he has a lot of comics, so some will no doubt be high grade)

I love Roger's, but it's not a high grade shop. he is a very nice guy, and the place is a pleasure to visit and kill some time in.

There's also Silver Age Comics in Queens, which has a good selection of SA comics in nice grades. I'm not a CGC guy, so I don't know about that, but I'm sure they have at least some.

Hello U.S. Boardies

A relative of mine is off to work in New York for a couple of weeks and although he doesn't know it yet, he'll be going on a comic book hunt for me. :grin:

So, anyone know which are the best LCS in New York? Primarily I will be looking for Batman CGC or high grade raw of Silver/Bronze age.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi there Chris,

Unfortunately, NYC's comic shop selection isn't what it used to be...over the years, many shops have either closed completely, or dropped their back issue stock significantly. If you're looking specifically for high grade SA/BA Batmans, in my opinion Metro would be on the pricier side of the available options and may not have the deepest stock of those particular books. And I doubt the other stores mentioned will have much in the way of high grade... especially compared with what's available online.

Since there's a million other fun things to do in NY, being quite honest I'd suggest you just let your relative enjoy his visit and not worry about running around town comic shopping, unless he's a huge comic enthusiast himself. Just my two cents... :foryou:

Jon

Hello U.S. Boardies

Cheers,

Chris

Hi there Chris,

Unfortunately, NYC's comic shop selection isn't what it used to be...over the years, many shops have either closed completely, or dropped their back issue stock significantly. If you're looking specifically for high grade SA/BA Batmans, in my opinion Metro would be on the pricier side of the available options and may not have the deepest stock of those particular books. And I doubt the other stores mentioned will have much in the way of high grade... especially compared with what's available online.

Since there's a million other fun things to do in NY, being quite honest I'd suggest you just let your relative enjoy his visit and not worry about running around town comic shopping, unless he's a huge comic enthusiast himself. Just my two cents... :foryou:

Jon

I agreed with this. But if there's 1 Comic shop you do go to, it has to be Roger's Time Machine. (thumbs u

Hello U.S. Boardies

Cheers,

Chris

Hi there Chris,

Jon

I never had much luck in the NYC shops. Personally, I would check out - Zapp Comics in NJ http://www.zappcomics.com/ It is a hike from the City but they do have nice wall books and you can email them to see if they have any CGC. I find that they have a lot of Bronze books. I am not too sure about the extremely HG though. Again, you can email them to see if it will fit your needs.

Hi there Chris,

Jon

Thanks for the heads up.

Don't worry about my relative, he's been to New York loads of times so "been there, done there", the only reason he's going there to work is to get a decent steak (thumbs u

IN Manhattan -Midtown Comics is pretty nice. 2 locations and both have 2 floors. Not a ton of back issues but alot of toys and statues.

In NJ its definetly Zapp Comics. awesome place. I was looking for a copy last year of Superman vs Mahamad Ali and lo in behold I walk in there and there is one on the wall. Nice back issues.