• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
19 19

1,027 posts in this topic

I have a dumb question.  I was just flipping through a book I picked up from a quarter bin, and noticed it had a mark jewelers and inside the front cover.  

It's the funky phantom from 1972.  Did mark jewelers not do insets with smaller publishers, or is this a variant and most copies of this book have a different ad on the inside front cover?

20191022_133110.jpg

22 minutes ago, First Upgrade said:

Marvel Spotlight 5...National Diamond Sales insert...auction description pleasantly refrained from mentioning the insert. Thank You!

20191128_140005.jpg

20191128_140030.jpg

20191128_140055.jpg

20191128_140121.jpg

Right on!My first copy has one,but I bought it years before joining up here,didn't know what the heck was going on for a long time lol 

44 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Picked this up today. It's a little rough (G/VGish), but I couldn't pass it up!

IMG_3922.JPG

that's awesome! A mark Jeweler :) I'll assume it's complete as well? I'd take it too if I had any money lol 

Were these inserts included in all Marvel and DC issues? Like assuming they were sold in stores and the stores got the new issues each month or whatever, does that mean the ones near military bases always had these inserts? Or were they spread out through various issues over the years? If the latter is the case, is there a definitive list of such issues?

Lotsa questions I know but I am a curious little bear. 

I usually take what most people say on Facebook (whether comics or otherwise) with a grain of salt, because there is just so much misinformation out there. So here it goes...

Someone posted in one of the groups I follow a nice group of MJ comics, including some key DCs (Swamp Thing #20 and #21). I see many less DCs than Marvels, so I got excited. Another person pointed out that these MJIs were also sold at Macy's and Woolworths. While I'm certainly not an expert like some of you, in all my years of collecting, I've never heard this before. Is this true? Or was it just another case of a Facebook poster not knowing the truth. 

Edit: They said that it was to tie in with the Mark Jeweler jewelry that was sold there.

Edited by RCheli

On 5/18/2011 at 11:38 AM, the blob said:

Anyway, I think they're a lot more common in areas with a lot of military. For example, I rarely see them up in NYC (where we don't have too many military bases) and you'd think that by now comics should be spread all over the country (especially because at shows I'm buying from a lot of NJ dealers who are closer to bases), but honestly, I probably own 10-15,000 BA books and maybe 25 of them are the MJ inserts.

That can't be right, can it?  I have maybe 6,000 comics, and have a long box full of MJI, not one dupe.

1 hour ago, RCheli said:

I usually take what most people say on Facebook (whether comics or otherwise) with a grain of salt, because there is just so much misinformation out there. So here it goes...

Someone posted in one of the groups I follow a nice group of MJ comics, including some key DCs (Swamp Thing #20 and #21). I see many less DCs than Marvels, so I got excited. Another person pointed out that these MJIs were also sold at Macy's and Woolworths. While I'm certainly not an expert like some of you, in all my years of collecting, I've never heard this before. Is this true? Or was it just another case of a Facebook poster not knowing the truth. 

Edit: They said that it was to tie in with the Mark Jeweler jewelry that was sold there.

From what I know, Mark Jewelers issues were sold in stores near military bases, although I have never seen hard proof of that. This company was based out of California and it is hard to track down history on the company itself and how large it was. It is possible that some of them were sold at these department stores (again, maybe near areas with military bases). Would help to know the history of this company. Obviously they were large enough because they supplied jewelry across the US (again, I have never heard that these inserts were limited to one specific area).

I would politely ask where this person got that info. From what I have read over the years, the documentation of these issues and there existence in certain issues is extensive but the history of how they came to be and what stores they were found in is hard to find. 

11 minutes ago, Spawnfreak said:

That can't be right, can it?  I have maybe 6,000 comics, and have a long box full of MJI, not one dupe.

What area are you in? Maybe you hail from a region with many military bases, hence why your collection has so many. They are definitely less common. Not as rare as price variants by any means but definitely not the norm. 

10 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

What area are you in? Maybe you hail from a region with many military bases, hence why your collection has so many. They are definitely less common. Not as rare as price variants by any means but definitely not the norm. 

I live on Cape Cod, in Ma., if you're not familiar with Cape Cod.