• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
19 19

1,027 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Someone mentioned that they have rarely seen a double MJ insert.  Here's one that I have in Superman 310.  I'm not big on collecting error variants like double covers, but this type of error must be extremely rare.  First of all, in DC comics I think you will only find a Mark Jewelers insert in about every 100 or 200 comic books.  Now add the additional unlikelihood of the double MJ insert, and it is hard to imagine how few of these are out there.

1565185185_superman310markjewelerscover.thumb.jpg.7d83b9d5f437fe67bcb6565dff23229f.jpg1555709571_superman310doublemarkjewelersinsert.thumb.jpg.a1ccdb9c03d9517fa02af14b9e5aad52.jpg

Not to be a label fanatic but for interest

You can get double cover on the label, have you ever seen double insert?

Just now, Cpt Kirk said:

Hey @ADAMANTIUM, I don't understand your question.   Can you please clarify?

Sure as in, cgc will note double cover on a cgc label when slabbed

Cgc also will note mark jewelers, but has cgc ever noted double "insert" on a label? Doesnt have to be exclusive to a mark jewelers 

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Sure as in, cgc will note double cover on a cgc label when slabbed

Cgc also will note mark jewelers, but has cgc ever noted double "insert" on a label? Doesnt have to be exclusive to a mark jewelers 

Oh.. now I understand your question.  I've never seen a CGC slab make note of a double insert.  Of course, those double insert issues will be few and far between.

1 minute ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Oh.. now I understand your question.  I've never seen a CGC slab make note of a double insert.  Of course, those double insert issues will be few and far between.

Cool I was just curious  :)

cgc labels sometimes can be taken with a grain of salt etc what 1st appearance is what, but it's good knowledge to know FWIW 

I'll be on the look out !

11 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Cool I was just curious  :)

cgc labels sometimes can be taken with a grain of salt etc what 1st appearance is what, but it's good knowledge to know FWIW 

I'll be on the look out !

Going off on a tangent here... but I have a Batman 392 and a Detective 590 where another copy of the front cover was placed into the centerfold, just like a Mark Jewelers insert.  So technically those issues have a "double cover" but the extra cover is in the centerfold.   I probably found these when I was hunting for Mark Jeweler inserts.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

1 minute ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Going off on a tangent here... but I have a Batman 392 and a Detective 590 where another copy of the cover was placed into the centerfold, just like a Mark Jewelers insert.  So technically those issues have a "double cover" but the extra cover is in the centerfold.   I probably found these when I was hunting for Mark Jeweler inserts.

See, I'm hesitant cause I didnt buy it, I think I've seen double mark jeweler on a cgc label. It was x-men #267? The 2nd gambit? It was a copper book, but still it was only a 9.0 slab, and although I thought it was interesting and dont have that issue slabbed I couldnt pull the trigger lol

It was only like $45, but it was an oddity

Now I wonder how they'd clarify the issue you bring up hahaha, poor cgc, it must be difficult in some case lol

1 hour ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Going off on a tangent here... but I have a Batman 392 and a Detective 590 where another copy of the front cover was placed into the centerfold, just like a Mark Jewelers insert.  So technically those issues have a "double cover" but the extra cover is in the centerfold.   I probably found these when I was hunting for Mark Jeweler inserts.

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

See, I'm hesitant cause I didnt buy it, I think I've seen double mark jeweler on a cgc label. It was x-men #267? The 2nd gambit? It was a copper book, but still it was only a 9.0 slab, and although I thought it was interesting and dont have that issue slabbed I couldnt pull the trigger lol

It was only like $45, but it was an oddity

Now I wonder how they'd clarify the issue you bring up hahaha, poor cgc, it must be difficult in some case lol

Now watch we will see some oddity come out of the wood work with double cover,  double insert, siamese pages...

32 minutes ago, Waylander said:

Apologies if this has been asked before, but is there a reason for the different MJ insert colours (maybe issue date) and is there a list of all the colours?

http://www.awe4one.com/NDS-MJ Inserts/Insert webpage.html

On 11/17/2020 at 4:30 AM, Waylander said:

Apologies if this has been asked before, but is there a reason for the different MJ insert colours (maybe issue date) and is there a list of all the colours?

If you go back to the beginning of the following thread, you will see that I've attempted to list all the different variations (color and numerical code) of all the inserts that ever appeared in DC comics. 

I think I have them all.  When I get more time one day, I could post photos of each (but then again, I have to wonder if anyone would ever really care).  As far as why they printed different colors with different numerical codes on the ordering coupons, I can only guess.  But here's one guess.... they changed colors and codes so they could figure out which months of advertising produced the greatest number of sales.  Or heck.... maybe as they printed these ads, they just wanted to change them up.   For the first few years they printed the ad on a heavier paper stock (which almost feels like thin cardboard).  After that, they printed the ads on a thin slick paper stock.  Given that thousands of these ads were produced each month for DC and Marvel comic books, I'm sure cost was a factor.   Someone should reach out to the Mark Jewelers company right now to see if there's anyone who remembers this ad campaign.   I will add that to my "to do" list.  :idea:

Edited by Cpt Kirk

12 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

If you go back to the beginning of this thread, you will see that I've attempted to list all the different variations (color and numerical code) of all the inserts that ever appeared in DC comics.  I think I have them all.  When I get more time one day, I could post photos of each (but then again, I have to wonder if anyone would ever really care).  As far as why they printed different colors with different numerical codes on the ordering coupons, I can only guess.  But here's one guess.... they changed colors and codes so they could figure out which months of advertising produced the greatest number of sales.  Or heck.... maybe as they printed these ads, they just wanted to change them up.   For the first few years they printed the ad on a heavier paper stock (which almost feels like thin cardboard).  After that, they printed the ads on a thin slick paper stock.  Given that thousands of these ads were produced each month for DC and Marvel comic books, I'm sure cost was a factor.   Someone should reach out to the Mark Jewelers company right now to see if there's anyone who remembers this ad campaign.   I will add that to my "to do" list.  :idea:

Thank you (thumbsu

10 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

thanks to @waaaghboss, I have found another one of the missing Mark Jeweler variants on my want list (namely Superman 413).   He found an obscure shop that had a 3 long boxes of jeweler variants.  Up until now, I had never seen a Superman 413 with jeweler insert after looking for more than 8 years.   

This means:

1.  I've found every single issues in the run of Superman that could contain a jeweler insert from issues 255 through 420, with one exception (still have not seen Superman 359).

2.  In the five titles I'm collecting (Batman, TEC, Superman, Action and JLA), there should exist 690 jeweler variants and I've seen all but 9 of them.  The 9 not yet found are Batman 245, 324, 326, 390, Detective 470, 548, Superman 359, Action 579, and JLA 161.   Note that on three of those titles, only one jeweler variant has not been spotted.   This makes me pretty confident that no issues were skipped except super sized or square bound issues.  

The search continues.  I've been graphing the number that I find each year, and it gets harder to find them as there are fewer left to be found.  I estimate I will have found them all in the next 6 to 8 years.

Thats awesome man!  I'll keep my eyes peeled. 

On 10/20/2020 at 1:36 PM, awe4one said:

The circle star is common. They didn’t press hard enough. :bigsmile:

I saw this book on eBay in the week - two star stamps, one circled:

stars.thumb.jpg.61da4e2d7eb674840b9f04b6f1656969.jpg

Quite an early book to be stamped thus, I thought?

1412290554_stars(3).jpg.2cca13f1a0490e072aa3f070f957102b.jpg 122302224_stars(2).jpg.08ef0d2777653ed126e18d9f3d9a01a9.jpg

I just received a graded ASM 101 back from CGC and it's listed as a MJ insert. I had no idea and hadn't taken a close look at it before I sent it in. From everything I've read they only started in 1972. Is it possible/accurate that 101 has a mark jewelers insert?