• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
19 19

1,027 posts in this topic

I repeat my question regarding stamps on the MJ books sold at bases here, so we can keep a single thread (thanks Sandflea!) devoted to the subject: :)

post pics i have not ever seen them probably most of us have not either :applause:

Are there any of these in CGC and noted???

+1

I did not know they were also distributed in US Military bases in Europe. I’d love to see a scan. :)

My Iron Man 55 has the insert, with the star stamp on the front cover, right over the "55". I will probably never upgrade my copy unless I see another higher graded one with the insert. But I have never seen another copy with the insert.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7488721#Post7488721

-J.

What‘s the point of having a Mark Jeweler’s insert if you can’t see it? lol

What's the point of slabbing a comic book if you cannot read it? (shrug)

I think collectors like to have everything so this is just one more thing for them to want.

Edited by rjrjr

I think collectors like to have everything so this is just one more thing for them to want.

The only point in slabbing to me, is to have a professional grading warranty for transactions. The fact that it paved the way for a thorough form of collecting still does not make much sense if we consider what we are collecting (i.e. not coins or money).

Keep in mind that CGC exists only in the collecting world of comic books, and there is nothing like this outside America.

What a gorgeous Iron Man #55 – now I see what you mean with the star shaped stamp – I think I have already seen it, so you say sometimes it was applied on the back cover? :)

The only point in slabbing to me, is to have a professional grading warranty for transactions. The fact that it paved the way for a thorough form of collecting still does not make much sense if we consider what we are collecting (i.e. not coins or money).

Keep in mind that CGC exists only in the collecting world of comic books, and there is nothing like this outside America.

What a gorgeous Iron Man #55 – now I see what you mean with the star shaped stamp – I think I have already seen it, so you say sometimes it was applied on the back cover? :)

I believe it was more often than not stamped somewhere randomly on the front cover so that it would be easy to tell that the book was paid for.

Thank you for kind words for my IM 55. :cloud9:

-J.

I'll have to dig, but I believe I have several copies with the back cover stamped. It might have something to do with the stamp being easier to see on some colors than other, so they picked the spot on the book that make the stamp stand out.

Edited by rjrjr

I'll have to dig, but I believe I have several copies with the back cover stamped. It might have something to do with the stamp being easier to see on some colors than other, so they picked the spot on the book that make the stamp stand out.

I've had several copies that bore star stamps on the BC, sometimes even multiple stars - I don't think there was any necessary pattern. Also, I never heard before (now) that it had anything to do with "payment". :cool:

I've had several copies that bore star stamps on the BC, sometimes even multiple stars - I don't think there was any necessary pattern. Also, I never heard before (now) that it had anything to do with "payment". :cool:

(thumbs u

-J.

The clerk stamped them at the counter when we bought them at the Stars and Stripes on base. So yes in many cases it was so it was known they were paid for. They did this with books and magazines as well. Grew up on military bases.

The clerk stamped them at the counter when we bought them at the Stars and Stripes on base. So yes in many cases it was so it was known they were paid for. They did this with books and magazines as well. Grew up on military bases.

Cool, thanks. You mean they weren't stamped before you bought them? Did they stamp other things too? Seems like an odd practice, but hey. (shrug) Why would there be multiple star stamps? Any idea?

Cool, thanks. You mean they weren't stamped before you bought them? Did they stamp other things too? Seems like an odd practice, but hey. (shrug) Why would there be multiple star stamps? Any idea?

They stamped the comics when you purchased them. I have paperback books with the same stamp, but they did these across the top of the pages with the book closed. I don't know why they would put multiple stamps on the comics. An eager cashier maybe?

Brian, do you still have many of the comics we got back then? I know I still have the Star Wars, Arak, Swamp Thing, Micronauts, Thor, and Avengers with the MJ inserts. I also have a Whitman Shroud of Mystery with the MJ insert. You should have Star Wars, Fantastic Four, Captain America, and ?

Edited by rjrjr

Whats the point of having a Mark Jewelers insert if you cant see it? lol

I'm quite curious what if you tear up the insert and left a little page on it or the tear mark guide in the comic, will cgc still consider it as a mark jeweler's variant? hm

I've told this story before so sorry if you have heard it already. But I tore ( i.e. carefully removed) most of my MJ inserts out of my comics because I noticed the ink from the ads appeared to be bleeding onto the centerfold. I still have some books with them still inside. Mainly the ones I didn't think would be worth much anyway (Like Arak and Amethyst) anyway I sent my ASM 238 to CGC with no mention of the ad and it came back as a Blue 9.4. (Probably from the inks bleeding on the centerfold! :pullhair: I kid,)

As far as having part of it missing I imagine CGC would just make note of it on the Label.

They stamped the comics when you purchased them. I have paperback books with the same stamp, but they did these across the top of the pages with the book closed. I don't know why they would put multiple stamps on the comics. An eager cashier maybe?

Brian, do you still have many of the comics we got back then? I know I still have the Star Wars, Arak, Swamp Thing, Micronauts, Thor, and Avengers with the MJ inserts. I also have a Whitman Shroud of Mystery with the MJ insert. You should have Star Wars, Fantastic Four, Captain America, and ?

I sold My Captain America collection to buy Art. I still Have 90 percent of everything else from that time period. Firestorm, some Marvel two in Ones, The Thing, Teen Titans, and odds and ends.

Man, I love the fact that you guys actually purchased them at the bases.

In which years? :)

1978-1983, 1984. We started going to a lcs in the states back in 1983 , but I see I have some MJ inserts into 1984.

Any one have any idea why so few are sold on Ebay other than mycomicshop ?

There must of been some kids at army bases stashing them away ?

:)

Obviously I can only speak for a small group of people but I know that when I was buying them in Italy in 1985-1988 kids (and it felt like back then just about every male kid in school and a TON of young servicemen were buying comics - it was squarely "mainstream") I knew regularly made a task off removing them. I'm not quite sure why but I just recall vividly sessions of people going through stacks and neatly tearing them out, both at people's houses i know and at small "conventions".

I was buying them from the NSA Base (U.S. Navy) and Afsouth (a NATO Base) in Naples Italy.

I'd suggest the vast majority of these dudes were readers and weren't collecting comics in their barracks. They got deployed a lot, had to go on the ship etc, etc..

I was buying them from the NSA Base (U.S. Navy) and Afsouth (a NATO Base) in Naples Italy.

I'd suggest the vast majority of these dudes were readers and weren't collecting comics in their barracks. They got deployed a lot, had to go on the ship etc, etc..

Great recollections. So you were in Italy? I started collecting comics in english in the late 1980s (around 1987). There weren’t many import venues at the time, surely there were more in the 1960s before we had the italian editions (which started in 1970).

I’d LOVE to know if it may have happened that some soldier left Golden Age Cap books here in Italy at the end of WW2… lol

Great recollections. So you were in Italy? I started collecting comics in english in the late 1980s (around 1987). There weren’t many import venues at the time, surely there were more in the 1960s before we had the italian editions (which started in 1970).

I’d LOVE to know if it may have happened that some soldier left Golden Age Cap books here in Italy at the end of WW2… lol

In my childhood I was for 5 years in Naples. Later in life I Iived in Sardegna for several years in Costa Smeralda, and a couple more years after on the Amalfi coast. About a dozen years of my life in all.

I still remember the Star and Stripes book store in the NSA, you walk in, take a right and go all the way back and all the goodness was there in a dedicated corner surrounded by racks of books that were somewhat related like those Choose Your Adventure G.I. Joe novels. There were always a mob of of people standing around it reading.

They had monthly conventions in a place called Pinetamare, in the lowest levels of a series of huge off-base apartment buildings (called The Pinetamare Towers) where a lot of service people live (it might have actually been dedicated to the U.S. servicemen, being a few blocks from the elementary school for U.S. students). I remember that was the first place I saw Meltdown (Havok and Wolverine) and thought "WTF is that?" - just because it looked so distinct.

I'd suspect people on Army and Air Force bases (particularly in Germany and the UK) had it much better. Not only are those installations rather big, but typical rule of thumb in the military is that the Air Force and Army have significantly better facilities and bases (in terms of comfort) than the Navy and Marine Corps.

In my later life I saw zero comics in Italy, but that may have been because I was on an island and in a very touristy/upper scale area that really catered to only that type. If I'm being honest though, I didn't really look too hard.