• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
19 19

1,027 posts in this topic

Realized tonight while rebagging some books that I have owned two Mark Jewelers insert books-- Kid Colt Outlaw 174 & 178 -- since the late 1970s. Also found my 176 had an "8-22" large font style date stamp. Makes me wonder what else I've overlooked on some of my less explored westerns in my collection.

9 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Realized tonight while rebagging some books that I have owned two Mark Jewelers insert books-- Kid Colt Outlaw 174 & 178 -- since the late 1970s. Also found my 176 had an "8-22" large font style date stamp. Makes me wonder what else I've overlooked on some of my less explored westerns in my collection.

I hear ya, I found a MJ first jubilee last week from a collection I bought eons ago. 

What's the date stamp significance? I think I have seen a few. 

Reading this thread makes me very nostalgic.

I nearly managed a full set of ASM MJI's back in the day which I thought was a great achievement for a UK collector. Here's an extract of my old collecting book - the white gaps are the ones I didn't manage to get:

31.PNG.e50354a43b22755636ccbb7aab8775b8.PNG

32.PNG.25b85d5a0a1f4f1cae2efec209c01b27.PNG33.thumb.PNG.1520fb5f2d78c43611f64721f789b227.PNG

Does anyone here have an ASM #124? That one really bugged me. I never saw one in 10 years. I'd love to see a picture.

My favourite MJI was this one, for obvious reasons!

58c419596df94_1299_2mj3.thumb.jpg.638eefd8cbf1fe50bc3f560cd677ecb6.jpg

Someone in the US bought it - might have been one of you lot!?

Finally, and sorry if this is old news / has already surfaced, but does anyone recall the graded ASM 121 on ebay many moons ago? Worst fake construct I ever saw. 

If I'm honest, I wish I'd kept my MJIs..... :sorry:

121 MJI.PNG

Edited by Marwood & I

Hopefully they weren't sold out of necessity and you enjoyed them :) that was quite the loot you had ^^ 

1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

Reading this thread makes me very nostalgic.

I nearly managed a full set of ASM MJI's back in the day which I thought was a great achievement for a UK collector. Here's an extract of my old collecting book - the white gaps are the ones I didn't manage to get:

Does anyone here have an ASM #124? That one really bugged me. I never saw one in 10 years. I'd love to see a picture.

My favourite MJI was this one, for obvious reasons!

Someone in the US bought it - might have been one of you lot!?

Finally, and sorry if this is old news / has already surfaced, but does anyone recall the graded ASM 121 on ebay many moons ago? Worst fake construct I ever saw. 

If I'm honest, I wish I'd kept my MJIs..... :sorry:

23 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Hopefully they weren't sold out of necessity and you enjoyed them :) that was quite the loot you had ^^ 

Ah, thanks.  At my collecting peak, there was no greater feeling than spotting the blue line along the top edge. I remember spotting my first ASM 179 with the MJI line. Got it home, it was a Pizzazz insert.  Still cool, but the search went on. Ended up with about 3 of them in the end.

One day, I'll bore everyone with the why did I sell post. I warn you though, it'll take a week to read it ? 

3 hours ago, Chadwick said:

I hear ya, I found a MJ first jubilee last week from a collection I bought eons ago. 

What's the date stamp significance? I think I have seen a few. 

No significance to this thread - just thought it was odd that I missed something right on the cover. I probably had not opened those books since 1979.

4 hours ago, Philflound said:

Was going through my collection and found a Werewolf by Night 32 with the MJ insert.

Very cool.  Finding the bigger books with the inserts is always a treat.  

Those first dethlock and first punisher up above are super. :cloud9:

To date my single best insert book is my 9.2 Iron Man #55.  

I doubt I'll ever top that at this point.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Seems like I can't find any evidence of anyone else having the WWBN 32 with the MJ insert. I posted under the WWBN 32 thread too and someone there said they never heard of one having it. Was wondering what others thought. I'm thinking of taking photos tomorrow and posting them.

5 hours ago, awe4one said:

According to my insert spreadsheet, I have a WWBN with the insert. hm  When I get time I'll have to find it.

Jim

Yes I'm not surprised.   I've seen at least one before.  There's no way books like ASM 129 and Hulk 181 would have them and not this book.  

-J.

Here is an oddity I have not seen before....the comic has a Mark Jewelers insert in the center (not unusual) but right after the cover has a slick "Mennen Millionaire" ad.

Here is a couple pics....anyone else seen one of these?

image.jpg

image.jpg

16 hours ago, Bearcatcoach said:

Here is an oddity I have not seen before....the comic has a Mark Jewelers insert in the center (not unusual) but right after the cover has a slick "Mennen Millionaire" ad.

Here is a couple pics....anyone else seen one of these?

image.jpg

image.jpg

All July 1973 Marvels that had MJs also had this insert.

On 1/17/2017 at 4:11 PM, Stronguy said:

I was grading a batch of books and found a Spidey with double MJI. Ironically, several years before a guy contacted from eBay saying he had a book with double MJI -- I flat out called him a liar. :sorry:

EDIT: I took a shot in the dark and found the original thread I posted on it.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1669354#Post1669354

I got in a small lot of ASM's today in the mail and while looking though them hopping to score a Double Covers. I was surprised that many of them did have Mark Jewelers Inserts and I got something Interesting the #324 had a Double MJI first one of these I have ever come across.