• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
19 19

1,027 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, deadleg said:

Purchased this one earlier this month at a local con. I actually didn't know it had the insert in it until after I had bought it. 

3F9pD4Wl.jpg

Wzs26PZl.jpg

:headbang:MJIs:headbang:

Almost  all of my collection from growing up has the MJ inserts, I always hated them, but kept them anyways.  I probably have 100+ books with them in it.  The joys of growing up on military bases as a kid in the late 80's and early 90's.  I always wondered about them.  Lots of good info in this thread.

1 minute ago, jisatsulol said:

Almost  all of my collection from growing up has the MJ inserts, I always hated them, but kept them anyways.  I probably have 100+ books with them in it.  The joys of growing up on military bases as a kid in the late 80's and early 90's.  I always wondered about them.  Lots of good info in this thread.

Welcome to the boards :)

They're fun, or I like them, then discovered there is bubble gum, National diamond, and pizazz inserts lol

On 02/10/2017 at 2:02 AM, fastballspecial said:

I never find these, but in the past 3 months I have found 2 DC presents 26 with inserts. Only VG copies, but hey I was just happy to find them.

I misread that first time and thought you said they had 26 inserts! That would've been a thing :cloud9:

I have found a true MJ variation with Gold Key books. As most of you know, books with MJ inserts are not variations when it comes to CGC graded comics and they are not separated in the census. "Mark Jewelers Insert" is written on the label text, but there is no way to distinguish how many actual copies that have MJ inserts exist. But there are now some examples of specific Gold Key issues where there will be separate listings that have Mark Jewelers Variant on the label and will be separated out on the census. The exact issues are those in the mid-1970s which include a 16 page Kenner Fun Catalog. At the top of the front cover it actually states this and the comic has 24 pages instead of 16. The variation comic replaces the 16 page catalog with the MJ insert and Gold Key removed the fun catalog reference from the top of the front cover. I'm including the link on GCD that has both covers, Uncle Scrooge #109 as an example. The majority of the listings that are CONFIRMED you can do a search on Ebay and see for yourself.

https://www.comics.org/issue/1524887/cover/4/

Below is the list of comics that I have found that has the catalogs. Whitman versions to my knowledge also have catalogs. I cannot confirm any Whitman versions without a catalog and with the MJ insert. If anyone can help out with photos of any of these issues below that does not have the catalog and instead has the MJ insert, I'd like to try and verify everything on the list. Also, if I miss any issues with catalogs on my list here, let me know and I'll add them. I considered starting a separate thread but decided not to.

Addams Family #2
Aristokittens #6
Beagle Boys #15
Beagle Boys #19
Beagle Boys #23
Beep Beep Road Runner #33
Beep Beep Road Runner #40 (confirmed)
Boris Karloff #44
Boris Karloff #51
Bugs Bunny #146
Bullwinkle #6
Bullwinkle #10 (confirmed)
Dagar #2
Dagar #6 (confirmed)
Daffy Duck #79
Daffy Duck #85
Dark Shadows #17
Dark Shadows #23 (confirmed? one on Ebay does not mention MJ)
Globe Trotters #8 (confirmed)
Inspector #3
Jungle Twins #4
Jungle Twins #8 (confirmed)
Jungle Twins #12
Lidsville #2
Lost in Space #38
Lost in Space #42
Mickey Mouse #146
Mickey Mouse #153
Moby Duck #12
Moby Duck #16
Mod Wheels #7
Mod Wheels #11
Mod Wheels #15
Occult Files of Doctor Spektor #5
Occult Files of Doctor Spektor #11
O'Malley and the Alley Cats #5
O'Malley and the Alley Cats #9
Porky Pig #51 (confirmed)
Porky Pig #57
Ripley's #37
Ripley's #44
Ripley's #51
Scooby Doo #15
Scooby Doo #22
Super Goof #28 (confirmed? MJ not there, but staples poking up)
Tom and Jerry #268
Tom and Jerry #277 (confirmed)
Tom and Jerry #289
Uncle Scrooge #109 (confirmed)
Uncle Scrooge #116
Wacky Witch #9
Wacky Witch #13
Wacky Witch #17
Walt Disney Showcase #12
Walt Disney Showcase #19 (confirmed)
Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #387
Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #399
Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #411
Yosemite Sam #11
Yosemite Sam #18 (confirmed)

Edited by Philflound

Just now, Philflound said:

I noticed that I was missing 2 issues from the list and edited it a few minutes ago.

No worries, lolI've heard a lot about whitmans, but haven't got used to looking for them in the wild. This particular list I was interested in due to the Mark jeweler aspect. I've tracked a few of those down luckily.

hqdefault.jpg

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

No worries, lolI've heard a lot about whitmans, but haven't got used to looking for them in the wild. This particular list I was interested in due to the Mark jeweler aspect. I've tracked a few of those down luckily.

hqdefault.jpg

Mark jeweler yes Whitman with Mark jewelers no. Although it seems I've seen some of the books in the list, seems like, but no luck on some with the inserts :fear:

My guess is that the Whitmans didn't have Mark Jewelers because they weren't sent to Army bases. At least that's what I think. I do think that every book on that list has a Gold Key non-catalog MJ version though. It's just a matter of tracking them down. I think they're going to be rather rare. It seems one seller has the issues I have confirmed for the most part and he's asking a slight premium I think. Didn't really look at the prices, but they seemed to run from $20-25 for the most part.

Here is the only book graded so far as a Mark Jewelers variant with a separate listing. If people submit more, that will change. It would have to be from the list I made above. Bullwinkle #10.

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Bullwinkle&publisher=Gold+Key&issue=10&year=1974&issuedate=1%2F74