• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
19 19

1,020 posts in this topic

:cloud9: I love seeing these MJ threads bumped.

I've only a Marvel Spotlight #5(good one to have) Still hope to find a The Cat #1 in the wilderness (Or mysteriously sitting at my door!)

Anyone ever come up with a Double Cover MJ?That would be ultra tres cool!

I had one last year -- an Amazing Adventures in the 20s (24?). Sold it to a boardie at a show.

I've only a Marvel Spotlight #5(good one to have) Still hope to find a The Cat #1 in the wilderness (Or mysteriously sitting at my door!)

I had one last year -- an Amazing Adventures in the 20s (24?). Sold it to a boardie at a show.

I was grading a batch of books and found a Spidey with double MJI. Ironically, several years before a guy contacted from eBay saying he had a book with double MJI -- I flat out called him a liar. :sorry:

EDIT: I took a shot in the dark and found the original thread I posted on it.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1669354#Post1669354

I was grading a batch of books and found a Spidey with double MJI. Ironically, several years before a guy contacted from eBay saying he had a book with double MJI -- I flat out called him a liar. :sorry:

EDIT: I took a shot in the dark and found the original thread I posted on it.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1669354#Post1669354

Prove it with a scan.

I recently scored some from a second hand book store. In Northern Ontario.

Marvel Tales #152 (reprints first Green Goblin)

Marvel Tales #166 (reprints first Molten Man)

Marvel Tales #167 (reprints ASM Annual 2)

Fantastic Four #235 (Ego appearance)

Uncanny X-Men #165, #167, #170 and #178

I never expected to really find anything there so it was pretty different find.

my 129 is at cgc right now...I miss it

It is now graded and should ship today :) It was graded CGC 3.0 as far as I know it didn't get any dislcosures for the tape that was on it when I got it that I took off, probably why it graded so low, but at least it is yellow label with the only disclosure Signed by Stan Lee and Mark Jeweler Insert :) at least I didn't end up getting any "restoration" lol I didn't have to invest too much into it either, I still have my ASM 134 MJI at CGC should be back in a couple of weeks :0 with my ASM 135 MJI I'll have the short run I was going for.

Post a pic when I get it, though with no scanner that'll do CGC graded items it'll be a low quality pic....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

This past year, I picked up an original owner collection of 40,000+ books from an ex-military guy who had spent a number of years overseas. There are tons of MJ and the earlier inserts, going back to 15 centers. I don't have the MJ books broken out as such, but if there are any collectors trying to fill in runs, feel free to PM me and I will check our boxes. The collection was stronger on DC than Marvel, but there's tons of everything, especially DC war books (which, if you think about it, is kind of cool for MJ inserts, coming from military bases and such.)

This past year, I picked up an original owner collection of 40,000+ books from an ex-military guy who had spent a number of years overseas. There are tons of MJ and the earlier inserts, going back to 15 centers. I don't have the MJ books broken out as such, but if there are any collectors trying to fill in runs, feel free to PM me and I will check our boxes. The collection was stronger on DC than Marvel, but there's tons of everything, especially DC war books (which, if you think about it, is kind of cool for MJ inserts, coming from military bases and such.)

Do you expect war books to be better taken care of by guys in the military, or are they usually utterly destroyed from being read so much? Just curious on what you've seen.

Do you expect war books to be better taken care of by guys in the military, or are they usually utterly destroyed from being read so much? Just curious on what you've seen.

Not necessarily... I just like the synchronicity of it. If anything, I think the general consensus is that MJ books would be in worse condition than their stateside counterparts, since military folks are so itinerant. Speaking for myself, as a military kid, we moved ten times by the time I graduated high school. That can be rough on a comic collection.

That's how I got most of mine, just on a smaller scale. I bought a 1600 book collection from a guy who was an Army brat. About 800 of them had MJI and NDIs.

I had bought Marvel Premiere 16 (not mark jeweler) Nice to see that in 17 Iron Fist got to the citadel. I couldn't afford 15 at the time and since 16 was cheap I bought it. I had never really read an Iron Fist comic....so I read 16 since it was the second part of the origin, at the end of the book it said citadel was next, I never thought to google 17 to see the cover lol would make an interesting read none the less :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Not necessarily... I just like the synchronicity of it. If anything, I think the general consensus is that MJ books would be in worse condition than their stateside counterparts, since military folks are so itinerant. Speaking for myself, as a military kid, we moved ten times by the time I graduated high school. That can be rough on a comic collection.

I think, as said, anytime someone moves a lot, especially overseas, the chances of damage are heightened but I'd suggest a couple things regarding their daily use and function. One, the vast majority of overseas servicemen, certainly before the Gulf War, were living in conditions just as good or better than statewide counterparts. I spent my entire life as a kid overseas as a military brat in several countries and are accommodations dwarfed what we'd ever see stateside. Obviously there are exceptions based on station but for the most part, we were living large in Italy, Germany, Japan etc even on enlisted pay in a single income family.

2nd, as it applies to DC and Marvel, and getting back to military brats, I wouldn't underestimate how many of these comics were bought by kids of serviceman and not just the servicemen themselves. These kids, like me, were very aware of protecting comics, had long boxes, boards and bags, and small (talking like hotel lobby stuff) comic convention hosted for Americans were not unusual. As I've said in previous posts about Mark Jeweler inserts and living overseas as a comic reader, all the kids I hung out with would regularly tear the inserts out before they bagged/boarded their comics. It could have been and probably was isolated but I vividly recall stacks of comics being gone thru and inserts torn out during this process.

Also, when overseas or living on a U.S. base, young servicemen typically have, relative to their community, extra spending cash from not having to pay for basic food or living conditions. It's why the type of businesses around large bases tend to be similar and why young servicemen often have cars they probably shouldn't have if being more financially responsible - so I often saw young servicemen (who were older than me) taking great care of their comics, buying protective supplies etc. And remember, when moving these guys don't pay for it and get professional shippers to pack their stuff. They have endless supplies and money (not endless but rarely do they go above what they are allotted in weight to ship) to protect items.

Just a fyi even tho I definitely acknowledge that in practice those that I find tend to average in less condition than their non MJ counterparts but conditions definitely exist where HG copies can be around.

I can remember reading somewhere on the boards a debate as to whether double inserts existed - I had one back in the day - this ASM #96 had two NDIs:

96ndssticker_zpsre4vdvws.jpg

I should've taken a pic of the inside doh!

my 129 is at cgc right now...I miss it

It is now graded and should ship today :) It was graded CGC 3.0 as far as I know it didn't get any dislcosures for the tape that was on it when I got it that I took off, probably why it graded so low, but at least it is yellow label with the only disclosure Signed by Stan Lee and Mark Jeweler Insert :) at least I didn't end up getting any "restoration" lol I didn't have to invest too much into it either, I still have my ASM 134 MJI at CGC should be back in a couple of weeks :0 with my ASM 135 MJI I'll have the short run I was going for.

Post a pic when I get it, though with no scanner that'll do CGC graded items it'll be a low quality pic....

After a long wait the white pages makes it worth it the light refracks but it is a quality Stan sig not shaky and is readable, the only thing that I was a tidbit upset about was Romita was also supposed to sign but he cancelled........also all the sigs were in black sharpie which I guess I don't mind on the ASM 129 but on my FF 49 it is hard to read the Joe Sinnot.... :)

167578.jpg.dd6492b1f848c7563e9f670dfc0fea7e.jpg

167579.jpg.bdb9920fcb438d22b7db451ad60f37b4.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I can remember reading somewhere on the boards a debate as to whether double inserts existed - I had one back in the day - this ASM #96 had two NDIs:

96ndssticker_zpsre4vdvws.jpg

I should've taken a pic of the inside doh!

Greggy, look, no pictures! Unleash the hounds!