• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
19 19

1,020 posts in this topic

does anyone know which Darkhawks have MJ?  I'm pretty sure issue 5 has it, and rumors are for issues 2-6.  I'm definitely interested in those so if someone has pictures that'd be cool, or you can pm me as I'm interested in obtaining them.

Guys, who's the MJI expert on the boards nowadays?

Can anyone confirm for me whether the list below is correct - the 'no inserts in these list' - for Amazing Spider-Man please?

Also, does anyone have an ASM #151 with a MJI? Can I see a picture if so?

Cheers :) :wishluck:

mjim.PNG.99360dfeaf8410ad655466306cb8ff24.PNG

I've never seen a issue you mentioned with the insert. Some of these are GS issues, more than 32 pages, so they won't have them.  The only issue I've ever seen with more than 32 pages AND an insert is a DC comic due to them increasing their whole line to 44 pages in the late 70s/80s.

Jim

20 hours ago, awe4one said:

I've never seen a issue you mentioned with the insert. Some of these are GS issues, more than 32 pages, so they won't have them.  The only issue I've ever seen with more than 32 pages AND an insert is a DC comic due to them increasing their whole line to 44 pages in the late 70s/80s.

Jim

Thanks Jim. Did you ever see an ASM 151 with an insert? I never saw one in ten years of looking 

21 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Thanks Jim. Did you ever see an ASM 151 with an insert? I never saw one in ten years of looking 

Not personally.  And looking at my insert spreadsheet  I have never seen any Marvel coverdated from that month (Dec 1975) with the insert.

Jim

18 minutes ago, awe4one said:

Not personally.  And looking at my insert spreadsheet  I have never seen any Marvel coverdated from that month (Dec 1975) with the insert.

Jim

Oops, sorry Jim, I got the wrong number. I meant 124 doh!

124, 149 and 163 always eluded me:

mj.PNG.1259e35d31754dff6b61b0bb25a5e654.PNG

Here's my old 151 (before I sold it) - so at least one Dec 1975 MJI's did exist:

151mji.thumb.jpg.c8a8c713b0e432f5e1865cc2cfe6afdb.jpg

Have you seen a 124!

9 minutes ago, NormdaMarine said:

I will look through mine! I bought a collection that had over 100 issues with MJ's in them...

Yes please - but for 124 ! (and well done) (thumbsu

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:53 PM, Marwood & I said:

Oops, sorry Jim, I got the wrong number. I meant 124 doh!

124, 149 and 163 always eluded me:

mj.PNG.1259e35d31754dff6b61b0bb25a5e654.PNG

Here's my old 151 (before I sold it) - so at least one Dec 1975 MJI's did exist:

151mji.thumb.jpg.c8a8c713b0e432f5e1865cc2cfe6afdb.jpg

Have you seen a 124!

Yes please - but for 124 ! (and well done) (thumbsu

Haven't seen one personally but it should have one.  I have multiple Marvels from that month with the insert.  Should be MJ2.

Jim

On 5/26/2015 at 2:53 AM, steveinthecity said:

Any input as to possible numbers of MJI books vs. their regular counterparts? I appreciated BrianR's earlier info regarding the number of overseas bases and potentially how many comics could have been distributed through that system. Adding in the larger stateside bases and how many spinners may have existed among the main Exchange and smaller "shoppette" type locations make me believe 5% isn't off the mark. Any idea if AAFES was accorded the same ability to return unsold copies as other shops in the distribution chain?

I understand why people may think the percentage of MJI's was lower than 5%, but I don't think they realize just how widespread the AAFES retailers were, particularly in the 70's and early 80's.

This is an older topic but last year I went through my little kid original collection (which would almost all be MJ copies). I've posted on this topic before, I don't know if on this specific thread, but I wanted to piggy back on this, even if only anecdotally.

First, a large percentage of people who serve in the military are the target audience of comic books. You're talking about a lot of young men concentrated in one location that have spending income because they don't have to pay for or are are catching a huge break for housing/food. We could break this down more in terms of where these people come from and how comics would be a legit a major form of entertainment to them considering where they grew up but that might be overkill. 

When I used to go pick up my X-Men, Spidey, and G.I. Joe (which were probably the 3 most popular comics out at the time) comics from the Star and Stripes shop I was picking there were multiple dozens of copies of each issue and this was at a small naval support base. The place was CROWDED everytime I went, as families would all converge on base on the weekends to get groceries, catch a movie etc etc. We aren't talking spinner racks, we are talking shelves that line the wall, and that doesn't include racks that would be situated in other places like the convenience store or the exchange or aforementioned commissary. Nevermind the huge stores/stock that places like Ramstein AFB (if you spend time around the military or bases you know that the stereotype/reality is that Air Force bases are pretty plush) would have with active duty, civilian employees, families and retirees - you're talking about over 100k americans, mostly young men, concentrated in a small area, many of whom had few options for entertainment from home etc. There was enough interest to have a monthly small comic convention where I lived just based on american comics.

The big bases operate like small cities and in this case populated by comic's target demographic.

Also, while MJ's ended comics are certainly still at american bases overseas to this day. Until the base folded a few years ago I could walk to and buy american comics in a small town in Sardinia off the rack.

I'm not debating the over or less than 5% number but I would hesitate if there was a suggestion these books were not abundant overseas. If I could describe the size of the holiday season Toy World they would make with an entire aisle that was some 40 yards long and had two sides full of G.I. Joe toys you could probably guess how popular G.I. Joe comics were at the same location. Now, whether they survived or not I touched on that topic in previous posts, but comics were widely available overseas and I never had a problem finding them all the time in the doubledigit bases I've been to regularly in my life.

Edited by JayT

59 minutes ago, JayT said:

This is an older topic but last year I went through my little kid original collection (which would almost all be MJ copies). I've posted on this topic before, I don't know if on this specific thread, but I wanted to piggy back on this, even if only anecdotally.

First, a large percentage of people who serve in the military are the target audience of comic books. You're talking about a lot of young men concentrated in one location that have spending income because they don't have to pay for or are are catching a huge break for housing/food. We could break this down more in terms of where these people come from and how comics would be a legit a major form of entertainment to them considering where they grew up but that might be overkill. 

When I used to go pick up my X-Men, Spidey, and G.I. Joe (which were probably the 3 most popular comics out at the time) comics from the Star and Stripes shop I was picking there were multiple dozens of copies of each issue and this was at a small naval support base. The place was CROWDED everytime I went, as families would all converge on base on the weekends to get groceries, catch a movie etc etc. We aren't talking spinner racks, we are talking shelves that line the wall, and that doesn't include racks that would be situated in other places like the convenience store or the exchange or aforementioned commissary.. Nevermind the huge stores/stock that places like Ramstein AFB (if you spend time around the military or bases you know that the stereotype/reality is that Air Force bases are pretty plush) would have with active duty, civilian employees, families and retirees - you're talking about over 100k americans, mostly young men, concentrated in a small area, many of whom had few options for entertainment from home etc.  There was enough interest to have a monthly small comic convention where I lived just based on american comics.

The big bases operate like small cities and in this case populated by comic's target demographic.

Also, while MJ's ended comics are certainly still at american bases overseas to this day. Until the base folded a few years ago I could walk to and buy american comics in a small town in Sardinia off the rack.

I'm not debating the over or less than 5% number but I would hesitate if there was a suggestion these books were not abundant overseas. If I could describe the size of the holiday season Toy World they would make with an entire aisle that was some 40 yards long and had two sides full of G.I. Joe toys you could probably guess how popular a G.I. Joe comic were at the same location. Now, whether they survived or not I touched on that topic in previous posts, but comics were widely available overseas (I never had a problem finding them all the time in the doubledigit bases I've been to regularly in my life.

I appreciate hearing the perspective from someone who was buying these as they came out.  I think the availability(or abundance) of the MJ's were greater at one point than people now believe.  Without having any real numbers pertaining to how many MJ copies were printed or collectively how many were sold through military channels it's just something I find interesting to speculate on.

Yes, I can't really litigate what many other people believe but just from being there, collecting comics, and being around many kids who also collected comics, trading them in school, on the bus etc, and seeing the older people (who would be young men who were in the military mostly at the small conventions) the supply of comics was constant and was certainly thriving more than what I see when I go to an LCS or comic section of a book store now (at least in the U.S.). CERTAINLY it was well more stocked because even at a young age I was just a freak about conditioning and I'd spend most of (I usual ended the day in the laundromat where the arcade games were) the couple hours my parents spent on base shopping to pick out the best copies (and reading all the issues I couldn't afford to grab that trip), and I recall many many specific issues where I was going through dozens of copies to pick the best one out.

From what I saw I would describe the state of comics supply and interest in europe on bases to be closer to massive than midling, though obviously I was only ever at one place at one time. There's that I think Shooter released document of how popular G.I. Joe was especially in subscriptions during the 80s. While that was a book that was very popular with kids due to unprecedented advertising I'd guess there was a HUGE readership among the armed forces overseas and their kids.

I vividly remember when Special Missions debuted and it was the only time I had to ask about a comic (like I said they has a large stock on shelves of everything - even like Spitfire) and they went back and opened more boxes to keep the shelves full.

Now, more recently (like the 21st century etc) it def is more small as interest in american comics is more small and is not as competitive in getting shelf/store space.It mirrors stateside in that regard. There's so many diverse and interesting comics in europe (with a significantly higher level of quality) there is no real reason to check our Marvel/DC stuff but like I said previously even the smallest of bases on an island off of an island with a 7-11 sized exchange still had 2 spinner racks of them that I'd sometimes pick up just out of curiosity.