• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone built a comic book storage bin (wooden) before?

28 posts in this topic

This is what my father and I built together about 10-12 years ago

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/98/0316010216.jpg/

He recently told me we should build another for fun since my collection is growing. I was wondering if Wooden comic book bins/holders are a good idea or not and also whether there are any designs/photos out there of some that other collectors made, perhaps?

Wood is acidic and not going to be the best choice to build a comic box out of.

Cedar has been shown to be a lovely storage enviornment for comics over the years.

Cedar has been shown to be a lovely storage enviornment for comics over the years.

Yep! Probably because it's virtually rot proof. Teak is similar. I wonder if it would be good for storing comics as well.

Yep! Probably because it's virtually rot proof. Teak is similar. I wonder if it would be good for storing comics as well.

Plus, it keeps the insects away from your treasures, as well as making comics smell quite nice :)

Plus, it keeps the insects away from your treasures, as well as making comics smell quite nice :)

I keep my best books in a cedar chest. While wood may be acidic, it can't be any worse than regular longboxes, etc. As long as the books are properly stored in mylar, I don't think the storage box will have any appreciable negative impact.

Life's too short to fret about storage boxes. Put the books in a mylar and store them in a box that looks good and you enjoy. :hi:

I would think it should be ventilated though

okay so cedar is the way to go? are there any specs or information on how to make a storage bin with cedar? like measurements, etc? Could be useful

My original boxes I built in the early to mid 80's were cedar. I made them to fit golden age comics, but as I get older I wonder now if making them three feet long was too long. If I was home I would measure one. If I think about it (and have time) I will post a picture and the dimensions of one of my boxes tonight.

The reason I used cedar as I had read in the Overstreet yearly guides in the late 70's and early 80's that it was recommended for comic storage. I think later editions of that price guide no longer mentioned cedar storage, I think that was about the time some companies started to make cardboard acid-free boxes.

EDIT: At home now, I don't know where my camera is at the moment (wife probably has it). Anyways my cedar boxes measure a little over 34" on the inside by 11" high by 8" wide. I used to buy one by twelves by six feet long out of cedar and cut them in half, that would be the length of a long box. The outside dimension of my boxes are about 36" long by 9.5" wide x 11.75" high.

I took a look at a few comics I bought new in the mid 80's and the pages look pretty white yet, actually they do not look much different then when I put them in the boxes 25 years ago. Other older comics I had bought back them do not look like they have degraded any more, nothing I could notice anyways.

Yes. :) Ze-man posted this a while ago.

Man, that is a nicely made box. Mine are kind of rough and not sanded, rough sawed cedar is what I remember buying. I originally lined them with mylar snugs, so that the comics never touch the wood.

Show em your box Bill....it's beautiful. <3

okay so cedar is the way to go? are there any specs or information on how to make a storage bin with cedar? like measurements, etc? Could be useful

If you don't want to go with solid cedar, you could probably use whatever type of wood you prefer and line the inside with cedar. I believe home centers sell sheets of cedar for lining drawers, closet walls, etc. Many cedar chests are constructed this way... not solid cedar throughout.

That's a good idea. Thanks for the cedar lining idea

My father and I could use some help with certain designs though. Maybe knowing how long it should be, width, etc.....It'd help so if anyone stumbles upon this and knows anything, let me know...

I'm in the middle of building wood cabinets for my books:

homemadecubes1.jpg

homemadecubes2.jpg

Still a work in progress, but I think they'll be nice once they're done.