• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone built a comic book storage bin (wooden) before?

28 posts in this topic

I'm building 6 cabinets that each hold 6 drawers - and 3 cabinets that hold 3 drawers - for a total of 45 drawers.

Each drawer is about the same size as a standard shortbox - it's slightly wider & taller, though, in order to accommodate E Gerber mylar up to the Golden Age size.

The drawers are on full-extension slides, so they pull out all the way. Both the cabinets and the drawers are made from baltic birch plywood that has been sealed with a water-based polyurethane (to minimize the potential off-gassing).

Wood is acidic and not going to be the best choice to build a comic box out of.

Cedar has been shown to be a lovely storage enviornment for comics over the years.

Show em your box Bill....it's beautiful. <3

It is roughly the size of a standard long box and houses the complete run of D. Tracy including giveaways, etc.

box.jpg

Very nice box, Bill. (thumbs u

BTW... it was nice to finally meet you at Essington on Sunday. Unfortunately, it turned out to be one of the fewest-attended shows I've ever seen there. Could've had something to do with the nice weather that day, but normally there are better dealers and more people shopping. (shrug)

Very nice box, Bill. (thumbs u

BTW... it was nice to finally meet you at Essington on Sunday. Unfortunately, it turned out to be one of the fewest-attended shows I've ever seen there. Could've had something to do with the nice weather that day, but normally there are better dealers and more people shopping. (shrug)

It was nice to meet you too Rich. I enjoyed hanging out with you, and Primo Hoagies is on my radar now for sure :)

Do not build anything longer than a short box. Forty or fifty years from now, you will

reach a point where lifting or moving a regular long box will be most difficult. A long box

of wood will be much too heavy to consider moving.

...i didn't mean to use the "haha" smiley face....whoops.

I also wanted to mention that in my picture of my wooden comic book bin, the bottom of it is actually on wheels that swivel easily. So it could be moved quite easily on wooden floors or even rugs like in my room. Just wanted to point it out since it's not easily seen from the picture itself