• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

On 21/03/2018 at 2:14 AM, scooter99 said:

251 is one book I still don't have.  Getting a white paged, perfectly centered copy in 9.2/9.4 is no easy feat.

I had a 9.6 but can’t remember the page quality, was a pretty well centered copy.

Edited by bane

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎21 at 9:53 PM, oakman29 said:

232 in my opinion is way under priced, and should be the big Batman key of the BA.

+1

It is the most significant BA Batman book. Classic Adams artwork + 1st app of a major villain.

On 3/1/2020 at 2:01 AM, Von Cichlid said:

After 227, 232, and 251, Detective 400 is the one to get.  I'm in the market for one now, and I am finding out that that book ain't cheap if you want a nice copy.

Tec' 411 is up there as well.  Rivaling Bats 232 for a while and at times even beating it in sales, especially in the higher grades due to that black cover.. 

Edited by Brian48

I'm firmly in the camp that doesn't see the appeal of 227, relative to quite a few other books from the era: 232, 234, 251, Tec 400, 405, 411. For me, Batman 232 is criminally underrated--not just for Batman, but for the Bronze Age period.

It's odd. I am a huge Batman fan and a comic collector and yet I never cared to include 227 in my collection. I don't find it to be a key by any definition of the word. It's just a cover homage, so nothing original. I would much rather have Adams represented in my collection with a cover he came up.

When it comes to Adams keys, I much prefer these:

Batman 232

Batman 234

Batman 251

Detective Comics 400

Detective Comics 411

I've owned my copy of 'Tec 400 since about 1980 (wow I feel old -- 40 years!).  However it has significant spine stress at the upper staple.  I haven't looked at it in years, but that's aways bothered me.  I'm glad I made an exception though -- there were lots of other Bronze books I passed on that had comparable defects.

I saw a 9.4 on a dealer site yesterday for $3,000. Ok. After this sale, I see it's been bumped to $4,500. Hmmmm.

So, the way I see it, someone WAY overpaid for 1 9.8 and now that sale is going to drive pricing for all other grades? There's a 9.8 on Metro for $9k. I wonder if they'll bump that one to $30k?

Edit: I don't frackin' believe it. That's EXACTLY what they did! I just looked. Absolute greed.

Edited by Randall Ries