• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

OK.  Here you go.  The CORRECTED 2017 Top 10 most expensive books from the Neal Adams Bats run.  Sorry about that.  

While not everyone may agree with their pricing, I think we can come to a consensus that it's darn shame they don't at least recognize Tec 395 as a key.  Considering it's 9th place finish with all the other Adams drawn books in the Tec series, it's considered a "common".  Of note, Bats #200 listed as $285 in 9.2, but I've excluded it from the top 10.  Despite the Adams cover, I'm not sure this book is technically part of the "real" run.  If you think it is, drop off BB 79 and substitute, which is another darn shame as I think BB 79 is not only an underrated book, but a key as well. 

Capture.JPG

Edited by Brian48

Yeah, honestly 'Tec 411 might be a little overrated in this instance, which I get -- it's only recently caught fire over the last year or so and I don't know that it's quite settled into its correct spot. In terms of keyness, I'd have it next after Bats 234, but there are so many high-grade 234's already out there and I think a lot of people assume 411's going to be crazy tough because of the black cover. In the long run it's possible it may really be scarce around the high end of the scale like 227, but there are probably many more copies to surface as I'm guessing it's still not well known outside of most Bronze Bat-enthusiasts. I think it's already starting to have a bit of a correction this year, too, as the initial breakout fever has settled a bit. Great story in this issue, though. 

Brian, you're right, too about 'Tec 395, criminally undervalued being lumped back there. In terms of significance, would you put 1st League above 395 or below? 'Tec 402 needs a little separation from that pack as well. Really tough above 9.0.

BB 79 can go on being under-appreciated until I get a copy, which might be a little while.

8 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Yeah, honestly 'Tec 411 might be a little overrated in this instance, which I get -- it's only recently caught fire over the last year or so and I don't know that it's quite settled into its correct spot. In terms of keyness, I'd have it next after Bats 234, but there are so many high-grade 234's already out there and I think a lot of people assume 411's going to be crazy tough because of the black cover. In the long run it's possible it may really be scarce around the high end of the scale like 227, but there are probably many more copies to surface as I'm guessing it's still not well known outside of most Bronze Bat-enthusiasts. I think it's already starting to have a bit of a correction this year, too, as the initial breakout fever has settled a bit. Great story in this issue, though. 

Brian, you're right, too about 'Tec 395, criminally undervalued being lumped back there. In terms of significance, would you put 1st League above 395 or below? 'Tec 402 needs a little separation from that pack as well. Really tough above 9.0.

BB 79 can go on being under-appreciated until I get a copy, which might be a little while.

It took me a few years to locate a Tec 402 and, for that matter, a relatively well presenting Tec 411.

5 hours ago, JTLarsen said:

Where's 410? Shouldn't it have the same value as other non-key Adams interiors?

Tec 410 is in the 10th place bracket as well. It was a rush job to slap this list together so I think I might have copy/pasted over. The micro font size this book is using isn't helping either. 

Yea I also think tec 411 is over valued a bit with 395 by far the most undervalued. I mean tec 395 vs BB 85, its a no brainer.

I also feel like Bats 251 is a bit over valued although I still get crazy money for those when I have an extra one to spare.

Seems also like tec 400 has softened a bit.

222 I think still has some room to move up.

237 is a bit easier to find, but not many ultra centered ones in high grade.

405 was undervalued for years until recently.

On 7/20/2017 at 4:15 PM, Brian48 said:

OK.  One more time.  Looks like we can say goodbye to BB 79 now.

Capture.JPG

As I posted in the other thread, it looks like the BA Bats and 'Tec issues except for the Top 4 on your chart here and 'Tec 405, have pretty well flat lined on a year over year basis.  hm

59 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

Well, the Fantucchio's went for stupid money.  A very nice looking 9.2 227 for $2,001.00.  I thought I went aggressively at it and got smashed like a grape.  Oh well.  9.4's aren't going for that! 

That was crazy money for that 9.2, someone really wanted it, good for them 

21 minutes ago, DarkKnightReturns said:

That was crazy money for that 9.2, someone really wanted it, good for them 

Agreed.  My non ped 9.2 looks better and I bought it for about half that amount this year. 

That being said, I put in (in my mind) a very aggressive bid and wasn't even close.