• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

Well, I guess this is the real question. Where can I find a 227 in 9.0+ or better condition :) ?

That 9.6 with the date stamp just bothers the heck out of me.

8.0-9.0 copies come up for sale pretty regularly. Keep watch on eBay, Heritage, ComicLink, ComicConnect and here on the boards. I have 4 graded copies right now but am not selling. I am in hoarding mode now to keep pace with Kimik! :hi:

Based on what you have been posting, you are well ahead of me in the hoarding department right now. (worship)

I hope so.... but sadly I would agree with Kimik that 232 is probably the biggest key to own... or possibly 234, as I see less of them around. However, Ras Al Ghul is the bigger BA villain which means it would hold more value. 227 is harder to find in HG because of the dark cover, about 5 times as many 232's in 9.4 and over as 227.

That is a stunning 9.4 you have.

FWIW, I have always focused on accumulating multiples of #227 when hoarding because the cover is so cool. However, #232 is a way more significant book.

Batman #234 is a nice book as well, but only commands the high prices due to the lower numbers in high grade. Two-Face is a decent villain, but does not come close to good old Ras.

If someone is looking for the best in BA Bats reading, the arc starting in #232, then followed up with in #243 and #244 can't be beat. (thumbs u

I agree with Ryan and Adam that Bats #232 is an always in demand book with arguably the best Adams Bats cover, but there are many on the census without much room to grow as an investment. Adams Batman books with some great future potential: Tec 395 (1st O'neal/Adams story), Tec 402 (Tough dark cover Manbat story), Tec 411 (1st Talia). Without checking, I believe there are relatively few of these out there in 9.2+ compared to both Bats 227 and 232. You can't go wrong with a Bats 227 in 9.2+ though. There will always be demand among Batman collectors for that cover in all grades. (thumbs u

Great minds do think alike. (thumbs u

I would also add Tec #405 to the list. Still tough to find in high grade and features the 1st League of Assassins. I have always liked that book.

Another one that will hold its value over time will be Bats #251 with the classic Joker cover. There are tons of copies out there in HG, but it continues to sell well and slowly move up in price.

A couple of others that are surprisingly tough in HG are Tec #397 and Bats #245. Both are worth snagging if you can find them in 9.0+.

In any case, you really can't go wrong with picking up HG copies of Adams cover Bats and Tecs. (thumbs u

I just got beat out over at Heritage on a 9.6 Detective 395. I went as high as 3100, but started to get internet lag after that. The person who was on the floor bidding against me was much faster. Auction ended at over $3700. Wow.

I think if you asked 10 people this question, you'd come up with 6 or 7 diferent answers....

My favourite single issue has always been Batman 251, where the Joker is portrayed as a much darker, sociopathic character, and which has fantastic interior art by Adams, doing both pencilling and inking.

I hope so.... but sadly I would agree with Kimik that 232 is probably the biggest key to own... or possibly 234, as I see less of them around. However, Ras Al Ghul is the bigger BA villain which means it would hold more value. 227 is harder to find in HG because of the dark cover, about 5 times as many 232's in 9.4 and over as 227.

IMG_1077.jpg

That's an exceptional copy. Here's my beat-up copy.

gpksketch1001.jpg

nothin wrong with a nice reader copy, besides you have the real deal. I'd trade all my BA books for a copy of Tec 31.

IMG_1077.jpg

gpksketch1001.jpg

nothin wrong with a nice reader copy, besides you have the real deal. I'd trade all my BA books for a copy of Tec 31.

My 227 is a great reader alright. I fell in love with Tec 31 about two years ago. <3

(thumbs u

I'd trade every book I own for the right Tec 31.

IMG_1077.jpg

gpksketch1001.jpg

My 227 is a great reader alright. I fell in love with Tec 31 about two years ago. <3

That looks like one of Chuck's NM copies lol lol

But seriously though i finally found out who owns the NM+9.6 Oakland copy which is still in its old blue label. I offered him crazy money and he still wouldnt take it.

(thumbs u

That Tec 31 4.5 is the right copy... I'd love a 4.5 copy of that book...I'll be happy with one of the 4 4.0 copies that are out there somewhere...

(thumbs u

That Tec 31 4.5 is the right copy... I'd love a 4.5 copy of that book...I'll be happy with one of the 4 4.0 copies that are out there somewhere...

You mean like this? :grin:

det31f.jpg

(thumbs u

det31f.jpg

No...

:jokealert: yes that's a beauty...

Edited by Twistty1

(thumbs u

det31f.jpg

Yes, that one would do! :headbang: