• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

Someone is going nuts on the Heritage 9.6 Bats 227. $5.736 with BP???????? I hope the eventual winner isn't thinking it will press to a 9.8.

Yeah, maybe. There's actually a much nicer 9.6 with W pages coming up in the next Comicconnect auction.

Someone is going nuts on the Heritage 9.6 Bats 227. $5.736 with BP???????? I hope the eventual winner isn't thinking it will press to a 9.8.

Yeah, maybe. There's actually a much nicer 9.6 with W pages coming up in the next Comicconnect auction.

Agreed, I'd be very active on the CC copy if the tiny, minute bottom left corner was perfectly aligned. The one positive about being super picky is that it saves money.

BTW, page 227 of this thread now!

Agreed, I'd be very active on the CC copy if the tiny, minute bottom left corner was perfectly aligned. The one positive about being super picky is that it saves money.

BTW, page 227 of this thread now!

:applause: Had to post for page 227.

I didn't go through all 227 pages of this thread, so apologies if this has been raised, but I cannot help but think Detective #395 is the sleeper here. Of course, it currently doesn't hold a candle to Tec 400 or 411 or Bats 227, 232, 234, but it is the first Adams/O'Neil Batman story, and a ras al ghul prototype, to boot.

I know it lacks the iconic cover of a GL 76, but it's the comparable Bat book in all other ways.

Yeah, I think that was discussed somewhere in the Bronze forum not that long ago, but can't remember if it had its own thread. 'Tec 395 and Bats 217 should both be given their due as the baton pass from Silver to Bronze in Batman.

And I quite like the cover to 395. I have a copy on my desk at work and often lose myself in it when work gets to be too much. I always think "Jeez Batman, just choose immortality, it's really not that tough."

I always think "Jeez Batman, just choose immortality, it's really not that tough."

lol

I feel like #395 was getting a lot of attention 5 or so years ago, and then cooled off somewhat. Not really sure why.

Yeah, I think that was discussed somewhere in the Bronze forum not that long ago, but can't remember if it had its own thread. 'Tec 395 and Bats 217 should both be given their due as the baton pass from Silver to Bronze in Batman.

And I quite like the cover to 395. I have a copy on my desk at work and often lose myself in it when work gets to be too much. I always think "Jeez Batman, just choose immortality, it's really not that tough."

Many years ago, 395 was a key...for ME. The story had been reprinted a lot, and was given a lot of attention for what a radical departure it was. And the cover WAS/IS iconic!

A great, underrated book. Could pop again as people continue to distinguish between specific Adams keys...

Many years ago, 395 was a key...for ME. The story had been reprinted a lot, and was given a lot of attention for what a radical departure it was. And the cover WAS/IS iconic!

A great, underrated book. Could pop again as people continue to distinguish between specific Adams keys...

I'm not sure why, but Overstreet does not view 'Tec 395 as a key. It's not listed or priced any differently than the other Adams non-key issues in the 'Tec run (i.e. 397, 402, 407, etc..). Even 'Tec 404 gets more notice as OSPG mentions it for being an Enemy Ace tribute. It's also a much tougher to find book in high grade. I haven't seen too many slabbed copies 9.0+ over the last few years.

Completely agree with all you guys on this one. D.C. Acknowledged it's historic significance with a Milennium Edition, but the guide has yet to call it out.

Census only shows 121 slabs thus far, with 59 at 9.0 and above. No 9.8 and only 2 at 9.6.

I can't help but feel that for all the importance of the GL/GA groundbreaking series that Adams and O'Neil did, they also brought Bats all the way back to his pre-Robin roots and laid the groundwork for Miller's Dark Knight, and the character as he is loved today.

I'm not minimizing GL/GA, but I think this book is just as much the start (rebirth) of something important to the hobby. Off the top of my head, it may be the most underrated bronze book out there.

Completely agree with all you guys on this one. D.C. Acknowledged it's historic significance with a Milennium Edition, but the guide has yet to call it out.

Census only shows 121 slabs thus far, with 59 at 9.0 and above. No 9.8 and only 2 at 9.6.

I can't help but feel that for all the importance of the GL/GA groundbreaking series that Adams and O'Neil did, they also brought Bats all the way back to his pre-Robin roots and laid the groundwork for Miller's Dark Knight, and the character as he is loved today.

I'm not minimizing GL/GA, but I think this book is just as much the start (rebirth) of something important to the hobby. Off the top of my head, it may be the most underrated bronze book out there.

I forgot about the Millennium Edition! And, yes, GL/GA 76 brought relevance to comics--a big, big deal. But what O'Neil/Adams started with Batman in Detective 395 begat Frank Miller begat Tim Burton begat the modern superhero film universes. For Batman to become the global phenomenon he is today, he needed a Detective 395 to get there. If GL/GA 76 helped comics grow up, Detective 395 helped comics grow out.

Many people also overlook the importance of Neal's B&B run...... and many of those predate the 395...... the 85 has the first "new look" Green Arrow and establishes that character before the launching of GL/GA 76...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...while Neal had done several Batman covers by the time, his work in World's Finest 175 is probably his first attempt at an interior story with Batman :cloud9: