• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, greggy said:

Detective395CGC9.6.jpg&key=f64c7e422a15c

Well, it looks like that Twin Cities 9.6 is no longer alone at the top spot for Tec 395.  This copy certainly looks a lot sharper than that other 9.6.  If I recall, that other book  originally sold for 5k+ over at Heritage a few years ago, but later went for lower about a year or two later.

28 minutes ago, Brian48 said:

Well, it looks like that Twin Cities 9.6 is no longer alone at the top spot for Tec 395.  This copy certainly looks a lot sharper than that other 9.6.  If I recall, that other book  originally sold for 5k+ over at Heritage a few years ago, but later went for lower about a year or two later.

It was $3700ish and $3300ish.  I just looked at the scan of the Twin Cities copy and I don't think that it would get a 9.4 with the tighter grading nowadays.  2011 was a pretty lax period based on the scans of that book.

Grading on both the Twin Cities and Savannah collections were much looser than we are seeing now. I like the current standards. 

What does the back cover of your new 9.6 look like, Greg?

24 minutes ago, kimik said:

Grading on both the Twin Cities and Savannah collections were much looser than we are seeing now. I like the current standards. 

I'll be nice and scan it when I get home.

2 hours ago, Brian48 said:

There’s been 2 9.6s for years now - Greggy’s Copy is now the 3rd.

6 hours ago, kimik said:

Detective395BC.jpg

Can’t believe this thread has slipped down so far.

I miss my Bat keys.

Thinking about getting a #227 sometime in the future, what’s the pricing like these days on a 9.4?

8 hours ago, bane said:

I miss my Bat keys.

Thinking about getting a #227 sometime in the future, what’s the pricing like these days on a 9.4?

Not many sales in the past few years.  The ones I've seen, I've passed on because of centering issues.  The price has been pretty stagnant for the past few years.  $1,350 to $1,500 should be the price range and if the centering is spot on and pq is excellent, you'll pay a premium to that range.  The Fantucchio 9.2 W went for $2,001.00, which I thought was nuts, but it sure was a nice looking copy. 

On 3/17/2018 at 8:13 AM, bane said:

That's 'cause Bat collectors are still recovering from the massively disappointing crapfest that was BvS.

2 hours ago, kimik said:

Nah, we just need to change the title. Nobody buys Bats #227s anymore. It is #251 that is the hot book now.........

Was surprised when I sold my #251 how much it had jumped in price compared to when I bought it :whatthe:

Great cover and one of the best in the 200s.

6 hours ago, bane said:

Was surprised when I sold my #251 how much it had jumped in price compared to when I bought it :whatthe:

Great cover and one of the best in the 200s.

251 is one book I still don't have.  Getting a white paged, perfectly centered copy in 9.2/9.4 is no easy feat.

9 hours ago, scooter99 said:

251 is one book I still don't have.  Getting a white paged, perfectly centered copy in 9.2/9.4 is no easy feat.

It doesn't seem like 232 or 251 are particularly hard to find in high-grade in my opinion (there's several 251 9.4's on the bay right now), so you have the luxury of being choosy, at least. Those little bubbles at the top of 251 are kind of one of my sub-criteria and it seems they're usually cut off at least by a sliver, if not a chunk. I really lucked out on mine, but I'd had to sit on the sidelines and watch a number of other decent copies go by while I was short on funds. Finally had the perfect confluence of having the available cash, white pages, nice centering and wrap, right grade and reasonable price, but a lot of frustration came before that. Kinda the same story with my 232. Tec 400/402 and Bats 243 have been the thorns in my side. 

And, yeah, I still say 251 or 232 should be the real Bronze Bat-Key Death Match.