• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Too good to be true

39 posts in this topic

I thought it would be interesting to hear stories about to good to be true deals you may have found on comics..

so ill start to give an idea what i mean.. At my local comic book store last week they were having a buy one get one free sale where I picked a copy of giant size xmen 1 in a 2.5 and amazing spiderman 121 in a 6.5 for $40..thats only $20 each..

another time from the same place another sale i got a uncanny xmen 266 in a 9.4 and amazing spiderman 238 (no tattoos so would be a qualified 8.5) for $16 so thats $8 each..

And one for ebay..Got a amazing spiderman 7 in about a 2.0 for only $25..So if you have any stories about great deals you have found please post them

I bought ASM 121, 122, and 129, X-Men 94, GSX 1 and Hulk 180-182 for cover price at the time they were published. When slabbed they received grades ranging from 8.5 to 9.6. Wish I'd bought multiples.

I bought ASM 121, 122, and 129, X-Men 94, GSX 1 and Hulk 180-182 for cover price at the time they were published. When slabbed they received grades ranging from 8.5 to 9.6. Wish I'd bought multiples.

It`s good to be old! :baiting:

Not Bronze books, but here they are...

1. A complete, low-grade Amazing Spidey #1 at a convention in the late '90s for $100 -- it was buried in a dealer's box, and was there for at least a full day before I snagged it. Pretty cheap, even back then...

2. Captain American Comics (Weird Tales) #75 in VG+ for $30 at a local shop ca. 2000.

Still have the Spidey; the Cap is long-gone...

Back in 1995 I found a Jonah Hex # 1 in Fine for $1. Had I pressed, he would have given it to me for free, as "nobody collects westerns." Fast foward to last year, and I found a 7.0 copy at the DC Comic Con for a whopping $4.

In 1994, my LCS got in some beater (2.0) copies of some early Avengers and Daredevil issues and just threw them in the back issue bins--even told folks about them. Avengers 1 was gone by the time I got there, but I picked up the Daredevil # 1, 3, and 5 in 2.0 each for $11 total.

It`s good to be old! :baiting:

In a select few ways. ;)

Walking on the streets of manhattan in i thin k it was 2001 I got a copy of Amazing Spiderman 101 ( first Morbius) for $4 i believe. Was in vg shape. Still a good price. Also got a Vg copy of Amazing Spiderman 28 (First Molten man ) in VG range for $8. Always see guys on the streets of manhattan back in the late 90's and early 2000's selling comic books. 2 of the better deals

As for Bronze age it would be in the mid 1990's I walked into a comic book store and saw two f-vf copies of Giant size Xmen 1 and Xmen 94 for $20 each. Suffice to say I grabbed them. They were $100 books and hot at the time but did not have the prices they do now . Probally got them for 1/5 of the price.

Back in like 95-96, Gary Dolgoff would run huge ads in CBG for comic lots at 60% off. Most were low grade but one time he had some Spideys listed as VF+, there were like 5 in one lot 123,125,129,131 and 135 which i ordered. The price was around $100 but 60% off so i only paid something like $40 for it.

All of them arrived in at least 8.5, including the ASM 129 :banana:

I still have the ad somewhere in my comic roon. Im gonna have to try and dig it up and get the exact prices hm

In 1980 I bought an AF #15 for $ 500 in mid grade 5.0/5.5 ish,used to work at a Winchells Donut shop after school for comic book money.I still have the book today,and probably till the day I die.I'm sure if I sell it I probably could make my money back? hm

I probally purchased 1/4 of my collection or more from Gary Dolgoff and those ads. I got my Hulk 181 in VF for around $40. I got so many books cheap from that back in the mid 90's .

Back in like 95-96, Gary Dolgoff would run huge ads in CBG for comic lots at 60% off. Most were low grade but one time he had some Spideys listed as VF+, there were like 5 in one lot 123,125,129,131 and 135 which i ordered. The price was around $100 but 60% off so i only paid something like $40 for it.

All of them arrived in at least 8.5, including the ASM 129 :banana:

I still have the ad somewhere in my comic roon. Im gonna have to try and dig it up and get the exact prices hm

Not a bronze or a copper, but about a month ago I found a VF/NM copy of NYX 3 at Vintage Stock in the back issue long boxes. I paid $2.55.

Thats awesome..Vintage stock is where ive found all my awesome buy one get one free deals..Sometimes they have awesome comics priced way below guide then other times way above guide..Just gotta be there at the right time to find one of those awesome deals

A few years ago I bought a set of six, red, 6" plastic Marx statues (Hulk, Thor, Cap, Spidey, Daredevil and Iron Man) from 1968 at an antiques mall for $20. Found out last year they're worth about $22 each. I'm not planning to retire on these, but I smile every time I look at them. I've seen some that were painted (which I think they were designed for), but I have no desire to.