• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Too good to be true

39 posts in this topic

Since people have shared stories on Silver Age books I've got a Copper Age story

A number of years ago I was looking for Spider-Man #1s to collect. I found an auction that had the regular and gold variants signed by McFarlane. This was the only thing that in the subject line. Almost as an extra there was an OA Spider-Man piece. I won the auction for maybe $20 shipped and got everything. I looked at the OA and didn't recognize the title on it. I tried talking to the seller but she didn't have a clue about it. I have a feeling it was a wife/girlfriend that was getting rid of her husband/boyfriends comics and didn't care.

Turns out the OA is from the 80's Official Marvel Try-Out Book by Romita Jr.

It is now hanging up in my stairway.

DSC_0537.jpg

Since people have shared stories on Silver Age books I've got a Copper Age story

A number of years ago I was looking for Spider-Man #1s to collect. I found an auction that had the regular and gold variants signed by McFarlane. This was the only thing that in the subject line. Almost as an extra there was an OA Spider-Man piece. I won the auction for maybe $20 shipped and got everything. I looked at the OA and didn't recognize the title on it. I tried talking to the seller but she didn't have a clue about it. I have a feeling it was a wife/girlfriend that was getting rid of her husband/boyfriends comics and didn't care.

Turns out the OA is from the 80's Official Marvel Try-Out Book by Romita Jr.

It is now hanging up in my stairway.

DSC_0537.jpg

thats an awesome piece..I love OA

Oops, wrong Age. Never mind

it seems people are posting any age in this anyways.

I just got another awesome deal from my comic store who has buy one get one free on every holiday..so for the memorial day sale i got a iron man 1 (4.5) and amazing spiderman 26 (4.5) for $50..And the guy working there told me that he just sold a avengers 1 in about a 4.0 for a $100..im so bummed that i went a day to late..Would of been exstatic to of got that and iron man 1 for a $100

Todays a great day..Just stopped by a comic shop that i havent been to in a few monthes ( they never have anything im interested in)..But today found a copy of amazing spiderman 300 (7.0) for $12 layin with the random assortment of comics he had..Also got amazing spiderman 100 (6.0) and daredevil 168 (6.0) for $10..

In the mid-80s I picked up FF #1 and FF #2 at a used book fair. They were in a box under a book dealer's table, mixed in with a bunch of $1 dreck. They were both in F/VF condition. I got the pair of them for $50.

I started collecting CGCs in 2006.

One of the very first CGCs I bought was a Hulk 181 in 8.5 off ebay for $650. That was a very very good price for that book then (not sure what they go for now).

The Hulk 181 came with a raw 180 that the ebay seller claimed was in equal or better condition than the 181. I thought this was a great deal and bid far over the $650 it took to win the 2 books. I did not understand why the books went for so low at the time.

Later I would realize that the listing had all the signs of a ebay scammer [virtually no feedback, bad scans, over the top description]. I was too new to the game to realize it at the time [and certainly fell for a few scams before the learning curve kicked in - most painfully with a Silver Surfer 4].

But it wasn't a scam, it was just an equally naive seller.

When I got the Hulk 180 and 181, I was really happy. Despite the bad scan, the 181 was a very nice book with good registration and no markings. And the 180 was, to my very inexperienced eyes, much much nicer. I remember thumbing through it and thinking, damn, this looks like it just came out.

Later I would start submitting books to CGC. The Hulk 180 was in my first batch of submissions. It came back as a 9.4. Still later, I started having my under-copies evaluated for pressing after I up-graded but before selling them. The original 8.5 Hulk 181 came back as a 9.2 from pressing.

Eventually, I sent out my 9.4 Hulk 180 after up-grading to a 9.6. It pressed up to a 9.8. Then the 9.6 pressed up to a 9.8 too. I eventually bought a 9.8 Hulk 181. The 9.6 under-copy to that pressed up to a 9.8 too.

When all was said and done, though a long series of transactions involving 7 separate copies, I ended up with a 9.8 Hulk 180 and a 9.8 Hulk 181 for nothing..........plus an extra 11 thousand dollars.

Of course, I've watched prices for 9.8 Hulk 180s and 181s nosedive since then but my cost basis in the books is still zero minus 11 grand.

The Hulk and Wolverine will always be two of my favorite characters.

I had picked up a copy of Marvel Collectible Classics: Spider-Man #1 (Chromium #300) for $10 on CCL.

I thought the guy had made a mistake and I messaged him telling him how much that book goes for. He messaged me back assuring me he knew hat he was doing and even informed me the Overstreet had in listed in NM for $10.

His loss, my gain! Sent it to CGC and it came back 9.8.

When all was said and done, though a long series of transactions involving 7 separate copies, I ended up with a 9.8 Hulk 180 and a 9.8 Hulk 181 for nothing..........plus an extra 11 thousand dollars.

Of course, I've watched prices for 9.8 Hulk 180s and 181s nosedive since then but my cost basis in the books is still zero minus 11 grand.

Sweet! :applause:

I started collecting CGCs in 2006.

One of the very first CGCs I bought was a Hulk 181 in 8.5 off ebay for $650. That was a very very good price for that book then (not sure what they go for now).

The Hulk 181 came with a raw 180 that the ebay seller claimed was in equal or better condition than the 181. I thought this was a great deal and bid far over the $650 it took to win the 2 books. I did not understand why the books went for so low at the time.

Later I would realize that the listing had all the signs of a ebay scammer [virtually no feedback, bad scans, over the top description]. I was too new to the game to realize it at the time [and certainly fell for a few scams before the learning curve kicked in - most painfully with a Silver Surfer 4].

But it wasn't a scam, it was just an equally naive seller.

When I got the Hulk 180 and 181, I was really happy. Despite the bad scan, the 181 was a very nice book with good registration and no markings. And the 180 was, to my very inexperienced eyes, much much nicer. I remember thumbing through it and thinking, damn, this looks like it just came out.

Later I would start submitting books to CGC. The Hulk 180 was in my first batch of submissions. It came back as a 9.4. Still later, I started having my under-copies evaluated for pressing after I up-graded but before selling them. The original 8.5 Hulk 181 came back as a 9.2 from pressing.

Eventually, I sent out my 9.4 Hulk 180 after up-grading to a 9.6. It pressed up to a 9.8. Then the 9.6 pressed up to a 9.8 too. I eventually bought a 9.8 Hulk 181. The 9.6 under-copy to that pressed up to a 9.8 too.

The Hulk and Wolverine will always be two of my favorite characters.

thats awesome..i have a 1.0 and a 5.0 copy and for sure ready to upgrade

I had picked up a copy of Marvel Collectible Classics: Spider-Man #1 (Chromium #300) for $10 on CCL.

I thought the guy had made a mistake and I messaged him telling him how much that book goes for. He messaged me back assuring me he knew hat he was doing and even informed me the Overstreet had in listed in NM for $10.

no kidding..thats cool that you were up front with him about it and didnt take advantage of him

I thought the guy had made a mistake and I messaged him telling him how much that book goes for. He messaged me back assuring me he knew that he was doing and even informed me the Overstreet had in listed in NM for $10.

no kidding..thats cool that you were up front with him about it and didnt take advantage of him

Yeah, I would've felt bad if I didn't at least try to tell him.

But strangely, if you do look in Overstreet, they actually do list the value at $10.

(shrug)

I thought the guy had made a mistake and I messaged him telling him how much that book goes for. He messaged me back assuring me he knew that he was doing and even informed me the Overstreet had in listed in NM for $10.

Yeah, I would've felt bad if I didn't at least try to tell him.

But strangely, if you do look in Overstreet, they actually do list the value at $10.

(shrug)

yea i have a 2005 edition and noticed that then i seen them goin for more than the regular editions on ebay

Not Bronze books, but here they are...

1. A complete, low-grade Amazing Spidey #1 at a convention in the late '90s for $100 -- it was buried in a dealer's box, and was there for at least a full day before I snagged it. Pretty cheap, even back then...

Still have the Spidey; the Cap is long-gone...

:applause: