• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

As *spoon* as Arch comes back from vacation Hepcat will still be Hepcat.
8 8

1,113 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

Jose and Manuel were a pair of crows that appeared in a small handful of Looney Tunes cartoons in the 1950s:

15thumb.jpg

That just flashed back a few memories,thank you for that!I remember sitting next to my grandfather-he LOVED Looney Tunes-and laughing like crazy at those two.This would have been in the early to mid eighties,I wonder when they were last in rotation.

And speaking of black birds, here's the saga of Wing Ding, the character, the legend!

(Reader discretion advised. Not suited for animal lovers or the faint of heart.)

Shari%209_zpsykemcbdb.jpg

While Shari Lewis had introduced her signature character Lamb Chop on the Captain Kangaroo show in March 1956, Hush Puppy, Charlie Horse and Wing Ding were all introduced on Shari's Hi Mom show which aired on WRCA-TV in New York from 1957-59. When NBC gave Shari her first network program, The Shari Lewis Show, which debuted on 1 October 1960 replacing The Howdy Doody Show, her family of puppets made the move with her.

But a problem eventually arose. You see Wing Ding was a crow and therefore black. Wing Ding was as a result seen as a caricature of an African-American by certain over-imaginative segments of the populace and thus politically incorrect. You couldn't have that kind of thing on prime time TV, now could you? So at some point Shari bowed to parental or network pressure and had Wing Ding put down. Yes, truly a very sad, cruel and tragic ending to a beloved TV character from the fifties.

:/

After The Shari Lewis Show's run ended in 1963, NBC unaccountably taped the 1964 and national conventions over The Shari Lewis Show tapes thus destroying them! I wonder how much that cost NBC and Shari Lewis in lost future syndication revenues?

Though long gone from the airwaves, Wing Ding still survives in the hearts of fans since his noble visage continues to adorn many Shari Lewis collectibles from the early sixties:

Shari%201_zpsojbz02hb.jpg

Shari%205_zpstvdkhpxf.jpg

Shari%206_zpsj6he5sth.jpg

Shari%207_zps5fygyini.jpg

Shari%208_zpsio9laiyk.jpg

Halco%20Shari%20Lewis_zpsjxq275vo.jpg

Halco%20Wing%20Ding%202_zps2rjhjews.jpg

Including these from my own collection:

Shari%202_zpsaslnwwcv.jpg

ShariLewisGame.jpg

ShariLewisthermos5.jpg

ShariLewisThermos4.jpg

:popcorn:

1 hour ago, Nice Face said:

Booooo! Put this thread back in the Journal section where it belongs!

who is this? you obviously were here before as you mentioned CGCshare.com or something like that from back in the day... 

So due to changes in this and other forums, a lot of pictures seem to have disappeared from the posts I've made in the last two years. Let me try to fix those posts. From 22 December 2017:

Here are scans of a baker's dozen of the Murphy Anderson covers from my collection that I like the best:

file.php?id=1649

file.php?id=1650

file.php?id=1651

file.php?id=1647

file.php?id=1648

file.php?id=1653

file.php?id=1652

file.php?id=1654

file.php?id=1655

22-08-2011105848PM.jpg

04-12-201293545PM.jpg

StrangeAdventures144.jpg

22-05-201131504PM.jpg

:)

On 11/16/2019 at 11:20 PM, Hepcat said:

No, no Homer the Happy Ghost. Plenty of Spooky, a number of Casper and this one solitary Timmy the Timid Ghost though!

22-05-201130619PM.jpg

But I agree that Homer is a must title for any self-respecting Marvel comics collector.

(thumbsu

:)

timmys.jpg.366637549568d5f2fbe5e165860c7bfa.jpg

1 minute ago, Hepcat said:

What? How/why did you get all those copies of the same issue? 

:whatthe:

The two on the left look really nice!

(thumbsu

Thanks Hep. Pop over to my Brent thread and all will be revealed....

On 11/13/2019 at 3:06 PM, F For Fake said:

I think you should definitely get the old thread opened up, but also keep this one open and just post pics of Hammer Horror babes.

Here then is Madeline Smith from The Vampire Lovers if you need something to tide you over:

AMadelineSmith-1.jpg

:luhv:

Edited by Hepcat

Repairing and re-entering a post from 31 December 2017:

Here are my ten favourite toys from my childhood years. I limited my selections to only those toys I either had or really coveted but never managed to obtain as a kid. Accordingly I rejected a bunch of really cool toys from that era that I'd love to have today simply because I just don't remember being aware of them at the time, e.g. Ideal King Zor, Kenner Give-A-Show Projector, MPC Pop-Tops, Ideal Godzilla Board Game, Hamilton's Invaders, Marx Prehistoric Times Playset, etc, etc.

Here then in rough order is my list:

MY TEN FAVOURITE TOYS FROM MY CHILDHOOD YEARS

1. Mad, Mad, Mad Scientist Laboratory

4562075255_671eaa206b_b.jpg

2. Monogram 330P/LM Ferrari 1/32 Scale Slot Car Kit

AFerrari.jpg

AFerrariinterior.jpg

3. Aurora Bride of Frankenstein Model Kit
JCbridefranknstnMIBA_lg.jpg

4. Nash Skateboard (wooden with steel wheels)

ANash.jpg

5. Lionel HO Electric Train Set with Launching Helicopter and Bobbing Head Giraffe Cars
lionelho0319-Y1A_zpsc71bb0a4.jpg

17-09-2013101924PM_zps3e2349dd.jpg

17-09-2013101930PM_zps3b9dfd47.jpg

6. Revell Rat Fink Model Kit

RevellratFink_zps656ab25d.jpg

7. Duncan Imperial Spin Top

ADuncan1.jpg

DuncanCounter_zps5975a079.jpg

8. Marx Three Keys to Treasure Bagatelle

ThreeKeys_zps3128a502.jpg

9. Hasbro Marble Maze

MarbleMaze.jpg

MarbleMazeGame2.jpg

10. Kenner Rocky & Bullwinkle Presto Sparkle Paint Set

RockyBullwinklePresto2.jpg

B|
Edited by Hepcat

1 hour ago, Hepcat said:
Repairing and reentering a post from 31 December 2017:

Here are my ten favourite toys from my childhood years. I limited my selections to only those toys I either had or really coveted but never managed to obtain as a kid. Accordingly I rejected a bunch of really cool toys from that era that I'd love to have today simply because I just don't remember being aware of them at the time, e.g. Ideal King Zor, Kenner Give-A-Show Projector, MPC Pop-Tops, Ideal Godzilla Board Game, Hamilton's Invaders, Marx Prehistoric Times Playset, etc, etc.

Here then in rough order is my list:

MY TEN FAVOURITE TOYS FROM MY CHILDHOOD YEARS

1. Mad, Mad, Mad Scientist Laboratory

4562075255_671eaa206b_b.jpg

2. Monogram 330P/LM Ferrari 1/32 Scale Slot Car Kit

AFerrari.jpg

AFerrariinterior.jpg

3. Aurora Bride of Frankenstein Model Kit
JCbridefranknstnMIBA_lg.jpg

4. Nash Skateboard (wooden with steel wheels)

ANash.jpg

5. Lionel HO Electric Train Set with Launching Helicopter and Bobbing Head Giraffe Cars
lionelho0319-Y1A_zpsc71bb0a4.jpg

17-09-2013101924PM_zps3e2349dd.jpg

17-09-2013101930PM_zps3b9dfd47.jpg

6. Revell Rat Fink Model Kit

RevellratFink_zps656ab25d.jpg

7. Duncan Imperial Spin Top

ADuncan1.jpg

DuncanCounter_zps5975a079.jpg

8. Marx Three Keys to Treasure Bagatelle

ThreeKeys_zps3128a502.jpg

9. Hasbro Marble Maze

MarbleMaze.jpg

MarbleMazeGame2.jpg

10. Kenner Rocky & Bullwinkle Presto Sparkle Paint Set

RockyBullwinklePresto2.jpg

B|

really cool stuff I wanted that mad scientist chemistry kit when I was younger but it wasn't that exact one maybe a more modern version of it.. Still really cool stuff.

I remember seeing some Rat Fink Car models or hot wheels can't remember on that show American Pickers.

Repairing and re-entering a post from 9 January 2018:

Continuing the list of my favourite toys from my childhood years:

11. Parker Bros. Monopoly Game

Monopoly_zpsb0f90b76.jpg

Monopolyd_zps9198ca42.jpg

12. Cox Spitfire with .049 Thimble Drome Engine

CoxSpitfire_zpsb219cdd5.jpg

Plane.jpg

13. Topper Johnny Seven O.M.A.

7a6daf1eabacb61074cd3bbffff1aec6--fps-mm

14. Mattel Creepy Crawlers Thingmaker

CreepyCrawlers.jpg

15. Milton Bradley The Deputy Game

TheDeputyGame3_zpsa95eb045.jpg

16. Coleco Power Play Hockey Game

ColecoGame_zpsb4a6bf94.jpg

17. Eagle Electric Canadian Football Game

Eagle-EF-1963-iW_zpspczxqos7.jpg

The 1962-63 version of an electric football game above was the one I actually played but it was very crude compared to this beautiful Grey Cup Game that Coleco (which acquired Eagle in 1968) produced in 1970:

file.php?id=3121&t=1

18. Ohio Art Ring Toss

ohio%20Art%20Ring%20Toss_zpsnbbrgz4z.png

Ohio%20Art%20Ring%20Toss%201_zpsdictzdap

Honourable mention goes to two items that didn't make my list because I wasn't sure they could be properly classified as toys:

Standard Plastics Creature-Wolfman Monster Wallet

walletdz9.jpg

Peacock Crayons

PeacockCrayons_zps61e7823e.jpg

Peacock Crayons had the dominant market share (yes bigger than Crayola) in Canada up until some time in the 1960's. Crayons of course needed the accompaniment of colouring books. I remember admiring Shari Lewis and Deputy Dawg colouring books at the News Depot in downtown London but I can't say for sure whether these were colouring books I actually had.

:smile:

Edited by Hepcat