• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

As *spoon* as Arch comes back from vacation Hepcat will still be Hepcat.
8 8

1,113 posts in this topic

The D ick Tracy newspaper strip was one of my very favourites in the 1960's. It ran on the very front page of the colour comic section in the Saturday London Free Press. Here are scans from my small collection of D ick Tracy comics:

31-05-2012110216PM.jpg

31-05-2012110219PM.jpg

31-05-2012110222PM.jpg

31-05-2012110225PM.jpg

31-05-2012110228PM.jpg

The last Harvey issue of D ick Tracy was #145 cover dated April 1961. I'd like to add more issues to my collection over time.

:)

It was fifty years ago on the 6th of December that the infamous concert at the Altamont Speedway in California would bring the curtain down on flower power and the love generation:

Compelling evidence indeed that hasty last minute planning of a free concert in California that would end up attracting 300,000 music fans and sundry LSD and amphetamine fuelled hippies, the budget driven hiring of drunken Hells Angels to provide security and a collection of rock bands including the Rolling Stones don't mix. Despite the resultant deaths including that of Meredith Hunter, things could have turned out even worse. Hunter was according to his own girlfriend enraged, irrational and "so high (on methamphetamines) that he could barely walk". Who did he intend to shoot with the revolver? Angels, Stones, or was he just going to start shooting?

Nonetheless it was fitting that the Rolling Stones who had made a career out of being the "bad boys of rock" were not just present but were key players at the denouement of the Woodstock generation.

December 1969 was also the month of release of the LP Let It Bleed which marked the demarcation point between the Brian Jones era of the Stones and the Mick Taylor era. Neither fellow played much on the LP. Brian Jones played autoharp on You Got the Silver and added percussion to Midnight Rambler but that was it. Mick Taylor meanwhile played guitar on Live With Me and slide guitar on Country Honk but that too was it.

Let%20It%20Bleed_zpsmca5jiyt.jpg

The LP contained several tracks still regarded as all-time classics:

What's ironic is that back in their early years in 1963-64 the Stones had repeatedly insisted that they were not a rock band but a "rhythm 'n blues" band. Yet beginning with the 1966 release of Aftermath, the Stones had by December of 1969 released five LPs that had stretched the boundaries of rock music. They were of course also billing themselves as the "World's Greatest Rock & Roll Band" by this time.

:juggle:

On 12/6/2019 at 10:00 PM, Hepcat said:

It was fifty years ago on the 6th of December that the infamous concert at the Altamont Speedway in California would bring the curtain down on flower power and the love generation:

Compelling evidence indeed that hasty last minute planning of a free concert in California that would end up attracting 300,000 music fans and sundry LSD and amphetamine fuelled hippies, the budget driven hiring of drunken Hells Angels to provide security and a collection of rock bands including the Rolling Stones don't mix. Despite the resultant deaths including that of Meredith Hunter, things could have turned out even worse. Hunter was according to his own girlfriend enraged, irrational and "so high (on methamphetamines) that he could barely walk". Who did he intend to shoot with the revolver? Angels, Stones, or was he just going to start shooting?

Nonetheless it was fitting that the Rolling Stones who had made a career out of being the "bad boys of rock" were not just present but were key players at the denouement of the Woodstock generation.

December 1969 was also the month of release of the LP Let It Bleed which marked the demarcation point between the Brian Jones era of the Stones and the Mick Taylor era. Neither fellow played much on the LP. Brian Jones played autoharp on You Got the Silver and added percussion to Midnight Rambler but that was it. Mick Taylor meanwhile played guitar on Live With Me and slide guitar on Country Honk but that too was it.

Let%20It%20Bleed_zpsmca5jiyt.jpg

The LP contained several tracks still regarded as all-time classics:

What's ironic is that back in their early years in 1963-64 the Stones had repeatedly insisted that they were not a rock band but a "rhythm 'n blues" band. Yet beginning with the 1966 release of Aftermath, the Stones had by December of 1969 released five LPs that had stretched the boundaries of rock music. They were of course also billing themselves as the "World's Greatest Rock & Roll Band" by this time.

:juggle:

love your posts... I learn quite a bit from them... (thumbsu didn't know they considered themselves rhythm n blues band.. I always associate them as rock and roll.. 

I always admired the Kenner Presto and Sparkle Paint sets when I was a kid. Whenever I had money enough to buy one though, I'd always opt for a model kit instead. These days though I have a rather nice collection of the Kenner paint sets visible here on the right hand side of the pic below:

DSCN3167_zps6fd28396.jpg

Here are close-up shots of some of the individual sets:

kenner%20dick%20Tracy_zps9xiidyi0.jpg

RockyBullwinklePrestoBox.jpg

RockyBullwinklePresto2.jpg

BatmanPrestoPaints.jpg

BatmanPrestoPaints2.jpg

BatmanSparklePaints.jpg

SupermanSparklePaints.jpg

B|

Edited by Hepcat

38 minutes ago, Hepcat said:

I always admired the Kenner Presto and Sparkle Paint sets when I was a kid. Whenever I had money enough to buy one though, I'd always opt for a model kit instead. These days though I have a rather nice collection of the Kenner paint sets visible here on the right hand side of the pic below:

DSCN3167_zps6fd28396.jpg

Here are close-up shots of some of the individual sets:

kenner%20dick%20Tracy_zps9xiidyi0.jpg

RockyBullwinklePrestoBox.jpg

RockyBullwinklePresto2.jpg

BatmanPrestoPaints.jpg

BatmanPrestoPaints2.jpg

BatmanSparklePaints.jpg

SupermanSparklePaints.jpg

B|

Those are too cool!

Has anyone else been having problems with the Search function on Photobucket in the last few weeks? 

For example when I type "Batman 199" into the Search box, the Photobucket program translates my Search request into gibberish, i.e. "Batman%20199", and my Search fails.

???

On 12/7/2011 at 9:43 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I know the Hepcat is a football fan. I wonder if he indulges in fantasy football. hm

I have been involved, or at least in a league for around 10 years now.

I've been participating in the TSN CFL Fantasy League for the last four years and I'm not afraid to say that I'm really good at it.

At the start of the CFL Fantasy season in June my goal was to finish in the top fifty out of the 16,000+ participants I expected. But when I'd cracked the top forty with six or so weeks to go, I decided that I should be targetting the top ten. Then when I got to #13 with three weeks to go I realized that a finish within the top three was within my grasp! I had by this time noted that my seven weekly picks and those of the other top players had been almost identical for several weeks and it would come down to picking player A rather than B and player C rather than D in the last three weeks. Well I was the one who picked the bums while certain other top participants picked the guy who burned up the stat sheet!

My three sub-par weeks in a row at the end of the season dropped me down from #13 overall to #23 out of 16,488 participants. And most annoying of all was slipping to second or third in specific sub-Leagues (such as One Empire in which I slipped to #2 out of 443 participants) after I'd spent all those weeks climbing the ladder to the top. Arrrggghhhh!!!

While my late season slide knocked me down to second or third in several major sub-Leagues, I still managed to keep my grip on top spot in a number of very large sub-Leagues including these:

2017 CFL Fantasy (39 participants)
Eskimo Empire Podcast (70)
The Angry Birds (180)
The Den (285)
Ticat Fans (318 )
TSN 1040 Vancouver (197)

I know I should be very pleased, but with 2033.1 points I was within 43.4 points of a top five finish! Had I avoided blundering with a couple of picks in any of the final three weeks including last week I could have got it done! But my crystal ball wasn't good enough and I didn't get it done. 

:frustrated:

So I'm still racked with "would of, should of, could of" thoughts. Just goes to show that a fellow is never satisfied. Some say that's a good thing but....

(shrug)

On 12/14/2019 at 11:34 AM, Hepcat said:

Has anyone else been having problems with the Search function on Photobucket in the last few weeks? 

For example when I type "Batman 199" into the Search box, the Photobucket program translates my Search request into gibberish, i.e. "Batman%20199", and my Search fails.

???

I have not seen this in Photobucket, but a while back when copying web addresses my pc would turn any space between letter into the percent 20 thing, so anytime a space appeared anywhere I would get %20 in place of the space. I had to put the web address in the menu bar, then manually delete out each %20 and replace it with a space. I never did find out if it was my pc doing it or the web browser when I pasted the address.

What the hell is wrong with Photobucket now? The Search function stopped working about a month ago and now everything seems to be down.

It's even taking minutes to access the site and even longer for me to log into my account from both my personal computer and the library down the street. I'm in Canada.

This is what I see in my Account Status:

Account Type Plus50 — Get More Storage
18th Dec 2010

Your account is set to recur payments

Yearly — Your next payment is on 12th Feb 2020

Please contact plus@photobucket.com to cancel your subscription
Total Files Uploaded

Storage Used

38.6 GB (51.09%)

75.6 GB Get more!

Bandwidth Used

25.00 MB Go unlimited!

Is the company doing updates or something? Has anybody heard anything?

???

13 minutes ago, Hepcat said:

Evidently it's a problem that's all due to a power outage at Photobucket. Hopefully I'll be back in "business" in a few days.

:smile:

Nothing but issues with them for me.Slowly taking my personal pics to another site,backing up on external hard drive.

I now suspect that Photobucket is trying to meet profitability targets for 2019 by reducing bandwidth expense in December. That's why I'm being denied the bandwidth usage for which I've already paid.

:mad:

Edited by Hepcat

Random House released this Xmas themed Dr. Seuss book in 1957:

It's become an all-time classic and was turned into an animated movie for TV in 1966:

poster-780.jpg

Here's the trailer:

All I can add is "Merry Xmas to one and all!"

9ca91186efd6a6506426669cef89d6f8.jpg

Edited by Hepcat

My first exposure to comics was probably in the comic section of the Saturday London Free Press in the late fifties. My family didn't have a TV yet so print media was very important to us. The first strips to capture my attention were probably the Mickey Mouse strip and the Uncle Remus and His Tales of Brer Rabbit strip. Here are a couple of examples of the latter:

Remus.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bou

Remus_1.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

The strip actually began on 14 October 1945 and ran in various newspapers until 31 December 1972. Paul Murry was the initial penciller on the strip but handled the job only until 14 July 1946 at which point he went to work for Western Printing. He was the artist of record for the first Dell comic mag based on Song of the South and also worked on the General Mills Brer Rabbit premium booklets. Murry was succeeded by Moores on the newspaper strip. By the time I encountered it the strip was being pencilled by Riley Thomson (1951-59), under whom Brer Rabbit acquired a less cutesy and more rascally look evident in the example immediately above. Bill Wright (1959-62), Chuck Fuson (1962) and John Ushler (1962-1972) followed on the strip.

I'm still a fan of the Uncle Remus characters after all these years and I have dozens of copies of the strip in my collection today. I also have several Golden books, records and cassettes devoted to the Tales of Uncle Remus plus these two Brer Rabbit comics:

FourColor208.jpg

FourColor693.jpg

Plus these three General Mills Brer Rabbit premium booklets:

BrerRabbit.jpg

Best of all is this custom stained glass window featuring Brer Fox and Flower from Bambi in the door beside my model cabinet leading from my collectibles room to the upstairs balcony:

StainedGlassWindow.jpg

BrerRabbitstainedglass.jpg

This is the original image on which the stained glass window is based:

brerfox.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

And hanging on the opposite wall from the stained glass window is the original art for the 1972 rerelease of the Song of the South movie poster which I acquired through a Hake's auction about thirteen years ago:

BrerRabbitposter.jpg

Edited by Hepcat

Scream! This posting program is just plain stupid. It gets confused when a poster attempts to post multiple images. You have to feed the images in one at a time like this 21st century computer is no more capable than a circa 1935 parking meter.

:pullhair:

Hmmmmm. I'm pretty good at working around the programming quirks of individual forums but so far my various efforts to work around whatever it is that the CGC posting program hates have met with failure.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat