• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scoring Question Re: TMNT #1-62 set

63 posts in this topic

That would be complicated because you wouldn't want to give everyone a single score - someone who has a completed 9.2 set for example should get the same bonus as someone with a 9.6 set...

I guess I'd give a percentage of the total score bonus - like a 10% increase of the total points for the set in question for completing a set.

Just a thought.

I see the TMNT #1 has now been dropped from 11000 pts to 1200 pts...same score as a 3rd print #1 in 9.8. As an owner of a 9.8 1st print and a 9.8 3rd print I fail to see the similarity between the 2 books. I have no problem with the ranking's change as I feel the top slot has gone to the person who deserves it most but I don't think the book has been given the value it is due. 2c

• Administrator

There seems to be a few glitches associated with updating the scores on this set (that is also affecting other TMNT sets). I'll have to let the programmers check it out so it will be a little while before it is all fixed.

There seems to be a few glitches associated with updating the scores on this set (that is also affecting other TMNT sets). I'll have to let the programmers check it out so it will be a little while before it is all fixed.

Hi Gemma, any idea on how much longer it will be before the scores are fixed?

Thanks!!

• Administrator

So, to be clear, I should raise or lower the score for issue #1 (first printing)? Then, should the rest of the set be adjusted or is just the disparity for issue #1 the problem?

I'm trying to work around the glitch so some scores may be "odd" for a bit...

So, to be clear, I should raise or lower the score for issue #1 (first printing)? Then, should the rest of the set be adjusted or is just the disparity for issue #1 the problem?

Hi Gemma, Thanks for this. The problem was that #1 1st, 2nd and 3rd prints were all 11,000 points. I think you did the right adjustments. Lowering the points on the #1 1st print was also right and by the right amount. It may also be warranted to increase the #1 2nd print points a little to reflect it's earlier release and lower print run over the 3rd print.

Also, should the other printings be added to the Issue #1-4 set?

I was going to ask about this. Personally I would like to see all the Mirage Studios oversized editions included in this set as they all relate to the main series and came out within the same time period.

The editions that could be added are:

#1 2nd Print

#1 3rd Print

#2 2nd Print

#3 New York variant

Raphael 1st Print

Fugitoid

Perhaps the name of the set should also be amended to:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Vol. 1 #1-#4 all oversized editions)

Any input from anyone else?

Thanks very much for taking the time to look at this!

Also, should the other printings be added to the Issue #1-4 set?

I was going to ask about this. Personally I would like to see all the Mirage Studios oversized editions included in this set as they all relate to the main series and came out within the same time period.

The editions that could be added are:

#1 2nd Print

#1 3rd Print

#2 2nd Print

#3 New York variant

Raphael 1st Print

Fugitoid

Perhaps the name of the set should also be amended to:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Vol. 1 #1-#4 all oversized editions)

Any input from anyone else?

Thanks very much for taking the time to look at this!

I very much disagree with this change.

There's already a "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Volume 1)" set which contains all the books mentioned above - please leave the #1-4 set as is.

There's already a "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Volume 1)" set which contains all the books mentioned above - please leave the #1-4 set as is.

The volume 1 set also includes #'s 1-4 so why not change the 1-4 set using your own argument. What's the significance to you of the first 4 issues? Is there a special connection that means these 4 issues should be alone? just wondering...

The oversized editions hold the origin of the company we know as Mirage Studios and their tight printing budget in the beginning.

I'm not sure we need yet another TMNT set so personally thought adding to the 1-4 would be an interesting change. Seeing them all under "slideshow" would be visually appealling.

Does anyone else have a 2c on this?

The volume 1 set also includes #'s 1-4 so why not change the 1-4 set using your own argument. What's the significance to you of the first 4 issues? Is there a special connection that means these 4 issues should be alone? just wondering...

You're missing my point entirely.

I'm fairly certain that the majority of people who collect slabbed TMNT only care about the first 4 issues (most likely just issue #1, actually) and couldn't give a flying fig about the various reprints - so why do you feel the need to change a simple 4-issue set that a lot of people currently compete in? Why should I have to pick up a 3rd print of issue #1 to complete a registry set when another set already exists that includes slots for all your reprints, specials and various other bits & pieces?

Leave the #1-4 set alone, please.

I'm fairly certain that the majority of people who collect slabbed TMNT only care about the first 4 issues (most likely just issue #1, actually) and couldn't give a flying fig about the various reprints - so why do you feel the need to change a simple 4-issue set that a lot of people currently compete in? Why should I have to pick up a 3rd print of issue #1 to complete a registry set when another set already exists that includes slots for all your reprints, specials and various other bits & pieces?

Leave the #1-4 set alone, please.

For what it's worth, I agree with this. First prints of issues 1-4 tend to be the most popular (not necessarily highest priced) books for casual TMNT collectors. Go to any show and see which TMNT issues are on the wall for proof. Adding the various prints would only alienate people.

And you'd have to add the #1 6th print to the list of oversized books as well. :baiting::)

Hi Gemma, Thanks for this. The problem was that #1 1st, 2nd and 3rd prints were all 11,000 points. I think you did the right adjustments. Lowering the points on the #1 1st print was also right and by the right amount. It may also be warranted to increase the #1 2nd print points a little to reflect it's earlier release and lower print run over the 3rd print.

The #1 first print is starting to feel a little closer to a realistic point value. When I started this thread, there were only 2 copies of a #1 first print in 9.8 and the first sale was in the neighborhood of $22,000. Now there are 9 copies in 9.8 and the last sale was roughly $14,000. If a point drop wasn't considered before, perhaps in light of recent sales and census data it should be considered again. However, that's a discussion we could have at a later date.

I realize Gemma mentioned that there will be a few point fluctuations until the glitch is resolved. I just wanted to give my input on the 2nd and 3rd print #1's that deserve a bump in price. The values were overly high thanks to the glitch and it wasn't correct, but they're currently too low.

2nd print sales have drastically increased in price in the last year. There are only 6,000 copies and only 3 copies in 9.8 right now. I don't think anyone would argue that it doesn't deserve more than the 200 or so points it currently gets. In 9.8, this is easily a $1,000+ book. If I had to throw out a rough number, I'd say it'd be worth at least double the points of a #2 1st print. #1 2nd print should be at least a 1,000 point book in 9.8.

3rd print sales have also increased and as the book still looks very similar in size and design to a first print, it's still highly collectible. I'd likely put it on par with a #2 1st print point-wise, making a #1 3rd print a 500 point book in 9.8.

Thoughts?