• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is considered High Grade?

168 posts in this topic

Let's say for instance HG is 9.2 and above for books 35yrs+ but if the census has the highest grade at 9.6 would 9.0 be considered HG if there are only a certain number of copies above 9.0? If there was a 9.9 or 9.8 on the census and a pretty good number of copies 9.2 and above then 9.4 and above be considered HG? At what point would you consider a copy HG.

I don't know, but I know what I like. I'm glad CGC has focused the HG crowd on the uber-grades, as there are a lot of books where 8.0 to 9.4 is just peachy-keen for me. I don't need a better copy.

I don't know, but I know what I like. I'm glad CGC has focused the HG crowd on the uber-grades, as there are a lot of books where 8.0 to 9.4 is just peachy-keen for me. I don't need a better copy.

Amen to that brother. :applause:

Let's say for instance HG is 9.2 and above for books 35yrs+ but if the census has the highest grade at 9.6 would 9.0 be considered HG if there are only a certain number of copies above 9.0? If there was a 9.9 or 9.8 on the census and a pretty good number of copies 9.2 and above then 9.4 and above be considered HG? At what point would you consider a copy HG.

Get ready for a bunch of boardies in the morning posting you many links to this huge debate about this that has been going on in many threads over the past year. lol

:gossip: but don't let them fool you an ASM 300 in VF/NM is not HG. :devil:

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

Get ready for a bunch of boardies in the morning posting you many links to this huge debate about this that has been going on in many threads over the past year. lol

:gossip: but don't let them fool you an ASM 300 in VF/NM is not HG. :ohnoez:

So a book is only considered high grade if it is rare in high grade?

Or a book is high grade because a book exhibits high grade qualities?

meh

John is right, it was discussed here in detail.

As far as I am concerned, whether it is a mickey mouse golden age book or a modern from last week, if the book exhibits high grade characteristics, and structurally grades VF or up, it's considered a high grade book by me.

Rarity has nothing to do with the grade, the way the book is graded or whether it is high grade or not.

If a book is rare in high grade, it may be considered "high grade for that copy" (qualified) but not necessarily high grade.

Pretty simple in my books.

When most dealers sell you a book, it's high grade. When you try to sell back the same book, it isn't.

Learn this and you won't be disappointed.

:lol:

Its like buying a new car and driving it off the lot, your back tire hits the street, its now a used car.

:gossip: but don't let them fool you an ASM 300 in VF/NM is not HG. :ohnoez:

So a book is only considered high grade if it is rare in high grade?

Or a book is high grade because a book exhibits high grade qualities?

meh

John is right, it was discussed here in detail.

As far as I am concerned, whether it is a mickey mouse golden age book or a modern from last week, if the book exhibits high grade characteristics, and structurally grades VF or up, it's considered a high grade book by me.

Rarity has nothing to do with the grade, the way the book is graded or whether it is high grade or not.

If a book is rare in high grade, it may be considered "high grade for that copy" (qualified) but not necessarily high grade.

Pretty simple in my books.

My real answer can be found by using the search bottom. :whistle:

I am looking at this from a Census standpoint, many boardies have their opinion as what is HG, but a 9.2 modern is not HG or maybe even copper age and late bronze, but if a book is hard to find in HG based on the book itself would you then adjust to what the highest grade for that book. 9.6-9.0, 9.8-9.2 or based on the number of copies exists 9.0 and above for Bronze age and older book.

If a Ming Dynasty vase is the only one of its kind and has a broken off handle, its rarity does not redefine the definition of a complete vase. It may have a value that exceeds a complete vase of a different era, but a vase is a vase.

I am looking at this from a Census standpoint, many boardies have their opinion as what is HG, but a 9.2 modern is not HG or maybe even copper age and late bronze, but if a book is hard to find in HG based on the book itself would you then adjust to what the highest grade for that book. 9.6-9.0, 9.8-9.2 or based on the number of copies exists 9.0 and above for Bronze age and older book.

You will find out that a lot of comic collectors will describe HG as a very cut/dry definition. Meaning HG would start at VF no matter the age or how abundant the book is. VF is HG no matter if the book is a Spawn #1 or an Action Comics #1. So if you present someone with Spawn #1 in 8.5 condition the book is considered HG by the commonly accepted comics principles of the OSPG.

You know the OSPG that from 1975-present is very much dead on which their market valuations. :eyeroll:

I call that the old school model. zzz

I am of the opinion of new school thinking of what HG is partly because of CGC and population in the census of the books. :idea:

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

It may have a value that exceeds a complete vase of a different era, but a vase is a vase.

That's like saying a 7.5 is a 7.5 and can never be a 9.4.

Which is wrong.

If a book in 6.0 grade is the highest grade for that particular book,does that mean that that is a high grade book? No

Grade is not contingent upon rarity and are two separate entities. doh!

Here we go again!