• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Halloweenized Classic Comic Cover recreations
3 3

988 posts in this topic

I am not trying to insult or disrespect anyone. I apologize if i come off like that, i just dont't know what determines the value of a piece of artwork.

Can someone give me a rundown of what factors make a piece more expensive or desirable, besides the obvious awesomeness of the art?

I just wanted to know if someone who worked for marvel would be able to sell their art for more than someone who is sick at artwork but has never worked on anything in the industry.

Just trying to get a basic knowledge of the original artwork realm before i delve in.

Thanks for any answers!

I am not trying to insult or disrespect anyone.

well that's good to hear. Just so you're aware, an artist's commission thread (or in fact any marketplace thread) is really not the place to ask, especially when you are implying you will only buy his stuff if he is a big name lol

I can see how you might make that mistake, but I think its fair to say that its disrespectful to imply that the artists work isn't worth consideration if he isn't a big name, and the same is true of clouding someone's 'for sale' (or in this case ' for hire ' ) thread with questions that don't relate to the topic of the thread.

Anyways. Your questions about what factors drive value are very fair and they are questions we all grapple with when starting to buy art.

There have been many discussions on this topic before, so you might try the search function, or if that bears no immediate fruit you could start a thread asking for pointers in the general art section (not the marketplace).

Probably the primary factor is the particular market for the specific artist, but there is an almost endless amount of variables including but not limited to:

- whether the piece is published or not published

- quality of the image(s)

- whether its a panel page, a splash, a cover, or what

- the size of the piece

- the prominence of the piece in the particular artist's oeuvre

- if there is more than one artist (penciller/inker say) how well that particular team is regarded - sometimes the whole is more or less than the sum of the parts

- the scarcity of such art on the market (ie is it all out there, or was it destroyed, or perhaps it exists but its closely held?)

Searching through the ha.com archives to see what past pieces have sold for is a good starting point.

You'll slowly start to pick up on some of the above and eventually it will become second nature. Good luck.

No i am not implying j will only buy from big names, i just was not sure if independent artists were held in as high a regard in the original art world.

Also am not saying it is not worth consideration.

I make it a point to get at least one piece of art from every artist i meet!

Thanks so much for the info BRONTY. I really appreciate it

Who ever started this thread, sorry if i misposted here. FREE BUMP?!? lol

I will ask my local comic book shop owners for more info, they should be able to break it down for me.

For the record, i spent 3K on original artwork just this weekend to start my collection :)

Edited by HusTrucK

For the record, i spent 3K on original artwork just this weekend to start my collection :)

Do yourself a favor and slow down. I mean no disrespect but you should be past the point of the basic questions like this if you are starting to spend money. Its pretty easy to make a 3 or 5 or 10k+ mistake if you're not paying attention.

I will ask my local comic book shop owners for more info, they should be able to break it down for me.

Don't forget to do this. I have found a lot of local comic book store owners to be a real wellspring of information about the interstices of the OA market.

Don't forget to do this. I have found a lot of local comic book store owners to be a real wellspring of information about the interstices of the OA market.

Thanks for the advice and concern SEAN.

I have arranged a private audience with my local shop owner.

Mine is still the best one. :whee:

Sorry, that would be mine. (HOM 174). :whee:

[font:Comic Sans MS]You guys are both right. Your's are the TWO BEST!

(after mine of course)[/font]

ooaw112100.jpg