• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will Gemstone ever complete publishing the EC Archives?

52 posts in this topic

I think Michael was hinting that someone has picked up the license to continue the Archives in the manner that Russ Cochran produced them. At least I hope so. :wishluck:

I think Michael was hinting that someone has picked up the license to continue the Archives in the manner that Russ Cochran produced them. At least I hope so. :wishluck:
Yes, that's what I get from the thread too. earlier posts had already mentioned the Fantagraphics Artist's Editions and IDW.

Michael seems to be implying more news related to the EC Archives. His posts appear to be in response to those who want to see the Archives run completed.

I could be wrong, but that's how the thread reads to me.

What a relief when I read about it today. :applause::applause:

This excellent reprint program deserves to be completed.

Here is the press release from GC Press LLC

GC PRESS, LLC press release 9/1/11

For immediate release:

First-generation EC Comics fan Russ Cochran and second-generation EC Comics aficionado Grant Geissman have established a boutique imprint called GC Press, LLC. The imprint is dedicated to the high-quality preservation of the 1950s EC Comics—in book form, and presenting complete issues, the way EC originally intended! The EC comic books have long since become legendary for their extraordinarily high level of both writing and artwork. Originally regarded as mere ephemera, mint copies of the original 1950s issues can now command thousands of dollars. GC Press, LLC is devoted to keeping these classic comic books, as well as other fine EC-related products, in print for this—and future—generations to enjoy.

First up from the imprint is a continuation of the EC Archives series (which was originally published by Gemstone.) The first books to appear will be The Haunt of Fear Vol. 1 (containing the first six issues of that title, with a Foreword by Robert Englund and historical notes by Grant Geissman), and The Vault of Horror Vol. 2 (containing issues 7-12, with a Foreword by John Landis and historical notes by Bhob Stewart). The stories have been digitally re-colored based on the original 1950s Marie Severin colorings, but the new digital coloring allows subtleties of tone and shading that was not possible on the cheaply-printed original comics. All of the cover reproductions are taken from the original 1950s comics, using the finest copies available—including Gaines File Copies. The full-color, hardcover books (in colorful, illustrated dust jackets) will be solicited in the September issue of Diamond’s Previews, and will ship to stores in November. Retail price on each volume is $49.95.

Russ Cochran bought EC comic books right off the newsstands in the 1950s, and was an original member of the EC Fan-Addict Club. Over the past forty years, Cochran has published an important array of high-quality EC reprint publications, beginning in 1971 with the EC Portfolios. Spanning a period of many years, he published a black and white series of EC reprints (with the covers in color) entitled The Complete EC Library, which is widely credited with exposing the EC comics to younger generations, including a number of Hollywood filmmakers. Cochran is also a lifetime guitar picker, and has published books about his guitar idols, including Les Paul and Chet Atkins.

Grant Geissman began reading MAD magazine (which was also published by EC) in 1961 at the age of eight, and began collecting EC material around 1965 when he discovered the short series of EC reprints published by Ballantine Books in paperback book form. He is the author of Collectibly MAD/The MAD and EC Collectibles Guide (1995), Tales of Terror! The EC Companion (with Fred von Bernewitz, 2000), and Foul Play! The Art and Artists of the Notorious 1950s EC Comics! (2005). Geissman is also a jazz guitarist with fourteen solo albums to his credit, and he currently co-writes the music to the CBS-TV sitcoms Two and a Half Men and Mike & Molly.

vault2.jpg

haunt1.jpg

I asked Gemstone when they started the Archives if they planned to do the western, romance, etc. stuff at some point. Then, they said there were not plans. Hopefully, they can produce those reprints this time around.

If anybody gets the ISBN numbers for the new GC Press, LLC Archives , please don't be shy to share (thumbs u

None of the larger European Mail order booksellers (the ones that can offer me free shipping) seem to have them in pre-order as of yet.

Pre-ordered at DCBS :banana:

AND the third volume of the Mad Archives $$$ but happy to see it come out as well. Though pre-orders for the November Previews with a ship date of March 2012 is a little :screwy:

I'll have to wait until one of the European Amazons have them for pre-order, as of yet, they can't be pre-ordered :(