Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
11 11

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:   2 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12,808 posts in this topic

OK, you asked for it. Anything to do with bronze horror, let's talk about it here. This is my favorite genre and my favorite age as well.

So, to start things off with a poll: I know I left out other Publishers, but I figured the majority of us here are in either the DC or Marvel camps.

CHOOSE 4 OF YOUR FAVORITE BRONZE HORROR TITLES BELOW!

Where do I click for Arrgh? smirk.gif

Jim

Four???? That was really tough. Of course, the two House books are my favorites. I also love Witching Hour. Tales of the Unexpected is also great, and I really love the Mike Ploog artwork on WBN. Those covers, especially in really high grade are gorgeous, and not that hard to find. Weird War Tales is great also. I think #2 and 3 are harder to find in HG than #1. I saw four #1's at a mini-con this weekend. They were all in the 9.0 range though. I've seen quite a few Dark Mansion #1s for sale, but I haven't gotten one yet. There seems to be too many other things to get first. I've got a few Frankenstein books (again Ploog covers) and those books are cool. Of course, there's Tomb of Dracula. Just haven't gotten into that one yet (I do have a #10 though, probably like everyone else). I heard that it is a great book. I just don't believe that Marvel can compare to those great DC horror books though. Way to go, Sterling!!! I'm anxious to see this thread continue. How about posting some more covers of some of those great horror books you have? I'm going to post some of mine that haven't been disscused yet, but most of mine are a little more on the common side and most of them are not slabbed. In fact, I'll start it off with the ONLY slabbed horror book that I have (pardon the "half scan", as my scanner will only do 8 1/2 x 11). This is a great looking Wrightson cover though...

451473-HOM193.jpg451473-HOM193.jpg

451473-HOM193.jpg.9f8bd3bd43e38e5b3937079b7aafb507.jpg

Edited by rahigh

Hello Richard, Welcome to another spine tingling thread I call, "Infinite Bronze Horror Thread". I have several hosts with me, which are your favorite?

Here's a trivia question (and actually I forgot the answer but I have to look it up): What was the name of the host of the Ghosts series later in the run? He wore a hat and his glasses were a touch of class.

foreheadslap.gif D'Oh! I coulda voted for 4?! I'm still not up to speed on the new feature that allows multiple votes-- it's a great enhancement, I'm just slow to catch on. You might want to edit the thread title to highlight the Choose 4 option.

For those who collect/like the Ghosts series: Are you voting for it based on the covers alone, or are there memorable stories in it as well? The few I sampled seemed second or third tier DC, about what I'd expect from Murray Boltinoff's shop. Contrast that with the Giordano stable (early House of Secrets, Witching Hour) or Joe Orlando's (HoM, latter-day HoS, Witching Hour, etc. etc.) I'm aware of a Wally Wood story in Ghosts #2 and a Mike Golden story somewhere around the #80s. What else am I missing? confused-smiley-013.gif

Voting out of love for it all: covers, artists, stories, etc. Personally, HOM was the best overall (as indicated by its long run) mystery book for me, and as indicated in the polls. HOS was more like a roller coaster, while stories in Ghosts were somewhat reptitive. In addition to LD / Cardy covers, I also liked Cruz art, which was popular during the Bronze.

Did you pick up anything at the ComicCon this past weekend? How many vendors were there? Who?

Yes. I went to the con this weekend. Picked up three books: Tec #400, 410 and Batman #242. All three were pretty nice books (see WTF). As I mentioned in "WTF", no one brought any nice Bronze horror. I really didn't go looking for Bat stuff, but these were hard to past on, so... The usual dealers were there David Shankle, Shelton, Dave, etc, all with the same books. Chris Foss (Heroes and Dragons), however, had the best books and a great variety of nice stuff (no horror). I bought the Bats from him.

By the way, I guess my favorite host is...

451591-HPG.jpg

451591-HPG.jpg.a03648345e19f3d798d705d3ef1d4af8.jpg

Tomb of Drac for my money..thrilling stuff...

Pick 4? Pick 4!

It really needs to be "Pick all BUT 4" that are favorites!

893naughty-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

bravo to sterling for the thread! i have guests for a week so my online time is limited, but i will quick response now, more to come!

HOM rules, plain & simple, best covers, writers & artists. When Fleisher hit the title things got dirty like they hadn't since 1954. Oleck is also a much better writer than Kanigher in my opinion & he did the most for HOM. In my opinion #186 is the most solid issue of the run cover to cover and #207 is prob. 2nd.

As for ghosts, i do like the title now, i never used to though. There are some really good issues, and some boring ones. #46 has an incredible heart ripped out story for example.

HOS has great moments, especially #131 with Fleisher & Suydam turning in a knock out creeping flesh story right out of a fevered nightmare.

Witching hour is also solid, especially early on. I also picked unexpected, but the last choice was tough between that & weird war.

TOD is my favorite from the list, a consistently great read with some really atmospheric artwork.

I must admit though that I haven't read any of the DC horror books so they were out of the running. blush.gif

tomb of dracula is good too, its my fave marvel. i am enjoying it again reading the beginning straight through with the essential. I hope they keep going with them!

!!!! How can HOS be beating HOM????893whatthe.gif

893frustrated.gif

Shills I tell ya! Shills! 27_laughing.gif

D.C. for horror, Marvel for monsters!

Loved all the HOM, HOS books, even the "Dial H for hero" issues "Sockamagee!".grin.gif Really liked Witching Hour also!

On the Marvel side I couldn't get enough of those Kirbyesque monsters! But I have to say Werewolf by Night was my fave! Ploog art and interesting storylines. I remember one story arc that seemed to be based on the movie "The Legend of Hell House". Oh and let's not forget the Man-Thing...