• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANDOM
3 3

504 posts in this topic

Professor Kenneth Smith, whose cover art graced legendary mags Creepy & Eerie during the years Warren Publications commandeered the illustrated horror market in the 60's & 70's.

Alas, when I took this photo Kenneth must've been pondering the meaning of life as compared with the length of an OAF-con day...

d1ae2e0d-1ed3-4d71-863e-832e3fdb0abb_zps

Edited by Cat-Man_America

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 6:49 PM, Ameri said:

Seems like a good a place as any to throw in my RBCC issues. I subscribed from the late 60's through late 70's and they're great but also disappointing when the occasional Action 1 ad for $200 pop up>:(

XXweird%20items%20RBCC_zpsniypcsrs.jpg

Awesome !! :applause:

I am so sorry I missed OAFCON this year.  I have going since the 70s and only missed a few.  I had every intention of going and seeing all the usuals and more often than not buy something since it is a great venue for GA books.  Last year, I picked up a nice book from Bud Plant.  

Unfortunately my health kept me down and I was unable to make the 30 minute trip south to Norman.  So Cat, thanks for posting and sharing.  I always love looking through your high-end books and love the way you have the covers copied in the binders.  One year, several of us visited about some the Timelys you had and salivated - sorry for the drool on the binder lol 

And it always great to see Richard who brings a ton of great material.  Eric Groves and his wife are wonderful and the usual throng gathers right when he sets up to see what rarities he has added.  He is an attorney when not playing superhero vendor and I have bought several cool books from him.  

And as always hats off to Bart Bush whom I have known since the early 80s when I went to college at OU and would visit his shop multiple times a week.  I still have the Mile High Cat-Man #13 that I bought from him and wished I could have afforded the entire run as he had them.  Goodness for a crystal ball and of course more cash but a struggling college student can only afford so much.  Bart has been the driver of the con and you gotta love his shirts :smile:

On 10/29/2017 at 3:10 AM, telerites said:

I am so sorry I missed OAFCON this year.  I have going since the 70s and only missed a few.  I had every intention of going and seeing all the usuals and more often than not buy something since it is a great venue for GA books.  Last year, I picked up a nice book from Bud Plant.  

Unfortunately my health kept me down and I was unable to make the 30 minute trip south to Norman.  So Cat, thanks for posting and sharing.  I always love looking through your high-end books and love the way you have the covers copied in the binders.  One year, several of us visited about some the Timelys you had and salivated - sorry for the drool on the binder lol 

And it always great to see Richard who brings a ton of great material.  Eric Groves and his wife are wonderful and the usual throng gathers right when he sets up to see what rarities he has added.  He is an attorney when not playing superhero vendor and I have bought several cool books from him.  

And as always hats off to Bart Bush whom I have known since the early 80s when I went to college at OU and would visit his shop multiple times a week.  I still have the Mile High Cat-Man #13 that I bought from him and wished I could have afforded the entire run as he had them.  Goodness for a crystal ball and of course more cash but a struggling college student can only afford so much.  Bart has been the driver of the con and you gotta love his shirts :smile:

Metropolis Comics on Hal Muldrow Drive. I thought it was really creepy the first time I went in there and the lights were turned down, but Bart's so friendly you get past that quick. :) 

Edited by fett

Started going through this old thread around 4th of July and just finally made it to the end.  Well spent hours...very enjoyable.  Almost makes me wish for an industry purge that would return fandom back towards the cozy and intimate level that it started off at.   I hope all of you that posted in this thread are still healthy and still active in the hobby.  I found it interesting that California, Texas and New York are well represented by fandom in the thread, but Florida is noticeably absent.  Making it all the more intriguing that Florida would one day become the home of arguably the largest paradigm shift in the history of comic collecting...the third-party grading system.    

On 7/16/2023 at 10:42 AM, Nick Furious said:

Started going through this old thread around 4th of July and just finally made it to the end.  Well spent hours...very enjoyable.  Almost makes me wish for an industry purge that would return fandom back towards the cozy and intimate level that it started off at.   I hope all of you that posted in this thread are still healthy and still active in the hobby.  I found it interesting that California, Texas and New York are well represented by fandom in the thread, but Florida is noticeably absent.  Making it all the more intriguing that Florida would one day become the home of arguably the largest paradigm shift in the history of comic collecting...the third-party grading system.    

Thanks for "treasurecting" this old thread. There are still Oklahoma based OAFcons (held in memory of the late Bart Bush) and Heritage hosts a one day get together in Dallas, Texas that's RSVP, there are also many SF cons that I've been involved with with a bit less emphasis on the comic collecting community.

I dined with Buddy Saunders, Bob Wayne, Bruce Shults, Paul McSpadden and several other friends in then Texas fan community (at El Fenix in Arlington) just last week. Alas, no photos were taken of this event that I'm aware of (at least no one has contacted me asking for money not to post 'em), but there might be some daguerrotypes originating from a get together next month as it'll be an August occasion.

Here's a photo I've posted before, perhaps elsewhere, relaxing with a fine brew at Downtown Johnny Brown's (a nice San Diego pub & restaurant that's sadly closed) while attending SDCC some years ago...

9773400A-7B78-43F3-9677-F69E7D279E8C_zpsbvu5btvw.thumb.jpeg.02f6917cd5c73702976b507528fdf3fa.jpeg

In any event, I invite others to hop back into the ol' Wayback Machine & contribute their fandom memories as well.

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Ale added!

On 7/16/2023 at 8:42 AM, Nick Furious said:

I think comic fandom was bigger in areas with bigger populations. Pre-internet, it was harder to connect with groups of like minded folks. There were also a lot more available vintage comics in areas with more people. 

On 7/17/2023 at 7:34 AM, Robot Man said:

I think comic fandom was bigger in areas with bigger populations. Pre-internet, it was harder to connect with groups of like minded folks. There were also a lot more available vintage comics in areas with more people. 

I will second that...especially early 70's