• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANDOM
3 3

504 posts in this topic

Did you know Wilt Conine?

In answer to your second question, yes. I've known Wilt since 1969. I traveled with him to at least one of HoustonCons in the early 70's where I recall him buying a copy of Action #1. He attended one of the OAF reunions three or four years ago and as far as I know he's still around and doing well, but I haven't seen him since.

And yes, the self portrait of Dorian Grey is hanging in my closet. :preach:lol

Wilt was a HS teacher, although not mine nor did I attend his school; but a friend of mine did. I remember going to Wilt's house. I was probably in 9th or 10th grade so around 1978 or so (I know it was before I had a driver's license as my mom would drop me off there).

He took me to his garage where I had never seen so many boxes of books. It wan't too orderly which made it even more exciting. I spent hours there on different visits. I bought the book below from him and still have it.

I remember mispronouncing his last name and calling him Mr. "Conan" - his name is pronounced Conine (like Co and the number 9). He politely corrected me but I thought Conan sounded pretty cool for Wilt - especially with his beard and all.

He also told me about Alan Light's Buyer's Guide which I subscribed to. Some few years ago, I got rid of all those issues. Just didn't have any room for them and I kick myself for that all the time. I had been a subscriber since the late 70s.

2387670310102488065S600x600Q85.jpg

lol Mr. "Conan" is much closer than you think; as I recall he was a high school wrestling coach back when I knew him. I probably handled that very book as most of the OAF members had the fortune of looking through his Timely collection when club meetings were held at his home.

I'm going to test how good my memory is now. hm

My recollection is that he lived on NW 80th Street in OKC, at least back in the late 60's and early 70's; if that's right then I remember his house number as well, but I won't post it since as far as I know he and/or other members of his family still reside there.

He either lived in Nichols Hills (the older part as there are some extravagant homes in that area and he wasn't in one of them) or the Village neighborhood. It could have been off of 80th and May Ave. or Penn. Ave. So that may very well be correct. I know that area because it was close to where I grew up and still where my parents live.

Thanks for letting me relive some very good memories. (thumbs u

Here are a couple of rare fanzine images from my friend Bob Wayne's Tales from Texas (cover by Lewis Shiner):

TalesFromTexas7_cover.jpg

... including a page of art that I produced with a bit of "stipulation" provided by my then significant other Kathy Harper when the Rapidograph dots got to be too much for me...

TalesFromTexas7_catart.jpg

Yes, I was very into Lev Gleason's Daredevil back then, even creating characters that were inspired by Cole's iconic versions (left side of page). Note: The actual character strip that I'd intended for Bob's zine never made it to print as Tales from Texas ceased publication before it's completion. :sorry:

Oklahoma Alliance of Fans history on parade! :grin:

Cover of the Multicon '72 convention program (Okla. City; Don Maris & Eric Groves chaired)...

Multicon72_cover.jpg

This was the year that the Carl Bark's painting "Sheriff of Bullet Valley" was given away in a door prize drawing. Luck of the draw, that Barks painting was won by a fellow USAO college art student, Robby McMurtry (see link below). (thumbs u

http://www.robbymcmurtry.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=92&Itemid=173

Edited by DavidMerryweather

The Oklahoma Alliance of Fandom Wintercon '76 follow-up...

cover:

OAFwintercon_1.jpg

The cover art attribution is sketchy (no pun intended), but my guess would be George Evens since the work looks professional and he was the guest artist at Wintercon '76.

OAFwintercon_int1.jpg

1st photo: Roger Nelson, toy dealer.

2nd photo: Guests Spanky McFarland and George Evens

OAFwintercon_int2.jpg

Top left photo: Wilt Conine, and in the right-hand background Rick Payne, and lots of happy conventioneers.

Center left photo: Spanky McFarland just after his guest speech shaking hands with Robert A. Brown

Bottom left photo: comic dealer Randall Hawkins, far right; others unidentified

Top right photo: Charles Breakfield, Herb Dolf and "Manny" Sequin (sp?) displaying a comic that they're excited about.

Bottom right photo: Guy in the middle background was noted as being Jerry Hoffman; the dealer and fan in foreground are currently unidentified.

More photos from the OAF Wintercon '76 report will follow later as I organize the available information. As always, if anyone recognizes someone that has been overlooked, please share the infol

Great stuff! :applause: I recall that I was a student at the Royal College of Art in London in '76 and there was only one comic shop in Central London. It was called "Dark they were and golden eyed". There were no comic marts or conventions that I was aware of, Golden age were unheard of and even silver age comics were pretty hard to come by. Ah, if only!

Was that Roger Nelson of New Orleans? He looks kind of tall in that photo, but the face looks about right.

Very likely, because in some background notes it mentioned that he had come some distance to attend Wintercon (his last visit to an Oklahoma con was apparently Multicon '70).

cover:

OAFwintercon_1.jpg

The cover art attribution is sketchy (no pun intended), but my guess would be George Evens since the work looks professional and he was the guest artist at Wintercon '76.

OAFwintercon_int1.jpg

1st photo: Roger Nelson, toy dealer.

2nd photo: Guests Spanky McFarland and George Evens

OAFwintercon_int2.jpg

Top right photo: Charles Breakfield, Herb Dolf and "Manny" Sequin (sp?) displaying a comic that they're excited about.

Bottom right photo: Guy in the middle background was noted as being Jerry Hoffman; the dealer and fan in foreground are currently unidentified.

Wow, Manny Seguin (with a g). I haven't thought about that guy in forever. He used to have a shop called Starbase One in San Antonio. His day job was as a cop, which is why he never put his phone number in his TBG ads. He ended up with really bad diabetes and died around 16+ years ago (I think--not exactly sure of the timeline). Great guy, though he did make some really cheesy early attempts at restoring comics.

Wow, Manny Seguin (with a g). I haven't thought about that guy in forever. He used to have a shop called Starbase One in San Antonio. His day job was as a cop, which is why he never put his phone number in his TBG ads. He ended up with really bad diabetes and died around 16+ years ago (I think--not exactly sure of the timeline). Great guy, though he did make some really cheesy early attempts at restoring comics.

Simply amazing what you can learn around these parts! A comic-restoring policeman - you couldnt make this stuff up!

Fascinating photos.

I have to tell you, I just finished watching a DVD of Bucket List, knowing that I will never see the Himilayas or the Taj Mahal. I think the filmakers wanted me to be a bit envious of that while feeling more complete knowing that I have had a good meal with my loving family.

Well, after seeing your photos I know I don't need to motorcycle along the Great Wall of China of sit on top of a pyramid.

Though Texas is not my neighbourhood, I have met some of the people you have met and a few others as well. I have talked to them, and even had a bit of fun with them. In my own small way, I have lived the life of the Jack Nicholson character-- in a subculture I really care about.

Thanks for sharing the old photos.

OAFwintercon_1.jpg

That would make sense since the cover is kind of a parody of books like Aces High.

Simply amazing what you can learn around these parts! A comic-restoring policeman - you couldnt make this stuff up!

When I lived in Germany during high school, I sent a friend back in SA $20 for A Kamandi 1, a Conan 1 and a Green Lantern 1. The Green Lantern 1 had some odd, sloppy restoration which I found out years later had been done by him. (It also turned out the comic had been stolen from him.) :odoh! Edited by Weird Paper

Was that Roger Nelson of New Orleans? He looks kind of tall in that photo, but the face looks about right.

Very likely, because it was mentioned that he had come some distance to attend Wintercon (his last visit to and Oklahoma con was Multicon '70 apparently).

Very cool. Roger was the owner of the oldest comic and toy shop in New Orleans. He had a great location in the French Quarter on Decatur street. Always loved going in there to gaze at the GA comics he had hanging on the wall. Lusted after the Marvel 1 with no back cover for the longest time.

Over the years, I bought many great books from Roger, and eventually Gary Dolgoff and I bought his entire inventory when he retired and closed the store. Was a bittersweet moment to be sure.

Great stories; I should probably add that this publication was originally put together by the Oklahoma Alliance of Fandom, a non-profit organization, paid for by member subscriptions and at this time under the editorship of Robert A. Brown and Ed Baldwin. Attributions are provided where known.

MOAR photos???

OK, here is the next section and known identities (please feel free to fill in any blanks or correct misspellings, where known: I'm working from recollections and incomplete notes provided by the compilers)...

OAFwintercon_int3.jpg

Top left photo: Nancy Trevino (couple to the right are unknown, but my notes read "Wally Wood" and friend; possibly a nickname or an in-joke by the folks who put this together, ...but not one of mine).

Bottom left photo: Mike Templin selling prints, comics and rare SF books; on the far left can be spotted Jim Behnke and hat.

Top right photo: Joe Bob Williams in action! Joe Bob was part of the group that tried to put together the failed Dallas World SF Con bid in the early 70's.

Middle photo: Supposedly this is Wilt Conine selling (all others unidentified), but unless he shed a few pounds between the earlier photo and this one, I think the attribution notes may be in error.

Bottom right photo: Jim Behnke thrilling his customers with an epic tale from his last jungle adventure, ...as he closes in for the kill.

The next series I dread (yes, I'm among the unsuspecting victims of con paparazzi); just remember, it was 1976 and plaid trousers were apparently "in" (lame excuse #1).

OAFwintercon_int6.jpg

Top left far photo: Robert A. Brown and George Evans solving the world's problems one deal at a time. Notice the lethal looking weapon in George Evans' hand.

Top left near photo: Ron Frantz, making his mark in the reel world while playing follow the leader; he projected quite an image in those days, usually at the other end of the room.

Bottom left: (shudder) Yes, that's me in the plaid pants. In retrospect, the plaid worked much better on pulp dealer Randal Hawkins shirt than as trouser fabric. :cry: I'm not sure who the kid is trying to crowd in for a closer look at the mannup books, ...Mitchell Mehdy maybe? (shrug)

Top right photo: Chris Turner from Tulsa selling something to Roger Hill (EC fan artist/collector); Roger made it possible for the convention to land George Evans as a guest.

Middle photo: Ed Baldwin's daughter Cindy and Deana Padgett working the Registration desk. (photo attribution: Alan Wise)

Bottom right photo: Fan/dealer John Wooley (just out of the Navy) contemplating his future pulp/mystery novel career while doing something folks can no longer do at cons. No, ...not THAT (dirty minds (tsk) )... but there is something about smoking while wearing a Disneyland shirt that is WRONG on many levels! BTW, notice the early attempt at pressing books on the left side of the photo. :o