• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 4, Care to Grade?

38 posts in this topic

Here's a book I picked up a while ago that I didn't even realized I owned. It's SUPPOSEDLY the Oakland Avengers 4 G.R.

What grade do you think? The cover is actually that off-white to cream cover..the corners are all razor sharp. There is a tiny tiny impact mark at the top of the cover to the right of Giant Man's face. Back cover is without a doubt..flawless..

Avengers4.jpg

That's a line in the bag. The impact mark is the tiny shadowy looking mark.

I don't know how I missed this but I did find out I have some more ASM books, and some other misc stuff. Guess I should consolidate my collection into one house frown.gif

Brian

At least VF/NM 9.0, but based on the scan, in which I don't see any flaws, I'll go with a 9.4 because I personally don't grade ANY of my books above a 9.4, I might grade a book 9.4+ if it appears that it could be higher. That is a very nice book, any collector posting here would be proud to own a key Silver book like that. The scan above begs the question why is your high grade Avengers 4 NOT in a CGC slab? blush.gif Surely you can afford the Avengers Masterworks volume that reprints the issue! tongue.gif Or is this a before and after situaton? grin.gif

P.S. - I thought you were only interested in Spider-Man and Captain America books? laugh.gif

I am only interested in Cap and Spiderman books..that's the first silver age appearance of Captain America tongue.gif

I doubt I'll send it in though as it's painfully obvious the book is spectacular..and I can't prove it's an Oakland copy but I'm pretty sure it is.

Brian

"P.S. - I thought you were only interested in Spider-Man and Captain America books?"

Well, if anything this is THE Cap book. blush.gif

Personally I'd say 9.2..........or 9.0 on a crappy day. tongue.gif

I am only interested in Cap and Spiderman books..that's the first silver age appearance of Captain America

Just giving you a hard time! hehe laugh.gif

I can't prove it's an Oakland copy but I'm pretty sure it is.

Why are you sure? What makes an Oakland copy an Oakland copy?

Well it's one of the most structurally solid books I've ever seen. And the guy who sold it to me told me 100 percent it's an Oakland as he bought it through some dealer who bought it from..was it Metropolis that discovered the collection? Well whoever..anyways, I contacted the dealer that discovered it and they couldn't say whether it was or it wasn't b/c they didn't have a list of the books in the collection frown.gif

Brian

Man Murph, wish I had enough cool books to forget I owned that ish in condition like that! tongue.gif

But, more power to you - and GREAT book. grin.gif

You might zap off an email to the powers that be at CGC to see if they could somehow authenticate for you its pedigree status. Never know until you ask. Either way you've got a winner.

I've submitted several Oaklands, and included the original Mylar with them with the Oakland label as evidence. I doubt you're ever going to be able to verify this one though, unless you can backtrack to the original owner and find the label. I have a list that Vinnie sent me of many of the Oakland books, but I don't recall ANY early key/silver in there. Unfortunately, the file is at work and I won't be able to check until monday, but I did send the file out to several board members.

Do you have the record?