• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips for filling in a partially filled comic box

28 posts in this topic

I find that empty shoe boxes work great -- most are just about the right size and lightweight. No sense in using heavy filler materials!

If they're a little on the small side, then put a few backing boards between the box and the comics.

Best idea I've heard. smile.gif Simple, lightweight.

Great post.

I think I have tried them all that were listed above.

Bubble wrap I agree , it is very handy, but does it harm them? not worth the risk

Shoe Boxes, yup used those too, but found they always left a little to much space, or were to tight to fit in, depending on amount of space needed to be filled up.

Cardboard, same thing, I would make little cushions, but found these had to be adjusted every time I added, or took out comics from box.

Gravity, or leaning the box backwards works just great, till you move the box, and hear them slide foward

So what did I come up with them?

Towels.

Bath towels, the old ones, you have had along time, that had been washed many times over, and over and then I washed them again in plain water a few times also.

Fold these up to take up the space you need, they are light enough, and can fit any space, and also pad when moving around.

And use a hand towel , or full size to fit your need.

I cannot tell you how many times in past I have moved a box.. heard that sound of all my comics sliding towards front, as I then peek inside, and try to convince myself that nothing was damaged, and everything is ok.

Z

But those "products" aren't in direct contact with the bagged/boaded comics. Usually there's around 3 or 4 backboards to prevent any bent/crease on the spine of the last comic in contact with the boards/newspapers/bubbles plastic.

They don't have to be in contact with the comics to harm them. The fact that the bubble plastic and newspaper are in the same sealed environment (box) with the comics means that the gasses/acids they realease are trapped in there with your comic books. This will cause yellowing/tanning/deterioration of the pages and cover over time.

Anyone have good, affordable solutions for this? I like the idea of yoga blocks, but I don't know anything about their material composition in my make-believe archival setting.

Anyone use these? 

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/241/comic-book-box-spacers

Edited by DavidTheDavid