• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wrightson Frankenstein Project - Status???

23 posts in this topic

I seem to remember that someone had started a project to reproduce Wrightson's Frankenstein prints in a large size book or portfolio. They were looking to re-shoot the originals so they would have the highest quality reproduction, and were trying to track down the owners of the originals.

I haven't heard anything in a year or two. Is this project "dead"? If "alive" how far along is it? Any idea of what percentage of the originals they were able to track down?

gj

I seem to remember that someone had started a project to reproduce Wrightson's Frankenstein prints in a large size book or portfolio. They were looking to re-shoot the originals so they would have the highest quality reproduction, and were trying to track down the owners of the originals.

I haven't heard anything in a year or two. Is this project "dead"? If "alive" how far along is it? Any idea of what percentage of the originals they were able to track down?

gj

Dead. Frank Darabont was putting it together. From what I heard, they only found about 2/3rds.

gj

Dead. Frank Darabont was putting it together. From what I heard, they only found about 2/3rds.

Hari,

Thanks for the update.

Gary J.

Shouldn't they have the newly shoot copies of 2/3rds without having to have individuals mail their art?

Then they can publish a hardback with several screw type fixtures for the bindings.

Publish the current pieces and then publish the remaining ones in groupings as they, or if they, get the others shot.

Think of the James Jean process recess volume 2 hardback to get an idea on the binding I am describing.

Edwin

They should publish with what they have at this point, and use source material for the other 1/3...but Noooooo-- let's wait another 10 years....

I was really looking forward to this volume. They scanned my Frankenstein plate AND my entire Muck Monster story which was also going to be included in the edition. With the success that IDW had with the Rocketeer book and the anticipated success of it's upcoming Simonson Thor book, the market is ripe for these types of publications!

Scott Williams

I was very disappointed with the recent Dark Horse edition because they reproduced the plates at not enough resolution (maybe 300dpi?) and it ruined the beautiful strokes, since pixelation was evident. What a wasted opportunity to release the definitive edition!

Hence that I'd love to see an edition similar to the Simonson's book, even if it contains only 2/3 of the plates.

This would mean plenty of advantages... Large size, nice resolution to enjoy Wrightson's breathtaking linework, and the feeling that you're holding the art with your hands... I'd gladly pay the cover price...

I noticed that (pixelation) about the recent Dark Horse Edition as well, Ferran.

Disappointing.

Usually in production, they scan a large page then shrink it down 50%, making it even sharper. In the DK case I'm guessing they just scanned the old published Frankenstein pages at 100% and then enlarged them a bit to fit the new (bigger) book.

In this case, they could scan the old book at 600dpi (minimum) and this would be acceptable, but of course, this needs more time aka more budget.

But it's strange, because Wrightson himself commented that lot of the reproductions from the DH edition were shot directly from scans of the art. I assumed that they used part of the stuff of the Darabont project. Hence my "WTF?" reaction when I got my copy of the book with pixelation. It's a shame, because the book was beautifully packaged with great design, something very rare lately with comic publishers.

Interview with Wrightson:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16823

Paragraph about the DH edition:

Sanderson said he read on Wrightson’s website that he was planning a re-issue of his illustrated “Frankenstein,” a book originally released 25 years ago with over 40 illustrations to accompany the prose of Mary Shelley. “We're doing the finishing touches on it now,” confirmed Wrightson. “It'll come out at the end of October, published by Dark Horse. It's very exciting because it's the first time it will be in bookstores. It's going to be a beautiful new hardcover edition, with everything from the previous incarnations, but turned up to 11. A lot of the reproductions are from scans of the original artwork, as much of it as we could get.” Released on the comic’s 25th anniversary, “Bernie Rightson’s Frankenstein” will be priced at “about 30 bucks.”

In this case, they could scan the old book at 600dpi (minimum) and this would be acceptable, but of course, this needs more time aka more budget.

But it's strange, because Wrightson himself commented that lot of the reproductions from the DH edition were shot directly from scans of the art. I assumed that they used part of the stuff of the Darabont project. Hence my "WTF?" reaction when I got my copy of the book with pixelation. It's a shame, because the book was beautifully packaged with great design, something very rare lately with comic publishers.

Interview with Wrightson:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16823

Paragraph about the DH edition:

A lot of the reproductions are from scans of the original artwork, as much of it as we could get.

Oh. So they just f**ked it up then. I was trying to give them an excuse, but...

When I last chatted with Frank (a year ago???), he said he was still planning on going through with the project. Dont know if anyone has any more recent info??

Doesn't sound like it's a priority for him. I think that's the real problem.

Hari

So, I have the Dark Horse edition of "Frankenstein" that was published in late 2008. My question is: does it include all of the plates from the original 1983 publication? The reason I ask is that I see some images on CAF which are not in this version of the book (e.g., the one in Scott Williams' gallery and the one in Dave Mandel's gallery). Now, I know there are a number of un-used plates out there, but, not having seen/read the original book from 1983, I'm not sure if plates like the ones owned by Messrs. Williams and Mandel were unused or just not included for some reason in the Dark Horse edition. Anyone know the answer?

Well, I know back in 1993 there was a book published called "The Lost Frankenstein Pages"... It was GN sized, had a green cover, and contained images that were left out of the published edition of the book. I'll try to find it later.

Well, I know back in 1993 there was a book published called "The Lost Frankenstein Pages"... It was GN sized, had a green cover, and contained images that were left out of the published edition of the book. I'll try to find it later.

Thanks! (thumbs u

I see both of the examples that I cited above are pictured on the back cover of the book. I can't imagine why they didn't use the one in Scott Williams' gallery - it's got to be one of the top 5 images created for the book, both published and unpublished.