• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wrightson Frankenstein Project - Status???

23 posts in this topic

Agreed! This book is still Wrightson's personal favourite of all his work. He poured his heart and soul into these, and it shows! I talked with him about this back in 2010, at the HeroesCon, and he still cites this work as being the pinnacle of his art.

Well, I know back in 1993 there was a book published called "The Lost Frankenstein Pages"... It was GN sized, had a green cover, and contained images that were left out of the published edition of the book. I'll try to find it later.

Thanks! (thumbs u

I see both of the examples that I cited above are pictured on the back cover of the book. I can't imagine why they didn't use the one in Scott Williams' gallery - it's got to be one of the top 5 images created for the book, both published and unpublished.

Hey Gene, I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, but it is my understanding that many of the plates that went unpublished in the original edition was due to Wrightsons perfectionism. He picked out all the key scenes to illustrate when he started the project, and would take many of them to completion before he would realize he was unhappy with it for artistic or storytelling reasons. My plate of the confrontation between the doctor and the monster was one of at least 4 attempts to draw the same scene. His biggest complaint about my plate was while it was very dramatic, he felt the monster was too large and his extended arm too long. I of course don't agree, but it just goes to show the intensity Wrightson displayed to his vision and artistry to produce a timeless magnum opus that he would go to such lengths to get it "just right". All this at a time when he probably never knew that the unused plates would show up in future editions of the book. While there are times when an artist can be his own worst enemy, you have to respect his pushing towards such self imposed high standards, and at least he never considered burning the unused and unfinished plates as has been discussed in the Kieth Sandman thread!

Scott Williams

That's really disappointing to hear the project is dead...in the mean time here is a Bride of Frankenstein Mr. Wrightson sketched for me a the Albuquerque Comic Expo.

Wow, nice sketch. Did he do it at the Con for you? When I ask or hear others ask him for sketches at Cons, he says he doesn't do them anymore.