• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auctions: Why do the archives have so many identical prices?

28 posts in this topic

This is something I've noticed several times: When searching the archives of the Heritage Auctions site (ha.com), often there will be identical prices for different copies of the same comic that were sold at completely different times. This is one out of dozens of examples:

ha-prices.jpg

What is the explanation for this?

This is something I've noticed several times: When searching the archives of the Heritage Auctions site (ha.com), often there will be identical prices for different copies of the same comic that were sold at completely different times. This is one out of dozens of examples:

ha-prices.jpg

they closed for the same price. i've also noticed for the hundreds of thousands of comics heritage has sold, the same book has sold for different prices. now, let's bring up halperin's past, disbarrment charges against schmell, shipping problems with clink

Or, people put in bids on future books based on past performance when they use Heritage's archives for reference.

ha-prices.jpg

I'm not saying shill bidding doesn't happen but do you really think the CEO of multimillion $ company like Heritage would be worried about the sale of a $227 book?

Seriously, you guys need to up your meds if you are incapable of keeping yourselves from having a hissy fit every single time someone posts something that YOU construe as possibly negative towards a dealer!

Is business really THAT bad for you dealers?!?

Did it ever occur to you that maybe he just wanted a simple question answered??? Its certainly odd that 2 years apart they sold for the exact same price to the penny. I'm not implying anything sinister but if you don't think that is peculiar and warrants asking a question about, you're definitely wrapped too tight IMO :eyeroll:

Seriously, you guys need to up your meds if you are incapable of keeping yourselves from having a hissy fit every single time someone posts something that YOU construe as possibly negative towards a dealer!

Did it ever occur to you that maybe he just wanted a simple question answered??? Its certainly odd that 2 years apart they sold for the exact same price to the penny. I'm not implying anything sinister but if you don't think that is peculiar and warrants asking a question about, you're definitely wrapped too tight IMO :eyeroll:

Are you talking to me?

lol

I don't know why you think anyone is having a hissy fit. I was simply speaking my mind and what went through it when he asked the question based on what I know about comics.

There are only a few possible scenarios:

1) owner of the book shill bid it up to previous amount

2) some employ of Heritage bid it up to previous amount

3) two actual bidders bid it up to the previous amount.

I think you sound way more wound up than anyone else posting in this thread.

(shrug)

Oh, and business is great.

(thumbs u

Did it ever occur to you that maybe he just wanted a simple question answered???

I thought I was answering them. Sorry you didn't like the answers.

:foryou:

ha-prices.jpg

I'm not saying shill bidding doesn't happen but do you really think the CEO of multimillion $ company like Heritage would be worried about the sale of a $227 book?

Look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves.

Ever heard that?

It's spookily true.

ha-prices.jpg

Look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves.

Ever heard that?

It's spookily true.

I've actually never heard that phrase but it makes sense.

I just don't see it happening though.

From my perspective, there is so much volume to deal with in a Heritage auction that I find it impossible to keep up myself. I rarely deal with them for that reason. It's overwhelming.

Then I try to imagine trying to keep track of every auction and maximizing it's potential by bidding it up and it looks even more unlikely to me.

Since Texas law allows Heritage employees to bid on Heritage auctions I'd admit that it is more likely for larger books if at all, but not for the relatively small stuff.

And again, it's only one out of at least 3 possibilities, all of which are just random guesses unless there is some proof.

That was my thinking on the matter.

I don't have a iron in the fire either way.

A more benign explanation is that Heritage's high bid increments impede variation in prices realized. Compare their bid increments to the other auction venues.

Heritage Bidding Increments

ComicLink Bidding Increments

That uniformity of sales results is more noticeable in the higher price brackets.

There are a few things that Heritage does very well, like report to the GPA, provide an easily searchable archive, and search engine optimization, but their bid increments don't serve them well, and they allocated insufficient bandwidth for their last Signature live event, which actually prevented some bids from getting placed.

Are you talking to me?

lol

I don't know why you think anyone is having a hissy fit. I was simply speaking my mind and what went through it when he asked the question based on what I know about comics.

(shrug)

I think he might be replying to paperheart's attempt to dismiss the question in the second post. (shrug)

Are you talking to me?

lol

(shrug)

I think he might be replying to paperheart's attempt to dismiss the question in the second post. (shrug)

Could be but he replied to me though (his link to the post he referenced) and mentioned dealers.

I just thought the reply was unwarranted but whatever.

ha-prices.jpg

Couldn't it be a IT issue? ie. Database tablespaces with duplicate entries (in error) or something of that sort.

I mean, let's face it: an auction that ends (with a 2 year interval) with the same exact value !?

A more benign explanation is that Heritage's high bid increments impede variation in prices realized. Compare their bid increments to the other auction venues.

That uniformity of sales results is more noticeable more noticeable in the higher price brackets.

Bingo! There are a lot of books on Heritage that sell for $227.05. It is the price for a base bid of $190.

That uniformity of sales results is more noticeable more noticeable in the higher price brackets.

Bingo! There are a lot of books on Heritage that sell for $227.05. It is the price for a base bid of $190.

I love it when a plan comes together!