• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the rarest magazine you own?

237 posts in this topic

Not sure how rare these are, but they were not easy to find. Luckily, when I finally did find them, they were cheap. These two issues happen to have a short story by one of my favorite authors (Paul Edwin Zimmer) that I don't think was ever published anywhere else.

FantasyBook_3_86_sm.jpg

FantasyBook_6_86_sm.jpg

Rarest magazine I own might be this one... produced by comic book company Hillman Publications. I've never seen another one. Has very large and graphic images of WWI and the war in Eastern Europe in 1939. How many of these do you think made it to the newsstand?

s-l1600.jpg

I'm more of a lurker/philomath on here but I wanted to add to this discussion.

I have a book that was never published in the form I have.

It's actually a proof for a VERY famous magazine about monsters but the rights changed hands before it was printed. That was years ago.

I'm not even sure I should own it but I can't bring myself to toss it for history's sake.

I worked at a print shop that almost printed this but we ran into some problems and it wound up being printed somewhere else with the same number but a totally different cover and interior as ownership changed hands.

I also have the layout on a jump drive.

I have never shared this but would like to have an opinion or two.

Should I toss all of it? Am I saving a bit of history or risking a legal smackdown?I think I have the only representation of it anywhere other than the then-publishers. The collector in me is hesitant to get rid of it but the rational person in me is saying get rid of it. The print shop has changed hands but no one working there but me even knew what the magazine was or meant to the world at large.

I don't intent to show it to anyone as the contents are...a bit incendiary. The then-publishers are a bit litigious and seem a little hard nosed from all that has happened in their life regarding this magazine.

Advice appreciated.

I'm more of a lurker/philomath on here but I wanted to add to this discussion.

I have a book that was never published in the form I have.

It's actually a proof for a VERY famous magazine about monsters but the rights changed hands before it was printed. That was years ago.

I'm not even sure I should own it but I can't bring myself to toss it for history's sake.

I worked at a print shop that almost printed this but we ran into some problems and it wound up being printed somewhere else with the same number but a totally different cover and interior as ownership changed hands.

I also have the layout on a jump drive.

I have never shared this but would like to have an opinion or two.

Should I toss all of it? Am I saving a bit of history or risking a legal smackdown?I think I have the only representation of it anywhere other than the then-publishers. The collector in me is hesitant to get rid of it but the rational person in me is saying get rid of it. The print shop has changed hands but no one working there but me even knew what the magazine was or meant to the world at large.

I don't intent to show it to anyone as the contents are...a bit incendiary. The then-publishers are a bit litigious and seem a little hard nosed from all that has happened in their life regarding this magazine.

Advice appreciated.

First, what is a philomath?

Second, your story is so cryptic it's hard to know what to say. But if it's a question between saving a rare magazine or destroying it, I am going to have to go with "don't destroy it."

The contents are incendiary? Uh, let me guess: It's the History of Heidi Saha? (Just kidding.)

Ha! Means I like to learn. Sorry.

I am trying to be a bit vague as the person we dealt with caught wind of me mentioning that we were going to print this (on my blog) and she went ballistic! Threatened to sue for leaking info and whatnot. I was dumbfounded. Thought the exposure would be nice for them.

Anyway, bottom line is I am really scared of this woman and am trying to keep any keywords from popping up on her radar. I really think she scours the internet looking for these type of posts. I have heard from others she is not a nice person to deal with.

It's also hard to know who to trust. I may be holding something that could have a nice historical context years from now. There are articles in the mag that talk trash about a dead person who is an idol to a LOT of monster fans so you can see why I'm nervous.

If any of you figure out who I'm talking about, (the clues are there) please don't mention the mag's name, as it might bring her here to 'discuss' it.

Yeah, I know I sound like a paranoid goof but I swear this is all true.

An aside, I have a Con book that has a poem about Heidi Saha called Seidi Haha and pretty much rips her and her mom apart. I believe it caused some controversy at the time with Heidi's father, Warren and the guy who put it in the con book. Anyone remember that?

It's all here if you want to read the uncomfortable details:

http://junglefrolics.blogspot.com/2010/01/much-of-whats-written-about-heidi-saha.html

So.

Should I keep this sordid book or let it go? That woman will die eventually. (I guess!)

So. Should I keep this sordid book or let it go?

Why do you ask if you should let the book go? Are you super low on storage space? Put it in a protective sleeve and file it away.

As for talking trash about a deceased someone who is an idol to monster fans, there are a lot of guesses possible:

-- Christopher Lee

-- Ray Harryhausen

-- Forrest J. Ackerman

-- Vincent Price

-- Lon Chaney Sr./Jr.

-- Boris Karloff

-- Bela Lugosi

-- Peter Cushing

I guess I'm afraid that having it is illegal.

It was supposed to be tossed. If that woman knew it was in my possession, I'm sure she'd sue me. This was a business transaction and I kept the goods. The entire issue is an ego ride while making pot-shots at the person-I-can't-mention. I should mention that there was a LOT of public bad blood between the parties involved.

By the way it is probably one of those people you listed.

Ok.

This is off my original topic but I just noticed that in my profile, my interest in Dicktracy has been autochanged to *Spoon* Tracy.

That's funny.

Haven't you heard of *spoon* Tracey? On yeah, he's way more popular then that D-ick guy. :tonofbricks:

I guess I'm afraid that having it is illegal.

It was supposed to be tossed. If that woman knew it was in my possession, I'm sure she'd sue me. This was a business transaction and I kept the goods. The entire issue is an ego ride while making pot-shots at the person-I-can't-mention. I should mention that there was a LOT of public bad blood between the parties involved.

By the way it is probably one of those people you listed.

I doubt you'll be sued as long as you don't do anything with the material. Wait it out; maybe some day the situation will change and then you'll have something worthwhile. Whatever it is, it sounds pretty juicy in a "Hollywood Babylon" kinda way.

Sounds good. I don't really want to get rid of it. Just paranoid I guess. That lady was sure I was the Anti-Claus! Scared my sweet little self.

Thanks for the opinions, I really appreciate it.

I may change my profile to *Spoon* Tracy. My wife seems to like it!

Those are really cool. Never seen 'em. Strange that there aren't any issue numbers on the covers. How are the stories/gags/cartoons?

sorta Charlton lame if you know what I mean. some are kind of adult. one of them has been scanned at DCM if you want to venture there.

Given away or sold at the 2007 SDCC.

Only one I have ever come across. Supposedly only 300 - 400 printed. Of these, there was supposedly 4 or 5 variations that made up the 300 - 400 printing. Possibly 60 - 80 or 75 - 100 copies of each variation.

This is numbered 1e (so 5 variations?). It reprints the Richard Corben story "Within You,... Without You".

Eerie%20Special00001_zps614tau1w.jpg

A misprint of the Spanish edition issued for Europe (1500 copies).

The misprint is on the cover. The Spanish versions were not supposed to have the words "A Warren Publication" on the cover as this was supposed to only be printed on the signed & numbered US versions (500 copies). Unknown as to how many of the 1500 were misprinted.

I also have a copy of the signed & numbered US version.

Vampi_Spanish_zpsaduwsg24.jpg