• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the rarest magazine you own?

237 posts in this topic

Since a few famous celebrities were pictured on magazine pages wearing a strange sheepskin boot, Ugg boots or "Uggs" have shot to the top tier of the fashion stakes.

From what I hear, studies show that people who wear Ugg books are 300 times more likely to die in a fire. I also recently read that the name "Ugg" is short for "Uggly," because of an ancient hex placed on the shoe which turns its wearers into hideous troll-like people in just a few weeks. Other studies show that people who get on message boards just to spam them with garbage about shoe sales are 8,000 times more likely to get crushed by falling meteors.

Since a few famous celebrities were pictured on magazine pages wearing a strange sheepskin boot, Ugg boots or "Uggs" have shot to the top tier of the fashion stakes. This is quite a feat for an item that at first look belongs to another age. But the growing popularity of this type of footwear means that cheap Uggs are readily available now and you too can be sure to stand out in a street full of people.

In order to understand the look of the Ugg boot we first need to understand where they originated from. It is not known exactly where and when the first boot hit the streets but they were already a fixture of rural life among the sheep farmers of Australia and New Zealand back in the early part of the twentieth century. Australian pilots during the First World War also used them to insulate their feet when flying in sub-zero temperatures at altitude.

Nowadays in those countries "Ugg" has become a generic term as much as "shoe" so that no one company there can attain a patent. In the US and elsewhere this is not the case, where, in fact, the Deckers Outdoor Corporation holds the trademark for over one hundred countries.

ugg boots Classic ugg boots

Ugg boots 5803

???

Welcome to the boards? (shrug)

That might be the most random first post ever. ???

Since a few famous celebrities were pictured on magazine pages wearing a strange sheepskin boot, Ugg boots or "Uggs" have shot to the top tier of the fashion stakes. This is quite a feat for an item that at first look belongs to another age. But the growing popularity of this type of footwear means that cheap Uggs are readily available now and you too can be sure to stand out in a street full of people.

In order to understand the look of the Ugg boot we first need to understand where they originated from. It is not known exactly where and when the first boot hit the streets but they were already a fixture of rural life among the sheep farmers of Australia and New Zealand back in the early part of the twentieth century. Australian pilots during the First World War also used them to insulate their feet when flying in sub-zero temperatures at altitude.

Nowadays in those countries "Ugg" has become a generic term as much as "shoe" so that no one company there can attain a patent. In the US and elsewhere this is not the case, where, in fact, the Deckers Outdoor Corporation holds the trademark for over one hundred countries.

ugg boots Classic ugg boots

Ugg boots 5803

When D's have baby's with other D's you get ddd's this guy is the retarded child of that ddd's

I figure this thread needs some freshness after being soiled by a spammer a few weeks ago. I was recently going through my collection and taking photos, and decided to put this image together of some of my better comic magazines. I think you'll recognize most of these (including a few rare ones), and you'll also recognize the symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder... Anyway, enjoy.

comic-magazines.jpg

Wicked Wanda & Mod Love stand out for me. Would you, please, scan two or three of the most

psychedelic or just plain odd pages from the Mod Love? Thanks.

Btw, I'm very impressed with your collection. You seem to have hit all the high notes.

Now, where's the real sleaze. What are the low notes of this collection? Any guilty pleasures? Hmmmmm?

*edit*

Wow! That second batch is killer! Best of (in order)

1. L'echo des Savanes (Looks like Neal Adams' Tarzan.)

2. KooKoo (Now that's graphic design)

3. Glamor Photography (I've been on shoots like that.)

This may be the only title, "True Life Secrets" that went from being a CDC, (Charlton) romance comic book

Photobucket

to a "True Men's" type of sleaze rag.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Wicked Wanda & Mod Love stand out for me. Would you, please, scan two or three of the most psychedelic or just plain odd pages from the Mod Love? Thanks.

This is better -- check out THIS PAGE from a blog about "true-love comics tales." It has much more of the comic's interior than I would be able to post. Glad you dig this hip comic! I found out about Mod Love while searching for the EC comic "Modern Love." Then later I saw it featured in a little book called "Holy Sh*t! The World's Weirdest Comics" (or something like that), which is a great little book. There was only one issue of Mod Love and it's more the size of a magazine than a comic.

Btw, I'm very impressed with your collection. You seem to have hit all the high notes.

Now, where's the real sleaze. What are the low notes of this collection? Any guilty pleasures? Hmmmmm? Wow! That second batch is killer! Best of (in order)

1. L'echo des Savanes (Looks like Neal Adams' Tarzan.)

2. KooKoo (Now that's graphic design)

3. Glamor Photography (I've been on shoots like that.)

Thanks! That's funny that you asked about the sleaze and then my next post had the sleaze. I tracked down "L'Echo Des Savanes" after seeing it featured as one of the comic world's "Top 10 Headlights Covers" in the book "Comics: Between the Panels." At this point I think I have about 7 or 8 of that list of 10. As for "KooKoo," I agree on the graphic design, and that's why I bought it. (It kinda reminds me of Action Comics #89.) I think that's one of my oldest magazines -- it's from 1932. As for Glamour Photography, I never saw that before but had to have it. The only reason I saw it was because I "checked other listings" from some eBay seller who had some cool comics. I can only imagine how much other stuff there must be out there like it, but there's no guidebook on that sort of thing, and no one place to look for it. The painter's style is very similar to the guy who does the Man's Story cover art (I really should try to remember his name), and I would not be surprised to find it was the same artist.

This may be the only title, "True Life Secrets" that went from being a CDC, (Charlton) romance comic book to a "True Men's" type of sleaze rag.

Cool photos, I had not realized that before (unless you posted this a couple years ago, in which case I saw it and then forgot). That is a very strange progression there. Whatever sells, right? I suppose you probably also know that the first image, of the woman with the pearl necklace offering to "pay" for it, was originally from a Fox romance comic? I think the original had the woman saying something else, and had a blue or purple background. Anyway, thanks for the responses, and I look forward to more weird magazine images/stories.

I figure this thread needs some freshness after being soiled by a spammer a few weeks ago. I was recently going through my collection and taking photos, and decided to put this image together of some of my better comic magazines. I think you'll recognize most of these (including a few rare ones), and you'll also recognize the symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder... Anyway, enjoy.

comic-magazines.jpg

I just found this thread. I'm very impressed, especially that there two Shock Illustrated 3's! :whatthe:

Based on the photo, can you tell which magazine I am conspicuously missing?

WOW, that's quite a collection. All the EC Photo-Fiction titles, plus multiple copies of the first Mad mags (even all the #28 variants)! Based upon your collection posted, don't see much that's missing.

Maybe a Sick #1 or B&W Eerie #1?