• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the rarest magazine you own?

237 posts in this topic

Okay, according to the UK Comic Book Guide, only 50 of these were made. It was done by Brian Bolland back in the mid '70s. Writing, drawing and self-published. In the recent Art of Brian Bolland book he confirmed that he made only 50 copies of it. Here it is:

Suddenlyat2oclockintheMorning.jpg

The Bolland? I had a search going for it on ebay FOR.EV.ER and finally one day it pinged. Had a BIG bidding war for it! (Well, big for me!) One of the other bidders posted about it later: http://www.comicspriceguide.com/boards/128780/Suddenly-at-2-O-Clock-in-the-Morning#bm128833

Oh, I just realized, I won it from Ewan_UK! He's got the most amazing UK collection.

Okay, according to the UK Comic Book Guide, only 50 of these were made. It was done by Brian Bolland back in the mid '70s. Writing, drawing and self-published. In the recent Art of Brian Bolland book he confirmed that he made only 50 copies of it. Here it is:

Suddenlyat2oclockintheMorning.jpg

Very cool. A lot of early fanzine/self-pub books from early in an artist's career aren't visually compelling enough to make them cool on their own merits, but I really like this one. I'm a sucker for retro looking logos as well.

Don't have that many mags, raw or graded. I guess I'd say this one, although it's not exactly rare. Well, maybe with the grade, but it's definitely not a rare book.

RAD52B4720131118_164415.jpg

Don't have that many mags, raw or graded. I guess I'd say this one, although it's not exactly rare. Well, maybe with the grade, but it's definitely not a rare book.

(worship) Awesome book and tough to find in that grade. One of the best Bronze Age mags

(worship) Awesome book and tough to find in that grade. One of the best Bronze Age mags

Yeah! One of the few mags I still need. Great copy! :headbang:

Probably this one, hard to find in such HG

vampirellaspecial1977HC.jpg

Assuming that is the HC, you can safely assume there are less than 250 in existence. At least by my estimation. After acquiring mine roughly ten years ago I verified a few of the background stories I had heard regarding the book. Upshot is that the book was printed cheaply in Mexico and upon unboxing at Warren in NY roughly half were junked due to split spines and other defects. I managed to verify this with Bill Dubay. So, start there and then guesstimate how many of those remaining copies have survived in the almost four decades since.

Assuming that is the HC, you can safely assume there are less than 250 in existence. At least by my estimation. After acquiring mine roughly ten years ago I verified a few of the background stories I had heard regarding the book. Upshot is that the book was printed cheaply in Mexico and upon unboxing at Warren in NY roughly half were junked due to split spines and other defects. I managed to verify this with Bill Dubay. So, start there and then guesstimate how many of those remaining copies have survived in the almost four decades since.

yep, it's the HC

Not sure how rare these are, but they are seldom found. Not the most desirable Curtis/Marvel magazine for most :)

_Image0112.jpg

- bounty

Now I have to add this to my Curtis want list. :pullhair: And I thought I had all the mags they published on my list. :tonofbricks:

** Disregard. I do have this in my list....Photo News Features #1. Maybe I do have a complete list after all. :banana:

yep, it's the HC

I actually passed on an HG OO copy of this a few years ago (specifically because it was the HC). doh!

Guy later died, and books got passed on to (non-collecting) kids. :(