• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the rarest magazine you own?

237 posts in this topic

Not sure how rare these are, but they are seldom found. Not the most desirable Curtis/Marvel magazine for most :)

_Image0112.jpg

- bounty

Anyone know a little about the history of this magazine? I cant find any info on- line. A link would be appreciated. :)

Also, doing a search on the census, brings up 2 Photo News Features issue 1 from Marvel, issue 2 from Curtis.

Issue 1 from Marvel, not sure if that is this book or not, as Curtis is the publisher, and it is weird that of the 4 graded copies, 2 are signature series. :eek: Who would have signed this book? :fear:

Not sure how rare these are, but they are seldom found. Not the most desirable Curtis/Marvel magazine for most :)

_Image0112.jpg

- bounty

Anyone know a little about the history of this magazine? I cant find any info on- line. A link would be appreciated. :)

Also, doing a search on the census, brings up 2 Photo News Features issue 1 from Marvel, issue 2 from Curtis.

Issue 1 from Marvel, not sure if that is this book or not, as Curtis is the publisher, and it is weird that of the 4 graded copies, 2 are signature series. :eek: Who would have signed this book? :fear:

Eerie and Spooky!

B0023.jpg

B0024.jpg

They're digests and at one time I showed them to Bill Blackbeard who had never seen them and he figured they were some kind of Lev Gleason entry into the field of paperbacks that never got past this test. No idea where they came from and never seen any other copies. Great L.B. Cole covers, don't you think!

And while a copy of the collected Oh Wicked Wanda! is indeed a fairly rare mag, it took me much longer to secure a copy of the collected Honey Hooker strips from Hustler Magazine. However when I did, it didn't just rain, it poured and I ended up with 2 copies. I see them about 1/10th as much as I do OWW's. Anybody else have a copy? Sorry no pic at the moment as my scanner just fritzed!!!

They're digests and at one time I showed them to Bill Blackbeard who had never seen them and he figured they were some kind of Lev Gleason entry into the field of paperbacks that never got past this test. No idea where they came from and never seen any other copies. Great L.B. Cole covers, don't you think!

And while a copy of the collected Oh Wicked Wanda! is indeed a fairly rare mag, it took me much longer to secure a copy of the collected Honey Hooker strips from Hustler Magazine. However when I did, it didn't just rain, it poured and I ended up with 2 copies. I see them about 1/10th as much as I do OWW's. Anybody else have a copy? Sorry no pic at the moment as my scanner just fritzed!!!

Big big :applause: on the L.B. Cole / Lev Gleason digest books. Never seen 'em before and I doubt I'll ever see them anywhere besides your post! Very cool!

Regarding the Honey Hooker magazine, I have never seen that (and hadn't heard of it), and look forward to your scanner working properly.

B0023.jpg

B0024.jpg

Very cool!

Chicago Mirror #3 (1968) by Jay Lynch, of the 800 print run, only about 100 were distributed because the printer was late printing it. Jay "felt stupid" trying to sell it with old news so he didn't pay the printer and only distributed the first 100 copies. It contains an ad for Zap Comix #1(that would have come out before Zap Comix #1 if it hadn't been printed late). The other two are rare items also, Orpheus #3 and 4 are early Tom King Forcade magazines from 1967 or 1968, long before he founded High Times magazine.

150478.jpg.ffbe4fb28aeff079053ee71337def5bb.jpg

I have one too. I posted mine on the golden age section last year but no one was impressed! lol

crooks001.jpg

Any idea where they might have come from and if they were sold or giveaway items? Never have I run into anybody who has one or any? Recall how you came across it? The two I have were found in a box of old paperbacks at an estate sale I attended, but the original owner was dead and the sellers knew nothing about the pamphlets. Thus a dead end until today!

I collect extremely rare stuff so when I see something I have never seen before, I grab it! These booklets seem to be giveaways and associated with Lev Gleason. I really can't find anything about them. But they are cool just because hardly nobody else has them.

I collect extremely rare stuff so when I see something I have never seen before, I grab it! These booklets seem to be giveaways and associated with Lev Gleason. I really can't find anything about them. But they are cool just because hardly nobody else has them.

Then I'm doubly proud to be 'hardly'!

It's funny that no one has picked up on the fact that the cover to the Honey Hooker book was done by Paul Gulacy! The job was originally offered to Steranko, who in turn, suggested Paul to the editors. There was also an issue of Hustler, from around '77, that has an interior illustration for an article showing a man on his knees, pockets turned inside out, before a judge. Those are the only two jobs I'm aware of that Paul did for Hustler. These preceded his cover work for Epic I'm pretty sure. If anyone cares.