• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How valuable is Stan Lee's autograph?

34 posts in this topic

Even on comics he didn't have something to do with..

I've watched countless comics sell on eBay that are signed by Stan Lee and something that has bothered me recently is that I've watched quite a few comics signed by Stan Lee go for big bucks even when he wasn't involved in those comics. Perfect example, I've watched several Wolverine Limited Series #1's sell for between $300-$350 in 9.8 with white pages when Stan Lee had nothing to do with Wolverine whereas the same comic signed by Chris Claremont sells for around $100 less. I mean it's one thing if you are talking about a later issue of Amazing Spider-Man or something. Does this bother anyone else or how do you feel about it?

See more journals by mikelutes

I can only speak for myself, but I prefer to have Stan's signature on a book he actually worked on. If I were going to pick between those copies of Wolverine #1 I would take the one with Claremont. As for valuing his signature, only the market can do that. But a ticket for him costs at least $50 so that is a minimum price bump for a book signed by him.

I remember going to Comic Con sometime in the 90's, running into a short line and seeing Stan sitting at a booth, on the convention floor, signing autographs for free. I was in a hurry and figured I'd catch him some other time. Never did catch up with him, quit going to Comic Con in 2006 due to the overwhelming crowds and change in focus

My sickness is covering all bases. Without Stan and others like Simon many books, or should I say collecting comic's would only have half its appeal. I like to use the example of Wolverine # 1 Campbell cover, deadpool variant I have 3 books 1 - SS by Stan 1 - SS Campbell 1 - Blue Label and have them in a custom 3 - frame with UV protection on a wall that never receives direct light.

Stan is 90 and when he passes on thats it, so its not how many he signed but what he signed. Direct or not the story of the charecter leads back to Lee. I believe great artists that are no longer with us puts a premium on that artits work. perfect example would be Michael Turner who was a great comic artist that will not be showing up for a signing, I believe his work deserves the premium and so on

What a good question. I submitted four books last year for a signing with Stan Lee. Out of the three he had something to do with, whether he wrote the one, or edited the other, or crated the character for the third. It was the fourth I thought about with the most difficulty of sending in. He had nothing to do with. It of course was a copy of New Mutants #1......please may I one day be able to get that signed by Chris Claremont. As it is mentioned above, Stan Lee's time on this earth is Finite and sometimes the signature on a book we cherish by him gives us the solace that we have something that once touched his hands. Three of the four books I got signed I might very well sell, it is that fourth book that means something to me that I shall keep and cherish. So how valuable is Stan Lee's autograph...... it is only as valuable as what you want to spend.

I agree that it is important to match the signature with the actual creators of a specific book. So a Stan Lee SS book ought to warrant a premium if he actually wrote the story.

I also understand the argument that Stan Lee is largely responsible for the creation of the majority of the CORE characters in the Marvel Universe. One could argue that if one of those core characters is in the book, then Stan made his mark on the book.

For my own personal collection I prefer to have Stan Lee written books with his signature on them. I won't pay a premium for his signature if he didn't write the story. However, I have one exception: my Secret Wars #10. It has sentimental value in that it was the first comic I ever bought off the rack. And I can justify the Stan Lee signature by claiming he had his hand in creating 80% of the characters in that book...

before he started to flood the CGC SS market, his sig had some value, now i avoid at all cost. the man needs to eat, so i'm not bitter, but it's not worth the premium. think walking dead #1 CGC SS, pretty soon the CGC SS will out number the regular universals.

Does CGC have a number of exactly how many books Stan Lee has signed for the Signature Series? I would think that he has signed the most from what I see pop up for sale.

They probably lost count.

You need to keep in mind that autographs on comics aren't limited to the artists & writers, but also include creators, and sometimes actors who have been a character in the comic on the screen. That being said, a Stan Lee signature on a Wolverine comic wouldn't be strange at all, as he did create the X-Men. As well, you may see a Hugh Jackman signature on some. Just like you'd find Adam West signatures on Batman issues. Hope that helps make sense of it for you.

Hi

Just wanted to ask out of interest. I have a softback copy of Bring on the bad guys by Stan Lee and signed: Stan Lee 76.

Can anybody tell me if it has any value??

Thanks Bouff

depends on the condition

for the right buyer maybe 50$ max?

I can't stand Stan Lee SS books anymore...

It's sad I feel this way, but people get the goofiest books signed by him, and then add $250 to the asking price.

I will actually NOT buy a book on my buy list if it is signed by him.

It has gotten that bad.

I have no interest in a Stan Lee signed Copper/Modern book, and I don't collect Silver/Bronze SS slabs, so I am definitely not the target consumer for his SS books...

Even on comics he didn't have something to do with..

I've watched countless comics sell on eBay that are signed by Stan Lee and something that has bothered me recently is that I've watched quite a few comics signed by Stan Lee go for big bucks even when he wasn't involved in those comics. Perfect example, I've watched several Wolverine Limited Series #1's sell for between $300-$350 in 9.8 with white pages when Stan Lee had nothing to do with Wolverine whereas the same comic signed by Chris Claremont sells for around $100 less. I mean it's one thing if you are talking about a later issue of Amazing Spider-Man or something. Does this bother anyone else or how do you feel about it?

See more journals by mikelutes

I would take the Claremont signed book 10 out of 10 times.

I have mixed feelings about the subject. On one hand I agree, there are too many Lee signatures adorning works he wasn't involved in (e.g.: Spawn #9 1st Angela), but on the other hand, as he ages, very soon, there will be a point when the signatures cease... and that is going to be sad.

If I could afford it, I would love his signature on Menace #5, FF 5, 48, 66, 67, Silver Surfer 3, 4, AF 15, and just about any Silver Age Marvel he co-Wrote with, Romita, John Buscema, Ditko, and the King, Jack Kirby.

I am sure Lee is well aware of the exploitation of his signature, but I'm sure he loved the fact that he is still popular and in demand.

God bless him!

SW3D