• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really?

55 posts in this topic

So according to the latest edition of the OSPG, the most valuable Copper Age book, Gobbledygook 1, is more valuable than any of the top BA keys (at the 9.2 level). So it's fair to say that a book with a print run of what- 50? and has a photo of the TMNTs on the back cover is more valuable than Star Wars 1 (35 cent variant)? Hulk 181? GL 76?

This also appears to be the only instance where the top key from a later age is more valuable than the best key from the age preceding it. Here's the Overstreet ranking from most valuable key/age to least valuable key/age:

1) Golden Age - Action Comics 1

2) Silver Age - Amazing Fantasy 15

(no issue as to 1st and 2nd rankings)

3) Copper Age - Gobbledygook 1

4) Bronze Age - Star Wars 1 (35 cent variant)

The best of Copper above Bronze?

Really Mr. Overstreet?

John

On the one hand, I can understand the logic, since Gobbledygook is much rarer than Star Wars $.35, but yeah--I'd wager the collector base for the Star Wars issue is far broader.

That's also bunk because they don't give a value for TMNT # 1. How you can give a list a value for the easier-to-counterfeit of the two and not the other, I don't get.

If I polled 10 collectors who collect keys from all the ages and asked them which book would they rather have in their collection: Hulk 181 or Gobbledygook 1? I'm sure they would go with Wolvie's 1st app.

- I just don't know how an appearance on the back cover of book qualifies as a legitimate 1st app. If this is the standard, then would Action Comics 1 be the 1st app. of Superman (which it is of course- not the advertisement that preceded it)?

It's amazing how arbitrary Overstreet is.

But it's based on supply and demand. If Gobbledygook #1 was as common as Hulk #181, the Hulk #181 would win hands down. It is the tremendous scarcity of the GG that brings it up to that level, AND it is tied to the single most important book of the entire Copper age. It is at just that right level of scarce and in demand that it carries that value. If there were only 10, it would essentially be uncollectable, and probably wouldn't be as valuable (strange, but true.)

I have never thought Gobbledygook should get the dollars it does, but the market doesn't agree.

Good point that with "only 10," it might as well be uncollectible.

I like the Superman Bradman comic, but with only 30 copies out there, I don't think it will ever be widely-known enough to show stable long-term growth.

Rather, the each successive sale within a short period of time will likely go down as the former sale takes a bidder out of the equation. See also Bloodshot 0 platinum.

With the Bradman, a CGC 8.0 sold on eBay for $2,000. then a CGC 9.6 shows up less than a year later and sells for only $2,600.

Personally, I think TMNT # 1 is the biggest book of the 1980s, while the Gobbledygooks are curiosities. Same reason that Star Wars 1 ($.35) will likely always outstrip Iron Fist 14 ($.35) in value--there are what, only 50 known copies of the Iron Fist book vs. hundreds of the Star Wars 1?

There is a tipping point in the balance between absolute scarcity and demand. It's not the same for every book (or other collectibles), but it's somewhere around 10-50 or so examples known.

There are a ton of books that are far more scarce than Action #1, and even with the overwhelming factor of Supes, they still only sell for a tiny fraction of Action #1.

Look at the Maxx ashcans. People give up on collecting them because there are 2-3 of the 12 that are complete stoppers. They just don't appear anywhere for sale, at any price. You can't buy what isn't available.

Look at the Maxx ashcans. People give up on collecting them because there are 2-3 of the 12 that are complete stoppers. They just don't appear anywhere for sale, at any price. You can't buy what isn't available.

Sure I can! 2/3 of the Maxx Black ashcans are available right now on ebay from CosmicSupra or ColonicSuture? or something like that. I'm loading my lowball offers right now...

lol

:roflmao:

Thanks, buddy. ;) That made my day.

If I polled 10 collectors who collect keys from all the ages and asked them which book would they rather have in their collection: Hulk 181 or Gobbledygook 1? I'm sure they would go with Wolvie's 1st app.

Nope. I'd go with gobbledy so I could sell it, buy a Hulk 181 with the profits and still have some left over.

In this regard, I like what Beckett does for their baseball, football, etc.. annual price guides. If a card is too low in population to really gauge a value, they simply say no data is available due to scarcity, however they may add a footnote if a documented sale took place. They would never count it towards any list of top ten cards or whatever. It's considered an oddball item.

Wait a minute, Gobbledy 1 merely has an ad for TMNT? That's what's driving its value?

Yep.

Isn't there a pre-Action 1 comic out there that has an ad for Action Comics 1? hm

Wait a minute, Gobbledy 1 merely has an ad for TMNT? That's what's driving its value?

Yup. That and the long-ago incorrect notation by overstreet as the first appearance.

Although also the extreme rarity, the cool eastman & laird work.

Nope. I'd go with gobbledy so I could sell it, buy a Hulk 181 with the profits and still have some left over.

+1

Yep.

Isn't there a pre-Action 1 comic out there that has an ad for Action Comics 1? hm

New Adventure Comics #26 and #27 have ads for Action #1. #26 is pre-Action #1, #27 was released at the same time.

There's a 2.5 New Adventure #27 on CLink right now that I would guess will go for between $4K-$6K

For most TMNT fans, this is a grail. not only because of the TMNT 1 ad but also because of the early work by Eastman and Laird. But the biggest reason is there were only 50 made.

Also, keep in mind this (along with Gobbledy #2) was the FIRST published book from Mirage Studios, the company that would create the TMNT that would lead to a worldwide pop culture phenomenon and the number #1 Copper Age book. That's some hefty history there. And while its no Marvel #1 or DC #1, etc. as far as first offerings from publishing houses, it still does have the full outside back cover ad for TMNT #1 (not just some small, inner blurb), features the first appearance of the Fugitoid which was a major character in the TMNT universe (and ties in heavily to early Turtles stories), plus only 50 were made, hand made. Until these last couple years, legit copies were near mythical, and with demand very high for the above reasons (and probably others), it only makes sense it's so highly valued.

For most TMNT fans, this is a grail. not only because of the TMNT 1 ad but also because of the early work by Eastman and Laird. But the biggest reason is there were only 50 made.

Also, keep in mind this (along with Gobbledy #2) was the FIRST published book from Mirage Studios

If it doesn't have a cover price, was it intended for sale? If it wasn't intended for sale can we say it was distributed and/or published in the normal way? I love these little books but I think they are more early-career giveaways / promo pieces than published books. Any thoughts?