• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really?

55 posts in this topic

I'm working on a complete collection of TMNT. I have #1 first print and 3rd...I want all the prints. I have 1-10 missing # 9 and 2nd and 3rd prints of the early issues. The #3 variant may be very hard and expensive but I think It is one that I can still get even with only a 500 print run. Now if I wanted to collect any cameo or appearance of the turtles Gobbledygook would put a halt to it. Even though it is just an ad it is so much more...The first time you saw them in print!!!! It comes down to how complete you want your collection to be.

I hate to bump this but how often do these come up for sale? I'm dying to get my hands on one and have been searching for weeks now.

Heritage has a 1 and 2 up for auction next month (not mine)...

http://www.ha.com/common/search_results.php?ic=homepage_search&Nty=1&Ntk=SI_Titles&Ntt=gobbledygook&N=0+793+794+791+792+2088

I hate to bump this but how often do these come up for sale? I'm dying to get my hands on one and have been searching for weeks now.

http://www.ha.com/common/search_results.php?ic=homepage_search&Nty=1&Ntk=SI_Titles&Ntt=gobbledygook&N=0+793+794+791+792+2088

Thanks Jester! I'm all over those. Well #1 anyway. :banana:

Thanks Jester! I'm all over those. Well #1 anyway. :banana:

Heritage offered 3 #1s last year:

Feb 8.5 sold for $11,352.50

May 9.0 sold for $6,273.75

Nov 8.0 sold for $1,912.00

Price seems to be coming down as the hardcore guys get their copy.

Strange. I thought there were no rare bronze or copper comic books. I hear that at least once a week on here.

There is really no such thing as a "rare" mass-produced comic book from any era, and several hundred examples likely exist (100+ confirmed) of even something like Action 1.

The only exception are low-print editions like this (with a print run smaller than the existent copies of Action 1), which are not the same thing as a standard, mass market comic book. I mean, there are those "Museum" moderns that were artificially limited to 1 copy each, but I doubt anyone would trade a AF 15 for one.

So, youi're saying that there are most likely several hundred copies of each of these around?

Any mass market issue of a popular character should have 100+ copies still existing *somewhere*, but that would naturally not include any esoteric or low-print (for the era) issues. And I'm not sure why you would post something like Romeo Tubbs (unless it was the "Canadian Edition, which is even lamer, since it's lower print), as there are plenty of copies online, including 10 over at Metro alone. :facepalm:

But my main point was comparing any issue from titles like Superman, post-Batman TEC, Batman or Captain Marvel would qualify - stuff people would keep and collect.

Strange. I thought there were no rare bronze or copper comic books. I hear that at least once a week on here.

There is really no such thing as a "rare" mass-produced comic book from any era, and several hundred examples likely exist (100+ confirmed) of even something like Action 1.

The only exception are low-print editions like this (with a print run smaller than the existent copies of Action 1), which are not the same thing as a standard, mass market comic book. I mean, there are those "Museum" moderns that were artificially limited to 1 copy each, but I doubt anyone would trade a AF 15 for one.

What about recalled editions ?

So, Silver Streak Comics was a low print run that no one collects? The above were not mass produced comics and no one (who counts) collects them?

I posted the Romeo Tubbs because you can't find ten of them. Heck, find three. Even two. It is the Canadian issue and is labeled #27 on the cover. It was mass produced. The ones at Metro do not have an issue number on the cover and they are issue #28. Gerber and Overstreet state #27 probably does not exist.

It must be fun when you decide what is a low print non-mass produced without any evidence other than your educated guess. It also must be fun when you decide what is collectible and what is not.

I can't wait to read your next post about how truly clueless I am, and how spot on you are.

I love the use of the words "should" and "somewhere". Hard to disprove those words.

I haven't checked on the latest link from Heritage's upcoming sale, but all but one of the recent sales (last two years) from Heritage were "autheticated" by Eastman and/or Laird themselves.

That's part of what drove the ridiculous first sale of the 8.5--it was the first verified authentic version sold publicly in years.

And--true to form, once it sold for as much as it did, several other sets came out of the woodwork.

Heritage offered 3 #1s last year:

Feb 8.5 sold for $11,352.50

May 9.0 sold for $6,273.75

Nov 8.0 sold for $1,912.00

Price seems to be coming down as the hardcore guys get their copy.

OUCH! doh!

Also, how do we know these are legit copies? Haven't their been counterfeit copies around?

I'd be happy to vouch for these books. They belong to Bill Fitts -- the creator of the fabled "The Birds, The Bees, and the Turtles" Adult TMNT book. He is a former Mirage employee. He served as archivist back when the amount of TMNT product being produced warranted the position to exist.

Bill contacted me about how to handle the sale of the books when he recently rediscovered them in his collection. These books were given to him by Kevin.

I posted the Romeo Tubbs because you can't find ten of them. Heck, find three. Even two. It is the Canadian issue and is labeled #27 on the cover.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

What's next, 35-cent variants of Western/Cartoon books. Printing defects?

I am Canadian, and *everything* produced for up here is already a "low print" since it's only about 5-10% of the comparable US edition. Or are you just another dumb American who thinks we all live in igloos and hunt polar bears. lol