• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really?

55 posts in this topic

I posted the Romeo Tubbs because you can't find ten of them. Heck, find three. Even two. It is the Canadian issue and is labeled #27 on the cover.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

What's next, 35-cent variants of Western/Cartoon books. Printing defects?

I am Canadian, and *everything* produced for up here is already a "low print" since it's only about 5-10% of the comparable US edition. Or are you just another dumb American who thinks we all live in igloos and hunt polar bears. lol

Ah, you're Canadian. That explains a lot.

We were having a discussion about an assertion you made. Then I posted several pics of several books, and you clung onto one of them as somehow showing you were right and I was wrong. Totally ignoring the other books, such as Silver Streak #NN. Which there are NOT several hundred copies of "somewhere". Then I challenged you to find two more copies of the Romeo Tubbs #27, and you tried for days, and failed to do that. Then you decided to insinuate I am a dumb American and that most Americans are. Just because I shattered your "assertion" all to hell.

So....I have a few questions for you.

I've always wanted to know this.

Do you have a Queen? King? Princess or three? Prince or two? (serious questions)

(feel dumb?)

Yes, it easily lets me see through your idiotic assertion that a low-print Canadian version/variant is somehow the same as a "mas produced" US comic.

Seriously, I could produce scans of price variants, error covers, overseas issues, etc. that probably don't have more than 5 existing copies (if that), but again, what does that prove when I have stated over and over and over that I am referring to MASS PRODUCED comics, no low-print variants or country-specific versions with minuscule print runs.

For an example, try finding even 5 of these. I guess by your illogiic, that means BA is far, far, far rarer than GA, right?

124559.jpg.9d9e0dbff2c506322d7dae8ecc4dd7fd.jpg

124560.jpg.c62fd1ec7f2dea884c16e60a9854e86e.jpg

You are the one who stated that there "should" be several hundred copies around, of comics from every era, "somewhere".

So, find several hundred copies of the "other" books I scanned. Try Buck Rogers #1. Could there have been a more mass produced comic book of that era and of as popular a character?

You made an asseertion that sounded good when you made it. But is totally wrong. Find 50 copies of Silvr Streak #NN. Another popular and mass produced "American" comic book in its era.

You are wrong. You know you are wrong. Yet, you try to justify your assertion that comic books from every era "should" exist in the several hundreds, "somewhere".

It was a dumb assertion and statement that you wish you had not made. I understand.

Show me forty Buck Rogers #1's or forty TNT Comics #1's. Or forty Silver Streak #1's. Heck, show me half those numbers, "somewhere".

You won't. You can't.

There is a reason Ernest Gerber has scarcity #'s 10, 9 and 8. Not all are correct, but most are. Blows your hypothesis out of the water.

There are obviously comics of all era's that are rare. Some extremely rare. Wake up and smell the coffee. You can't make an assertion then back track and add caveats to the original statement, and not expect to be challenged to prove your case. You said this,

"There is really no such thing as a "rare" mass-produced comic book from any era, and several hundred examples likely exist (100+ confirmed) of even something like Action 1.

The only exception are low-print editions like this (with a print run smaller than the existent copies of Action 1), which are not the same thing as a standard, mass market comic book. I mean, there are those "Museum" moderns that were artificially limited to 1 copy each, but I doubt anyone would trade a AF 15 for one."

Was Buck Rogers a mass produced comic book of a popular character, in 1940 "America"? Do you really believe there are several hundred Buck Rogers #1's around "somewhere"? I argue it was one of THE most popular comic books of the era.

We were not discussing who would trade what for what. You said every issue of a mass produced comic in "every era", likely exist, in the several hundreds.

Get a clue Canadian dude.

buckrogers1front.jpg

You're welcome.

Thanks for taking this thread off-topic, esp. as you presented books from a totally different era in comics.

To take it back to the OP's question: whether Gobbledygook # 1, an early 1980s book, deserves to be priced in Overstreet's as more valuable than any book from the 1970s.

I'm not sure it shouldn't be.

Fact is, TMNT defined a pop culture generation and crossed over from comics into general pop culture. At least for the kids of that generation, TMNT are far more famous than say...Wolverine.

So I have no problem with their first appearance--in a mere ad--limited to 50 copies, being "worth" more than Hulk 181 and the other '70s price variants (mainly, Star Wars # 1 $.35 and Iron Fist 14 $.35.)

The problem is authentication and, frankly, demand. I'd personally pick TMNT 1 over either of the Gobbledygook issues (and have). Just like I reckon most folks would rather have an Action 1 than a New Adventure 26 or Detective 15.

As for the Copper vs. Bronze debate, TMNT 1 was a book that I knew about and desired long before I started reading X-Men and learned about Giant Size X-Men 1 or Hulk 181.

As someone who collected in the early 80's as a kid, I much more wanted a TMNT 1 or Gobbledygook 1 than Hulk 181.

Hulk 181's were everywhere. Every major store had one or more.

The comic store I worked at had many. Heck I've seen a short box full of them.

I always thought the book was over priced. Even 10 years ago.

Now TNMT, we had a mid grade copy of TMNT 1 once. It didn't last long.

And Gobbledygook 1 was this mythical book we never saw but only heard about.

Star Wars 35 cent variants are also semi-easy to find in comparison.

I've bought 2 4's and a 2 for less than $10.

As we all know, its all about supply and demand.

The trick I guess is knowing how long the demand will last.

I ran into a Gobbledygook #1 and 2 along with a TMNT #3 error cover at an Ohio convention way back in 1993. They were priced at $50 each. Being 15 at the time, that was way out of my price range. I bought a #3 1st printing (regular) instead. :facepalm: Although I've gotten a #3 error since, that remains the only time I've ever run across the Gobbledygooks.

Its tricky because of the rarity. Both have the potential of firstitis syndrome.

Star Wars in high grades (9.2 and up) and Goobbledygook in any grade.

While the Gobbledygook got over 10K (Which is what the SW1 9.4 sold for). I doubt it could get that again, unless maybe it was a 9.6 or better copy.

Overall I'd go with SW1 as a safer bet to win in price if we are talking around 8.5-9.4.

Where as in 7.5 and below I'd say the Gobbledygook would win out. But its not an easy match up.

Gobbledygook 1 is in my humble opinion, a most interesting key. It's not a variant and it is arguably not the 1st appearance of the TMNT but rather a back cover advertisement. Yet it remains, according to Overstreet and the comic book market, one of the 2 most valuable books of the last 40 years. Perhaps this book is not a key but rather, an "anomal-key," - that is, a book that is a key for reasons other than those that traditionally define a key book (1st app, early crossover, etc.) The reason why this book is sought after- 50 copies of a book that is desired by a large mass of TMNT collectors. Thanks to everyone for making this a most interesting thread.

I would too but there are some people out there that will pay a fortune for this book simply because the TMNTs are advertised on the back cover. It's really an interesting basis for defining this the key book of a comic book age. It's also interesting to see that it was a book that only a very small percentage of people ever had an opportunity to get one. The door was closed before the remaining 99.9% of comic book collectors and readers ever knew it even existed. And the book is more valuable than every BA key with exception to the 35 cent price variant Star Wars 1. Quite an interesting story in my humble opinion.

Or are you just another dumb American who thinks we all live in igloos and hunt polar bears. lol

Do you have a Queen? King? Princess or three? Prince or two? (serious questions)

(feel dumb?)

In the name of cross border relations I think we should all just agree to disagree, don't you agree?...or disagree??. Opinions are funny that way...

Keeping on topic, as an avid TMNT collector (recently collecting cgc graded items) I have to say I would sell my igloo and polar bear to get a copy of Gobbledygook #1. I already renounced my Queen, Princess (or three), and jar of peanut butter (Canadian price variant on the red top Kraft kind - pink when north of the arctic circle) to get a CGC TMNT #1 so GG#1 is in my sights (no polar bear joke here as I already mentioned it)...

I have an employee who is a closet comic book fan and I always show him my Heritage catalogs. We ew and ah over key books together but when he saw the gobbledygook #1, you would have thought he has seen the risen Savior. He was literally beside himself. He grew up with the Turtles and to him this was the book. So all us 40 somethings have to understand we don't understand.

I've seen people go nutty over this book. While it's not a "mainstream" book, it is treated as if it was. This book should not be categorized like a mainstream key. Gobbledygook 1 is a comic book oddity.