• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Rankings 2011

211 posts in this topic

Fantastic report.

My 2 cents: Comic Link needs to go bye-bye. Hopefully another comic online site will take their spot.

And if you are either reading this, C Link, or those Cal-hating unemployed fanboys with too much time on their hands forward my post to you - stop sending me catalogs. A waste of paper. save a tree, save my time, send to someone else.

CAL just won't forget - ever

Strictly out of morbid curiosity.....what is it that you will never forget?

Fantastic report.

My 2 cents: Comic Link needs to go bye-bye. Hopefully another comic online site will take their spot.

And if you are either reading this, C Link, or those Cal-hating unemployed fanboys with too much time on their hands forward my post to you - stop sending me catalogs. A waste of paper. save a tree, save my time, send to someone else.

Strictly out of morbid curiosity.....what is it that you will never forget?

And what catalogs is he getting from CL?

Curious about that too - they mostly correspond via email. I think Comiclink may send out a single page, double-sided flyer, but I have never heard about them sending out a full catalog before.

And what catalogs is he getting from CL?

Fantastic report.

DAMN !! What a grudge.

Nice report Brian, but I really feel you should include the little guys who help preserve those multi-million dollar books that 4 of the top 5 dealers and countless others on your honorable mention list. :whistle:

Also, when you finally make this into an annual book like the overstreet, I got page 3 and the back cover. I called it.

Nice report Brian, but I really feel you should include the little guys who help preserve those multi-million dollar books that 4 of the top 5 dealers and countless others on your honorable mention list. :whistle:

Also, when you finally make this into an annual book like the overstreet, I got page 3 and the back cover. I called it.

:gossip: honorable mention

Fantastic report.

I like the free catalogs from HA - I can get $20 - $25 for them locally at shows. lol

Can't understand how that guy who runs PristineComics wasn't mentioned. hm

Besides flooding the market with SS books and asking prices on his stuff around 800% over GPA, seems like a good dealer to work with.

Who me??

FK--no surprise that this is a much-appreciated thread that you provide every year. Here's my question for you: As an Overstreet Advisor, what would the likelihood be of having something like this drawn up and included in the market report? If the point of that section is to give collectors a sense of where the market is moving, wouldn't it be helpful to go a step further and give them a sense of where to go to pursue these hot books? Most people know you as one of the established, knowledge collectors here and value the insights you provide. What would the possibilities be of broadening the audience even more?

Who me??

the little guy :makepoint:

Nice report (thumbs u ... but doesn't Foolkiller buy mainly comics that are higher-grade?

Certainly and Foolkiller is probably also treated better by dealers than the average collector (me) b/c he is 1) super nice & sociable (unlike me) and 2) spend more than I would. That said, it doesn't change that his assessment seems fair.

Number 5: Bob Storms, Owner: Highgradecomics.com, Commack, NY

Pros: I would trust Bob implicitly. In fact, my wife knows that if I suddenly "disappear" and she needs to sell the comics, there's really one thing she needs to know: Call Bob Storms.

I feel the same way.

Who me??

Im confused. I thought I was the little guy (in terms of the market) who helps preserve your million dollar comics??

Who me??

Im confused. I thought I was the little guy (in terms of the market) who helps preserve your million dollar comics??

I am a little guy right there with you (thumbs u

Number 1: Metropolis Comics, Owners Steve Fishler and Vincent Zurzolo, New York, New York

Pros: I can hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth from here. How can you pick Metropolis #1 again? They are the devil! Fishler is evil! They overgrade all their books! They're too expensive! They ship too slow! They don't immediately return my phone calls and emails! Vinny was a jerk to me! Fishler screwed me!

Folks, I am well aware of these individual complaints. And one thing is crystal clear, Metropolis is the #1 dealer in comics. It's not even close. Not -- Even -- Close. They may not be your favorite dealer and you personally may not want to deal with them, but when you look at what they sell, how many clients they have, their reputation broadly amongst the public, and the notoriety they have gained, it's a no brainer.

They are the number go to source to sell or buy the most important book in the hobby, Action Comics #1.

They uncovered one of the most impressive GA finds in recent memory, the Atlantic City collection.

They (whether you like or don't like the pedigree) found the Suscha news pedigree this year.

On any given day you can walk into their offices and they are literally overwhelmed with collections, high grade materials and boxes of gold, silver and bronze age.

If you had a huge book, like an Action #1 or Tec 27, I think it's unquestionable (unless you had a personal issue) that you'd have to consider Metropolis as one of the first sources to sell a major key.

They're the only dealer with a sizable, established auction house in addition to what is likely, the largest inventory of vintage material that exists.

I know it will pain some people to acknowledge it, but to me, the facts are clear. Metropolis sits at #1.

Cons: There is always room for improvement, and for Metro it always revolves around the same things: customer service, pricing, and personal interaction with even "the little guy". I think a lot of folks feel ignored by Metro because they don't spend $10k for a book. I'm sure there is a "prioritization" of customers, as there is in any business. Metro seems to engender more controversy and ill than is probably fair, but some of the criticisms are.

Bottom Line: The best there is at what they do.

I have to say that I was him-hawing around about a book that Metro had at SDCC and Frank had been helping me. It wasn't a particularly expensive book (less than 4 figures) but Frank took his time showing it to me.

Although I inevitably did not end up buying the book due to the Mike Mayhew art I bought instead I did make an effort to stop back by and thank Frank for taking the time to show me the book. He seemed a tad surprised that someone was actually doing that and I think that in many cases both sides of the table could learn to be a little more courteous to each other as it builds better relations like this.

He offered to let me layaway the book which if I don't find a nicer copy within the next couple of months I probably will if it's still available.

Thanks Frank!